Club talc & shaving cream in FRWL

Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

I've had a replica of the talc tin 'tear-gas cartridge' for several years now - I bought a black and gold tin back in 2015 and have always thought that it might be the correct base tin seen in the film. All the details were lining up, but am still unsure if it's the same size. The tin looks smaller in the film, taking into account Desmond's hands are quite larger than mine. I have since seen another tin elsewhere that looks pretty much identical, except it might be smaller and more robust, and that one could be the one from the film rather than the type I have here. Anyway, a couple of old pics of my example, which came with a fair bit of rust here and there and gold areas around the top half had darkened before I buffed them up a little. Note the side-sliding tab on top as seen in the film.

More recently I picked up another copy of the same tin, but in nice shiny condition and went about making a more accurate label. Happy to say that both these old and new tins are still full with talcum powder. Updated version:

Moving on to a lesser-known prop, you may have seen this old black and white image of the attaché case opened, showing several items inside. Attention is drawn to the other, taller Club accessory next to the talc. A can of deodorant, or another powder tin perhaps?

Turns out this other item is also seen in the film - in Bond's attaché, when he grabs his PPK just before going to dinner on the train. This shaving can is seen against the left wall of the case, and we glimpse a nice bit of detail from the label as well as the business end of the can which has a spout and coin-edge knurled cap with raised arrow on top. The top cap is a button that you rotate to unlock. When the arrow lines up with the spout, you push it in to release the contents. I found a vintage can of shaving cream which matches these details - except we can see the bottom rim is missing on the screen prop, which leads me to speculate if the prop was meant to be a hidden compartment for another, perhaps unseen item?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52717033786_8356e60807_z.jpg

The order of colours on both tins match nicely, and as one who sadly doesn't own the attaché and many of the other items found inside, it's exciting to at least add what is considered a very minor, overlooked prop, and complete the 'Club After Shave' set. ♣️

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

Beautifully done: getting vintage typography right is a tricky job and you've nailed it.

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

Cheers for the feedback, mate. 👍️ All text was altered in some way from the original fonts. Would still like to make a few tweaks here and there, but overall pretty happy with it for now.

• B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

Looks great - well done

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters

Quentin Quigly,

Love this, particularly the shaving cream can. Very well done! I love vintage Bondiana.

DG

So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent

VERY well done, Andrew!!!!!

I've read that the larger can was used to store Bond's silencer. As you said, the bottom unscrews.  --Ed

Ooh that's a cool little tidbit, thanks.

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

Thank you for the kind words 🍻

Yes, there's a distinct thrill one gets from collecting the vintage gear, whether it be from '60s film or Fleming novel. Bringing those items back into the light makes them timeless, and you also appreciate how things were crafted back then.

Wow, great detail there mate. Of all the possible items I was racking my brain to think could fit inside the can, I somehow forgot the silencer. I suppose there might've been a custom tube in there so it can slot right in the middle snugly.

That is a huge amount of aftershave to take away with you if you're only bringing a small briefcase, isn't it? 😄 I mean, he's a hairy guy, but all the same...

Some thoughts on the hidden compartment: Bond's FRWL suppressor is much longer than the entire shave can. Was there another suppressor supplied for this film? The can could fit the earlier suppressor from DN - the one that was slotted into the not-PPK-not-PP Browning when assassinating Professor Dent. If you were to empty the can and even drill through the ceiling a bit, max height you'd get inside is about 11-12cm.

edited December 2023

Hoping everyone has a very Merry and Bondian Christmas. 🎄⛄️🎁

How about some Christmas-related props? Shout out to @danjaq_0ff for one of these. 🍻

Can you link Christmas to each item in the photo? (Don't count the gift wrap!)

• mailedfistmailedfist united kingdomPosts: 115MI6 Agent

Skyfall radio - "It's not exactly Christmas is it"

Very good, @mailedfist! That's one of seven. Bonus points if you can also name all the adventures these items belong to.

• mi6ppkmi6ppk Posts: 70MI6 Agent

Dr Jones ID - Thought Christmas only comes once a year

edited December 2023

@mi6ppk That's great! Yes, all the Christmas jokes surrounding Dr. Jones. Lets start the list:

Radio transmitter (SF) - "Not exactly Christmas, is it?"

IDA ID tag (TWINE) - property of Dr Christmas Jones

Club talc (FRWL): Bond refers to the attaché case and its contents as a "nasty little Christmas present".

-

-

-

-

• JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent

The Club Talc: "Nasty little Christmas present."

That's right, @Jellyfish! Added to the list. We're getting there, very slowly...