Bond music reconstructions

mattjoesmattjoes Posts: 8MI6 Agent

Hello,

I just wanted to share some of my most recent Bond music reconstructions.

And a little cover of the Bond theme, inspired by the pause theme of the GoldenEye 007 video game.

Enjoy!

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,802MI6 Agent

They're wonderful work, best I've heard.

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters

Very nice work. I especially enjoyed hearing the Gondola Chase. I've always been disappointed by the lack of James Bond Theme on the Moonraker album, and your reconstruction does a good job of evoking the original as heard in the film.

• mattjoesmattjoes Posts: 8MI6 Agent

Thank you.

As I understand it, LPs could hold 45 minutes of music. I wish they had included more on the Moonraker album rather than just 30 minutes.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,991Chief of Staff

Very enjoyable, thank you.

• lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent

These are excellent, I've also listened to the goldfinger reconstruction which is excellent.

Please do more .

• Agent EternalAgent Eternal Athens, GreecePosts: 167MI6 Agent

"Yearning for James" is amazing. Can't understand how it missed the album release.

Good job!

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters

Very nice, @mattjoes. Some of those transitional John Barry pieces such as the arrivals at Zorin's and Drax's chateaus are some of my favourite short cues.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,259MI6 Agent

Lovely stuff. Thanks for posting.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Thank you very much, mattjoes.

• mattjoesmattjoes Posts: 8MI6 Agent

Much appreciated, many thanks.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,802MI6 Agent

Wonderful!

• MarkerMarker Posts: 104MI6 Agent

@mattjoes I hope you don't mind me gate crashing your thread, but just by chance I found these on YouTube. I was going looking for somewhere to share them when I saw your thread.

First up The Living Daylights given a rock twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czllVg7SepU  

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

And finally, the Bond theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5N_v4eY9o  

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,982MI6 Agent
    edited June 23

I absolutely agree with that. Great work! It really is a treat to hear 'Gondola Chase' as an isolated track.

The MR gondola sequence constituted perhaps the broadest comedy in a Bond movie for which John Barry ever composed a complete piece, but still he managed gracefully to combine a sense of lightness with atmospheric notes of drama. Barry 'got' that this was a self-parodying but exciting sequence which, for example, juxtaposes funereal themes with a cameo by Brit comedian Alfie Bass; there's a possible in-joke, there, about Cubby Broccoli's former connection with the coffin making business. I've always enjoyed the tomfoolery of this sequence, almost as much as anything else in the film.

And I've always loved the passage of 'Gondola Chase' which is represented in @mattjoes 's reconstruction at 1.40-2.00 (in the youtube file). Accompanying a cartoonish collision with a gondola occupied by an oblivious pair of snogging lovers - and the amusing spectacle of their bemused punter sinking into the canal - it's a passage which musically connotes disorientation and some sense of gravity before the humour exquisitely rebounds in a quirky strings signature and the piece reaches its end. It reworks an MR action theme first heard during the movie's PTS freefall stunt, where it carried a tumbling sense of the circus; here, it's a low bass undertow. (David Arnold worked in, briefly, a similar interval during his long, busy piece for the Thames boat chase in TWINE; starting with a pause, after a big explosion, when Brosnan checks his sat nav and decides to steer his vessel through a canal intersecting the river, where he splashes some nearby vehicle clamping officers.)

Generally, Barry's use of the symphonic arrangement of the Bond theme in 'Gondola Chase' recalls his use of it in TMWTGG. It's really MR which 'institutionalises' this variant (already nostalgic - we hadn't heard it for five years): it's recognisable as Barry's post-Connery, Roger-friendly Bond theme.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.