In London for a week in April - what to buy?

Hi, fellow ajbers; back after a fashion 'cause of real life stuff. A drag, to be sure, yet here we are again.

As the title says - will be in London for a week in April as a good friend of mine is having a bunch of us over for a long overdue reunion. Will take advantage of it and visit some shops for Bond-related purchases that I can fit in my luggage without adding the customs extra cost (EU national, so Brexit has been a bummer for UK purchases). Which begets the question - what's available?

As I have stated here and there, I don't like the "007" branding, so I'm looking for items such as those that might have been screen used. Can you imagine a spy wearing clothing with his Agent number on them? Me neither.

So, where to go? I read that OB does not have the Setter available in its original Sky colour, but an approximation, which could work for me with the plus of it not having the Bond label. What about N Peal? I see the GE jumper is available under a different name. Anything else?

Of course, I think I'll pay Turnbull & Asser a visit in order to check their tie range and possibly the odd shirt. We'll see.

With that in mind, any other suggestions on where to go and what to check out? Budget is an issue, I'll have to allocate purchases, but would like to browse as much as possible and then decide on what to get. Thanks in advance.

And should any member want to meet I'll be delighted to share a chat over a pint or your choice of poison. Just PM me should you be so inclined.

Again, many thanks in advance for your help, insight and suggestions, and hopefully I'll share some pics over my return home.

Best,

P

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
"The very words I live by."

Comments

• Hold CommandHold Command LondonPosts: 368MI6 Agent

N Peal certainly and that puts you firmly in St. James and Jermyn St. territory which is chock full of Bond brands and in general just makes you feel like a true gent shopping the finest wares :D.

From memory there is a branch of OB just minutes from there too so certainly worth a look.

Of course not far from there you have Lock and Co. if hats are your thing, Floris, Geo F Trumper and also Taylors of Old Bond St. (Not specifically a Bond used brand but both their shop and products are excellent and best if British).

If shoes are of interest than Crockett and Jones are also close on Jermyn St.

• CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,368MI6 Agent

Don't forget Connolly & Anderson Sheppard

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

Short stroll from Jermyn St the lego store still had the full size lego DB5 up last week, which is always fun to see, and of course the two budget options for the kits themselves.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

Of note there are two Crockett stores on Jermyn St - both great but staff at larger one have always excelled. They can sometimes find an odd pair of discontinued models. The Norwich (worn in Spectre) one such example. recently discontinued but they had a couple of pairs left recently.

OB is at the top of the Burlington Arcade - over the road, opposite N.Peal, as you head north (away from Fortnums - in Fortnum's you can buy bean or ground Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee) they took over the old Brunello Cucinelli space. If you want to go and see BC now you head up New Bond St.

Swaine, who did the FRWL attaché case and Globe-trotter are also in Burlington arcade and the Bollinger bar is still there with some Bond bits on display.

Obviously if you're walking round these places you'll be passing Duke's with regularity - buying a vesper martini requires neither luggage space nor import duty when returning to the EU!

You may be too late for the Harrod's exhibition (due to be replaced by easter eggs at some point - for shame) but it was still up after the original close date so maybe worth phoning and asking +44 (0)20 7893 8777 as it was well worth seeing. You can also enjoy a cocktail made with the new Macallan decades.

Selfridges or Battersea cinemas feature a load of Greg Williams photos and you can usually pick up a copy of his Hollywood Authentic paper for free.

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 419MI6 Agent

Thanks for your input! Sure, the Jermyn st area is a must. My question was more in the line of what products remain available in stores. Shoes are probably a no given how I can get both Church's and Crockett & Jones in Europe without the customs added cost, and even a pair (plus shoe trees) would mean going over the weight limit for luggage in my flight back. May pay a visit to Drake's, though. And does Anderson & Sheppard means the henley is available? That would be great!

My current plan would be:

• N Peal in order to check sizing, the GE jumper and the SP blue mock turtleneck (I believe those are the current offerings without the 007 labeling).
    • OB in order to check sizing, get a couple of OB-Ts and perhaps a blue equivalent shirt for the Morocco train outfit.
    • T&A for the ties and the odd shirt.
    • Perhaps an appointment with Mason & Sons/Anthony Sinclair in order to comment some issues about one of their suits and check other available stuff.
    • Benson & Clegg for the NTtD tie bar.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated. 🍸️

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 419MI6 Agent

Got one, may get a second in order to freshen the wardrobe. Thanks for the reminder!

And thank you all for your valuable suggestions thus far. @Royale-les-Eaux, the Vesper operation WILL be carried out, thanks!