The Guns of James Bond - New Project from Commando Bond & Headstamp Publishing

Hello all!

Long time reader, first time round putting a post together! I wanted to publish a post announcing a project I have been working on as of late with the amazing team at Headstamp Publishing, the folks behind the Vickers Guide series among other firearms industry leading reference books and coffee table publications, regarding the guns of James Bond, spanning his entire history - all novels Fleming or otherwise, and every screen treatment of the character.

This volume will celebrate not only the tools, but their real world history, utilization, and impact. In addition, the publication will feature interviews with operators from the CIA, DSS, SAS, and more as we analyze and celebrate the real heroes who have used these tools, and often, whose use of them impacted the world of Bond, or in other cases, the reverse.

Primary source documents gathered from manufacturers will be shared here as well, as well as in-depth, detailed photography of the firearms - roll marks, sight pictures, grips, finishes, and so much more, in addition to a variety of editorial, lifestyle imagery built to bring 007's world to life.

A full synopsis and discussion of the volume can be found here in our announcement post: http://commandobond.com/the-guns-of-james-bond/

A teaser article of a vignette from the book surrounding the Omega watches of Bond & sharing some of our photography work can be found here: https://www.watchesofespionage.com/blogs/woe-dispatch/bond-a-case-for-omega

In addition, I am writing with the hopes of connecting with and learning from those of you who have worked as archivists and researchers in this vein over the years! With EON's unwillingness to provide licensing to any stills etc, any and all help and assets would be greatly appreciated! Thus far we have traveled to two of the most exclusive firearms collections in the United States to capture some of these firearms, with more on the way!

Thank you all for your consideration on this, and I look forward to providing additional updates as this progresses!

Best,

Caleb

(@commandobond)

Comments

• CommandoBondCommandoBond Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    edited May 2023

Some examples of the profile and lifestyle photography!

• DinwoodieDinwoodie Posts: 5MI6 Agent

My highly customised CS9. Better than the A.S.P.

• CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    edited June 2023

Sounds like a fun and interesting project; I have no doubt everyone's anxious to see the final product. The layouts alone look really nice.

You'll have to forgive the perception by some that the guide has the potential to simply be more influencer marketing given the nature of the business of "created digital content." It's been my experience that influencers aren't nearly as interested in the input from real-world "good guy" gear users unless those users also have an online presence that can reciprocate the exposure.

I edit, therefore I am.

I appreciate your excitement here, it's been something I've been so keen on putting together for a number of years, and finally have the capacity to tackle.

I entirely respect and understand the concerns respecting the "influencer" culture that fails frequently in understanding that digital content is simply a means of contact and communication, a place for experiences to be shared, but not the end all be all of things.

People matter, as do their stories, and regardless of "clout" that may be present online. Most often it is those who rarely share that have the most important things to tell, so I do hope that this volume accomplishes its goals of sharing these stories. It's the celebration of them and their tools that most excites me about this endeavor. The bulk of the firearms we have captured thus far have come from some incredible private collections, and from people who expressly have requested to remain unnamed. This did not prevent us from working with them, far from it. So I hope the carried notion does not find its way here.

For those skeptical or with questions, I am happy to discuss this project at further length. Cheers - Caleb!

007’s Shoulder Holster.

The Berns-Martin Triple-Draw Shoulder Holster, as issued to James Bond in the novel Doctor No in 1958.

Fleming made a number of errors throughout his novels in respect to firearms, but his pairing of a Berns-Martin holster & a Walther PPK was one that drew a good amount of ire from his firearm-fluent fan base, as the holster is specifically made for revolvers, making the pairing impossible.

The holster was recommended to Fleming by Geoffrey Boothroyd during their correspondence that led to the evolution of Bond’s weaponry, but to be paired with a Smith & Wesson Centennial Airweight (shown here in the holster), Boothroyd’s preferred replacement sidearm.

Fleming instead selected the PPK, in part thanks to a 1952 article written on the small automatics of WWII sent to him by Boothroyd, and paired it with the prescribed holster. The Smith & Wesson does make an appearance in Doctor No, as Bond’s heavier duty pistol, and is utilized at the end of the novel, never to be seen again.

In any case, I am thankful to have both pieces captured to celebrate in the upcoming book on the Guns of James Bond with Headstamp Publishing. My thanks to https://vintagegunleathertoday.com/ for loaning 3 beautiful examples of this holster, in addition to a number of other Bond rigs for us to capture.

The split front holster is a fascinating design which, especially paired with the inverted way it carries the handgun, produces a very unique drawstroke for the user. More to come on this one in the upcoming book! Incredibly excited to share it with you all!

The Guttersnipe Sight.

One of the most unique sighting systems devised, and one that gets a great amount of love and description in the Gardner novels, particularly in its debut in "Role of Honor."

One of the things I am most thrilled about with this project are the editorial, lifestyle assets we have put together to help bring Bond's aesthetics to life on the page. With EON/DANJAQ's lack of enthusiasm about any firearm related project, photography like this will invoke the moments that make Bond and his tools shine, and in the case of the literary Bond, provide unique assets that provide a glimpse into the world imagined by Fleming and other authors.

This is a BTS shot from one of the most recent photoshoots at a private collection with myself and the team at Headstamp Publishing! Sincerely excited to continue sharing as we progress further!

Again -  I am writing with the hopes of connecting with and learning from those of you who have worked as archivists and researchers in this vein over the years! With EON's unwillingness to provide licensing to any stills etc, any and all help and assets would be greatly appreciated! Thus far we have traveled to two of the most exclusive firearms collections in the United States to capture some of these firearms, with more on the way!

Thank you all for your consideration on this, and I look forward to providing additional updates as this progresses!

Best,

Caleb

(@commandobond)