Making the Goldeneye 007 remote mine

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I hope it's the right place to talk about my project.

After 7 Goldeneye mines replicated over the 10 last year from the famous Saitek Joystick hack, I started a new project about a year ago.

I'm still making Goldeneye mines, but I try to mimic the feel of the one from the game. Same design with the LED pattern and the beeps, but smaller with a strong magnet to toss them around and I add a small vibration motor to ehance the overall experience. I also add weight for a better expérience in hand. The idea is to give the feel that it may be a military explosive engine ahah (even if making a bright LED pattern with beep for a bomb is not very tactical...)

I document the whole making process with my success but also my fails on Instagram for those interested :)

Search for @makingthemine or go directly here : https://instagram.com/makingthemine?igshid=ZGUzMzM3NWJiOQ==

For now, I'm still prototyping but it is a lot of fun !

Let me know what you think ! Thank you for your time !

Tagged:

Comments

• 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

Hi frenchgoumard and welcome. First off, yes, I think we should show off the efforts that reinforce our love for most things Bond. Your mine looks great and always super bonus when ‘they do something’.

When you’re done, perhaps you can produce the lock decoder as well?

let me know if you want to sell one of mines….I have 3d printed static version.

Enjoy.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,706MI6 Agent
    edited May 2023

I love them! Do they make the pleasing whoosh noise when you toss them onto a wall? 😁

• FrenchGoumardFrenchGoumard Posts: 12MI6 Agent

@00Stirl thank you very much for your message ! The door decoder is actually a real project in my head ! I think it's a Tiger game console repurposed with LEDs and a rubber numpad. It would be an awsome item to do. But first I have to finish my mine prototype :) Probably by this summer it will be ready ! I'll let you know when it is. Thank you for your support !

@emtiem Ahah that would be an awsome feature ! A motion sensor connected to small speaker would do the trick but I'm not skilled enough for that ! Maybe for the second version if someone can help me ahah ! Thank you for your message !

• Alex1995Alex1995 France/GermanyPosts: 339MI6 Agent

Welcome on ajb!

Really nice project!! Always cool to see something fresh and a more "WAF prop collectable" than our piton gun, shark gun or knife collection! 😁👍

Well done et merci pour le partage !!

- François

1.GE 2.FRWL 3.CR 4.FYEO 5.LALD 6.TSWLM
    7.GF 8.TLD 9.TND 10.SF

"Where’s Fekkesh?” “Pyramids.” *thwap* “AHHHHHHH!”

The door decoder is actually a real project in my head ! I think it's a Tiger game console repurposed with LEDs and a rubber numpad.

Ha! I didn't know that- looking at the two you're quite right. What with this and the mine being made from a joystick, it seems like the props guys on GE were real gamers! 😁

@Alex1995 thanks to you ;) I can share my passion here grâce à toi.

@emtiem yes probably ! And I like to think that they were in a hurry to come up with props made out hacked toys. But maybe it is always like this even in high budget movies.

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

Really nice project, mines are well crafted - loving how they're scaled to the size of the mini push switch. Low-poly version looks cool too. It is a long term goal to have the three mines functioning, and great to see others are working on the video game props which is strangely still a largely untapped area.

The door decoder requires either two Tiger handheld games (that is, one, plus the back half of another, unless you remake the back casing to hold the insert card which for me is the preferable option. There should be plenty of reference photos on the net and perhaps this forum to help with that project. During the films' run, Tiger released a now very rare GoldenEye game on the same shape handheld as well as another pistol grip/joystick-style handheld, so I imagine the idea to turn one into a prop came around the time of product placement being arranged.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2023

Thank you @Quentin Quigley for your kind words and your information about de the decoder !

Making the three mines from the game will be the next step but I recently realised that the proximity mine has only four green leds and no grippy pad, making this mine not that visually intresting. And the timed mine has blue leds (according to the pause menu) and is quite ugly for me ahah.

Artistic choices will have to be made :)

I've only just seen your low poly one: that's an absolute hoot!

Imagine if the 007 Store sold these as fridge magnets- I think we'd all be buying them up!

Maybe I should write to them to ask if they want to mass produce my proposition of the Goldeneye mine. Ahah

The low poly one I designed needs a bit of tweaking cause the LEDs and the switch are currently too small to match the game shape. But I have too try with the big LED and the big switch from the scaled one :)

Intresting project !

edited May 2023

Here an image of my mockup low poly mine for context.

More on my Instagram page @makingthemine :)

• TheQuartermasterTheQuartermaster Posts: 3MI6 Agent

Here is my Goldeneye mine, made using the Saitek joystick base.

I’ve started in the door decoder but haven’t finished it yet.

Hey great build ! :D

Does it light up ?

I would really like to see you decoder too :)

Thanks alot

It's does light up, it's got a bleep to it as well.

Once I've got it finished, I'll make sure to upload some pics

• B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

If I remember right the door decoder is a repurposed/modified handheld LCD game from Tiger - you can still find these on eBay

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

Indeed, from the looks of some screenshots it's two fronts and a rear to get the depth

I have one I bought from a prop maker a few years ago. It’s a good reproduction but need to attach a card shaped PCB at the back for accuracy

Do you think this propmaker is still working ?

Can you give me his name or the adress of his ondine shop ?

no Longer contactable unfortunately

Arf too bad. I suppose I'll have to build one myself...

For those intrested, I'm right now making my last batch ever of mini remote mines from Goldeneye 007 :)

Ahah no more... I can't make mines all my life. I need to stop before it consumes me !

I'll anounce the final sale on Instagram 24h before the release if you're intrested :)