LALD buzz saw watch

Hi,

I decided to make the compressed air buzz saw watch used to cut the rope in LALD.

See photos B, C and D. But I have run into a bunch of issues and was hoping this community.

might have some info I am missing.  So here are the issues I am wrestling with:

- after consulting with an engineering friend, we sort of came to the conclusion that the

prop with the internal vanes, to be used with compressed air (the one based on the Syd

Cain drawing, photo C), probably wasn’t functional. I am looking for any info / photos

or video that can prove that this version worked or was used in the film.

- if we look at photo A, a screen capture of the cutting scene, we see that the watch dial has

white markers, and a time of 12:36 (these prop watches have their movements removed and watch

hands are glued in place).

For the compressed air watch, photo B, we see yellow markers and a time of 10:08. Based on this

I believe that the compressed air watch was unable to function as designed and they actually

hooked up a motor to a diff watch to complete the scene.

I would like to hear other people’s thoughts on this or be able to share any inside info or photos

you might have for this prop; not interested in the magnetic version of this watch prop.

Thanks Ken

Comments

• 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

Just a thought……the phosphorus could have ‘aged’ so gone more yellow over time? Defo air version only with fixed everything else. Just not enough room for rest of watch guts.

I hadn’t seen the pics before so thanks.

so much more appreciate the effort by film makers for special effects. To me CGI has pretty much ruined film industry. Impact on jobs must be huge.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,709MI6 Agent
    edited May 2023

I always presumed the watch in the film was just a watch face mounted to the end of a hand drill, with a fake Bond’s ‘wrist’ just being a bit of something painted pink! His skin looks a bit plasticky to me anyway.

But then your photo B does feature the same hole drilled into the end links as visible in the shot in the film.

As Stirl says, the difference in colour of the indices is just because of the effects of time; they wouldn't have been yellow when it was made. It shows it is a real Rolex dial with genuine lume though!

Other folks have made functional ones: there’s a clip on YouTube of one which seems to be motorised, plus WMT watches sell a quartz-powered working Rolex homage with a free-spinning face (and buzz saw toothed bezel!), although the spin isn’t powered.

I’ve thought perhaps you could make it spring loaded rather than motorised?

You could maybe start with one of these as a lot of the work is already done for you, and it's a pretty good lookalike for a 5513 too.

Another person's version from about 12 years ago:

There's not much in the way of details about how he made it though.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

I’m not a fan of CGI, especially where practical effects can be achieved and are more convincing, but I don’t think it’s ruined the film industry. When utilised well CGI definitely has a place. As for having an impact on jobs, I’d say these have increased, you only have to stay for the end credits of most movies today to see the countless FX houses and personnel used.

Exciting project by the way, looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent

KEN!!! SO great to see you back on AJB. I remember you were the first to make a spinning watch face on your watch. Since then, as others have stated, have done the same. There's even a version that "pops" up made by another AJB member, Jamie (Jamster531) 12 years ago.

All I can contribute is that I met with Ken Adams when I visited Pinewood while doing research for the Attache' case and, noticing I was wearing a Rolex Submariner, he told me how they had taken one apart and made it powered by blowing compressed air into the vanes placed inside. He also confirmed that, in the close-up, that is a fake hand that had the compressed air hose inside.

Here are some additional photos you may not have seen including that early model you made.

Keep us updated, Ken. Looking forward to see what you come up with. ---Ed

edited May 2023

All I can contribute is that I met with Ken Adams when I visited Pinewood while doing research for the Attache' case and, noticing I was wearing a Rolex Submariner, he told me how they had taken one apart and made it powered by blowing compressed air into the vanes placed inside. He also confirmed that, in the close-up, that is a fake hand that had the compressed air hose inside.

That's extremely cool! I do kind of wonder why they didn't just stick it on a drill, but I guess maybe they didn't know what the final shot would be when they were designing it and I suppose the initial idea would be that an air hose could be fed under the bracelet if an actor was actually wearing it..?

As a kid I always wanted it to be just the bezel which span, because the whole face spinning is a bit silly, plus a spinning bezel suits the design of the watch more. But I suppose it wouldn't show up on screen as well.

• juggle57juggle57 Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    edited May 2023

Thanks for all the input:

• there were two marker lumes back then and I believe that this was the yellow one and aged a bit, I have seen vintage ones with white lume and the lume ages, but not that much
    • there were a number of versions of the watch and all had the bracelet holes of some sort in them
    • while Cain's drawing says the watch is supposed to pop up when spinning, if you look at the film it doesn't pop up.
    • Ed, thanks for the pics, I have been working off those as well. I would like to have a chat with you, can you please send me your phone number if you are up for it
    • I am determined to make a compressed air version, above is the prototyping so far.
    edited May 2023

We don't seem to see it pop up, but when Bond turns it more in side profile as it cuts into the rope, it looks like it might be in a slightly raised position similar to Ed's fourth photo. I assume that's so it can cut the rope easier, plus the air actually has to escape from under the bezel I guess otherwise it would explode! Or maybe the caseback isn't on tight.

The prototype is looking amazing; what a great project to replicate the mechanics of the film prop.

I'm sure you've seen this vid which has lots of shots of someone handling the film prop:

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

The hands on the film watch look like they were attached to a fixed, thick pin. Have a look at the image in the link below that shows the pin popping out of the brass. I would think if the hands were simply glued on, there would be no need for the dial to have the pin going through it.

What you're seeing with the aged, yellowed prop's hands at 10:08 is simply a presentation thing that watchmakers do when displaying a watch. Look at any new watch advert and the hands are at roughly 10:08. You often see this too on Brosnan/Craig watches at the Omega exhibits. The reason for the hands being in this position is likely to give a sense of symmetry to the face and also to showcase all the text and other details on the dial without the hands getting in the way.

The buzzsaw face pops up in the film, but not by much - maybe no more than 2mm. Also in the pic I linked, it shows holes around the circumference of the brass below the bezel to allow air to escape.

Image link: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52894343379_8aa353ef0b_o.jpg

The internal vanes you made look great, by the way. Looking forward to seeing more of this aged version, complete with yellowed hands and lumes. Been working on a motorized version since forever and made a lot more progress recently. Love how the Sub watches are getting so much attention in this anniversary year!

The piton watch had a spinning bezel, and that looked awesome! Spun via air too, along a thin clear hose. You can see it complete with hose at Omega exhibits.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2023

Oh yes of course; yeah I loved the spinning bezel on that; it really sold the ‘reeling out’ thing. I didn’t know it was done with air, thank you, that’s very interesting.

I wonder if the variance we see in the lume yellowing on different watches may not be because Rolex would often replace dials on watches sent to them for servicing?

This is easily my most favourite Bond gadget of them all so forgive my excitement about your project!

After all the great input, I gave the compressed air a try and proved myself

wrong, they definitely used it.

I have it all figured out but having trouble getting submariner 5513 replica cases and bezels.

Does anyone know of any resources for these?

Thanks Ken

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent
    edited May 2023

Finally figured it all out and it works as designed, just need to do the parts in proper brass

and decide how accurate I want it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/y8Af8isq08I?feature=share

That is a fantastic sound 😄

So the air sort of pushes the bezel up away from the body by itself? That’s handy.

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters

Ken,

I must say, everything Ed said about you is true. You are indeed an excellent prop maker with an eye for detail. Can’t wait to see this fully realized.

DG

So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Yes, the air pushes the bezel up and away from body, you can adjust the height

• Alex1995Alex1995 France/GermanyPosts: 339MI6 Agent

Really nice!! Well done!!

I'm looking forward to seeing the further processes!

Cheers

François

1.GE 2.FRWL 3.CR 4.FYEO 5.LALD 6.TSWLM
    7.GF 8.TLD 9.TND 10.SF

"Where’s Fekkesh?” “Pyramids.” *thwap* “AHHHHHHH!”
  • juggle5juggle5 Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    edited June 2023
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,134MI6 Agent

This is so cool! Well done so far.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent

I love this. Looks great.

1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."

Brass pieces are done, spins faster and longer due to weight of brass

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

Fantastic.

• bondsan65bondsan65 Head of Station BPosts: 38MI6 Agent

Just marvellous. Wonderful job !

Refreshing to hear there's one subject you're not an expert on...

Looking sharp.

All done, well almost, just final assembly.

Definitely harder than I thought.

• thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent

Ken, your attention to detail and execution is amazing!!!! --Ed

It's a wrap, thanks to everyone for their help and support....

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters

Ken,

I have to say, that is balls to the wall awesome! Love it, just love it!!!

DG

So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    edited July 2023

It’s absolutely superb, what a brilliant project.

May I ask, what does the thick brass ring on the caseback do? I know the original had it but I’ve always been curious why. I thought it’s where they must’ve plugged the hose in but it doesn’t look like it works that way..? Is it a mounting point for the fake wrist?