Strombergs Atlantis

In the movie The Spy Who Loved Me, what is the real color of Strombergs Atlantis? It looks more black or gun metal but in the model shots it looks more olive drab with weathering ?

Comments

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited June 2023

It is a deep olive with some forest green elements.

• TheButcher001TheButcher001 Posts: 9MI6 Agent

Thanks. I’m trying to build a model of it and was trying to figure out the color for painting.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,706MI6 Agent

I think it's hard to tell as the colour balance of these old photos is slightly variable. I'd be tempted to say it's just painted in greys.

Plus obviously some algae/rust detailing in green and brown.

Thanks. I know what you mean. I see black, gray, olive green, even at times it looks like gun metal. Appreciate the input.

How can I paint some different color panels on the model? Do you recommend masking tape, stencils? If I paint it an olive green and want to put some small panels of dark Hunter green or black, what’s the easiest way if I don’t own a spray gun?

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

I use painter's tape when masking off - the typical cream-coloured paper tape, but occasionally I'll find the adhesive still ruins the surface shine a bit, leaving matte streaks or lines where the adhesive made contact. Perhaps if the panels are small enough, you could try painting the center of the panel first, then when you get to the edges, hold a strip of thin card along the edge as you paint that edge. You might be able mask the area off with plain paper held on with magnets on either side of the plastic.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Good luck with the model. Looking forward to seeing some pics when done. It was such a cool lair. They just don't make 'em like that anymore sadly.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Thank: you both. I’ll take pics when it’s finished.

Just finished it. I’ve always liked the Atlantis and the undersea base. “Well, everyone needs to have their dreams. No dream, Mr. Sterling. Soon a reality”

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff

That is amazing 🤩

YNWA 97

Great work there! It doesn't get much more Bondian than Atlantis.

🍷

• texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,347MI6 Agent

I love it!

• B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

Well done - looks fantastic

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

When you said you were making an Atlantis model I didn't realise you were making a replica of the prop of Stromberg's plan! What a brilliant idea; it looks absolutely amazing. Can you give us some info about how you made it? How did you get the shape of Atlantis itself?

Thank you so much. Glad you liked it. I found a 3D print model online for sale of the Atlantis. It’s not exactly accurate but it’s very close and it saved me a lot of time. It was empty inside so I had to build the inside like the helicopter bays, etc. I then just tried to build the base by those few pictures from the movie. I used a lot of 1/700 scale ship parts and the domes were made of glass that I painted. It was fun. I always wanted a model of this when I was young.

I like that you say you always wanted a model of this when you were young. That's the true passion right there, my friend, so well done again and enjoy it!

• KleynenKleynen BelgiumPosts: 396MI6 Agent

I absolutely love this. Great work. Thanks for sharing!!!

• UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent

Excellent work!! 👋

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

It's impressive work, and the complete diorama came as a total surprise. Close-up images of that yellow submersible can be found online.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.