NAL/Macmillan/Viking Book Club Editions Question

Hello all; I'm building my meager Bond collection by picking up the various book club editions by (it seems) New American Library, Macmillan and Viking.

As you can see by the attached photo, I'm ALMOST there, but I'm missing certain volumes.

Live and Let Die, Diamonds Are Forever, The Living Daylights and Octopussy, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

After scouring ABE books, eBay and Amazon, I can't find any editions that have the same style of dust jacket. Because I am weird like that, I'd really love to have a complete matching set. If I HAVE to remove the dust jackets, then so be it, but I'd really like uniformity when it comes to the set.

Can you enlighten me?

Am I using the wrong search terms?

Were these volumes never issued by a book club?

Thanks in advance for your help! Bonus points for links!

• Bill

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent

the 007 Magazine website has pretty good info on the different printings of the books

is this the same series? they call it the the ‘Dollar Mystery Guild’ series, rather than New American Library, Macmillan and Viking, and show the front covers rather than the spines. but the colours and fonts seem to match, and most importantly they claim the series was incomplete.

Looks like the only one youre missing is Diamonds are Forever, and as a film tie in may not satisfy your need for stylistic consistency! but you probably still need it!

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,224MI6 Agent

@caractacus potts is correct, these were the “Dollar Mystery Guild” book club series, and in fact, this is a complete set of all 9 books published in this set - there are no more, so, well done, it’s a lovely collection to own. There are other covers to collect though when they were re-issued at a later date.

Just a point of interest - never dispose of the dust jackets on hardcovers if you’re wishing to protect the value of the book.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • BillMizeBillMize Posts: 2MI6 Agent

While I'm disheartened that my part time perfectionism won't be satisfied with a complete set, I'm happy to know that I've got a complete set, so to speak, of something called the "Dollar Mystery Guild"!

Thank you both so very much for your responses, it was appreciated and hopefully will help someone else out in the future as well!

• Bill