Bond Continuity Theory: CR is a continuation of the Brosnan era and is not a reboot
Ok so here is where the mud slinging is probably going to take place. I hold the controversial view that CR is NOT a reboot and is simply following on the same chronological timeframe as all the other films. There is no separate universe for the Craig films – it is the same one that continues on from the Brosnan era. Bond is an experienced agent returning to the secret service following DAD rather than being a rookie gaining his 00 licence for the first time.
I realise I am not the only person who shares this view. Some others have previously said similar things but I intend to present a full analysis of the film and use evidence from the film to back up my viewpoints.
I present you two versions.
The short version is an overview of the questions I came up with. If you don’t want to be overtasked, just read the short version and discuss the questions I pose.
The long version, unfortunately is very long, and might be a tough read. It is my in-depth analysis of the questions I raised from the film detailing why it is more logical for Bond to be an experienced agent in the film rather than being a rookie. There are also my comments on other things that happen in the film that also help to back up my viewpoints.
The Short Version:
1) Why is M the same person from the Brosnan films and why does she have the same office?
2) Why does M send a rookie Bond to kill Dryden, a person in such a prominent position?
3) How does Bond know it takes 2 kills to get 00 status if he is a rookie?
4) What does Bond mean when he says “Yes, considerably” in response to what Dryden says to him previously?
5) If the film is about Bond becoming a 00 agent, why is there no scene detailing the moment he actually gets his 00 status?
6) Why does Bond, a rookie agent, seem to be working alongside Carter, another rookie?
7) If this film is meant to be a prequel, why is it specified many times that the year is 2006 and why does M say she misses the Cold War? (This question only applies to people who believe Casino Royale is a prequel to the other films in the series).
8) Why doesn’t M have Bond arrested when he breaks into her house and accesses her computer if he’s just meant to be a rookie?
9) When M is speaking to Bond in her house, why do many of her comments seem to imply Bond has been in the service longer than what is shown on screen? (More details in the long version)
10) Why does M go to the Bahamas to visit a rookie agent?
11) Why does M say to a rookie Bond “Well, I knew you were you”?
12) Why doesn’t M just send Bond simply as a card player to wipe Le Chiffre out? Why does he need to go as a 00 agent?
13) Why would M risk a rookie agent continuing on to beat Le Chiffre after nearly being poisoned and told to get to hospital?
14) Why would Bond resign so quickly from a relative short time in the secret service after falling in love with Vesper whom he has known only for a few days?
15) Why does M say to Bond that they need him back after just this one mission?