Who is the modern day Roger Moore?

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,807MI6 Agent
edited July 2023 in The James Bond Films

People sometimes compare today's actors with actors from the past, such as George Clooney as the modern Clark Gabler. Scarlett Johansson as the modern Marilyn Monroe is another one. Tom Hanks and Jimmy Stewart is a third example.

I started thinking: who today is the closest to Roger Moore? By that I mean classic leading man looks, affable, liked by everyone, jokes a lot, best known for his light-hearted style in movies. Who?

Chris Pratt perhaps?

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent

I guess Ryan Reynolds is up there, possibly.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,807MI6 Agent

I'm onboard with Raynolds, but is Jackman known for his jokes and light-hearted movies?

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

Roger was one of a kind. . .

Vox clamantis in deserto

I was counting down for someone to say that. It took 66 minutes. 😂

(I'm not saying you're wrong, Hardyboy. But it can be argued that all great movie stars we're one of a kind.)

Okay.

edited July 2023

I still question if the light-hearted movies and humor Jackman is best known for, but I hear differences of opinion are legal in democracies. 🙂

He does musicals, so I'd certainly say that light-hearted stuff and charm is in his wheelhouse.

I'll accept that.

The evidence seems to be conclusive .....

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent

whoever he is, please introduce him to EON quick so we don't have to endure another 20 years of Grumpy Bond

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited August 2023

Deleted

I think James Norton could be a great modern Lord Brett Sinclaire.

edited July 2023
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,144MI6 Agent

Past their peak for Bond but I think Hugh Grant and Ewan McGregor have some of Roger's traits.

McGregor when smiling has always reminded me a bit of Roger;

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I actually had Cumberbatch down in my head for that, I think he'd do a good job.

edited August 2023

I forgot Benedict Cumberbatch, I'm going far as to say he's definitely the modern Roger Moore, why did I forgot him was beyond me?!

I'd liked to thank @emtiem for reminding him to me, I really see Roger Moore in him.

He is, he's the modern Roger Moore!

His voice, the way he talks (watched Spider Man No Way Home, he had that), and even his face:

No, not Norton, no, not Heughan, it's Cumberbatch!

Sorry @Number24

Moore Vibes from Cumberbatch!

edited August 2023

We already have a winner in here, it's Benedict Cumberbatch, he's the modern day Roger Moore!

Man, he really looked like Roger Moore (his face and his voice).

And even his acting, very much like Roger Moore.

Is Cumberbatch classically leading man handsome like Roger Moore? 🤷

edited August 2023

I'm not sure anyone is as ridiculously handsome as Roger was (and I mean that: he was like a sort of parody of a good-looking man!) but he has got that twinkle and light comedy touch.

if it were a few years ago I'd have put the two Sherlocks (or the two beardy superheroes, depending on your point of view), Cumberbatch and Robert Downey Jr. in a new version of The Persuaders.

The Cumberbitches? 😁

He does, but he's hardly traditionally handsome.

Yes, being handsome is all he need.

But aside from that, the way he acts, he talks (especially his voice), he's really Roger Moore (a posh, somewhat arrogant but lighthearted, matured I don't know 😅).

Only one that's missing, and that's the looks, and he would be a perfect modern day Roger Moore! Cumberbatch is currently at 95% of being Roger Moore, the missing 5% is the looks (being handsome).

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,144MI6 Agent

I might throw Tom Hiddleston into the mix. Very much a lover not a fighter, a good sense of humour, handsome (not as much as Roger of course) and has that touch of class.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I see him as the modern version of Pierce Brosnan though.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent

the case for Cumberbatch is quite persuasive!

as for him not being quite enough of a prettyboy, Brosnan did have those prettyboy good looks and yet could not do the funny charismatic stuff Moore did so effortlessly (and he kept trying). Many of his pickup lines come off as creepy (especially in DAD). so I'd rather have imperfect looks and more charisma.

I like this idea of Cumberbatch and Downey playing the new Persuaders! they even have that Mutt and Jeff tall/short thig going on! and Downey could easily do all that irrelevant adlibbing Curtis did