Can't change/edit my email contact address

Don't suppose it matters as I'm not sure anyone needs it, but though I changed my password okay, it won't let me amend my email - saying usernames need to have so many characters etc, not sure why that's relevant as I'm not changing that...

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited December 2023

I think it comes down to you having two separate words as your username. Under the old forum software prior to the March 2021 forum upgrade this was perfectly fine. You as Napoleon Plural and I as Silhouette Man could change our profile details as we pleased. However, now that the forum software has been changed over to Vanilla it means that you can't create such a new username with two or more words separated by a space. So now it would have to be NapoleonPlural or Napoleon_Plural. I think that this must have something to do with the hyperlinking of names that the addition of the "@" symbol brings now under the new Vanilla software. For me it would also have to be SilhouetteMan or Silhouette_Man etc. In other words, the two words would have to be linked by being either joined together or attached together by a dash or hyphen. Sadly if you have such a two word (or more) username here historically before the changeover you can't seem to change your email address, your location, your signature, pick a favourite Bond actor etc. as it doesn't seem to recognise it as a valid username now. I suspect that it would take a change in username by the admin or mods for that to work now so that the space can be removed and the two words merged together.

That's what I think is going on, anyway. 🙂

To be honest, I wouldn't mind being able to change my profile details myself. I'd like to be able to change my email address as my current one has been infested with spam and a fresh start would be nice. It'd also be nice to be able to amend my signature and pick my favourite James Bond actor too. If that meant amending my username to something like Silhouette_Man then so be it.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent

Thanks, @Silhouette Man or should that be @Silhouette_Man?!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited December 2023

Coming soon: @Silhouette_Man now with added bells and whistles. 😃

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

I just tried to edit my profile again myself and got this message in red. I guess that confirms it then - the forum software doesn't like the lack of an underscore between the two words that make up my username: