Obscure SPECTRE Agent Question (Thunderball)

I've wondered about this for years - and posted about it on other forums - but no one has ever been able to answer it:

The SPECTRE agents that meet with Blofeld and Largo in Thunderball (starting at 8:45 into the film) aren't actually credited at the end of the film, but a number of books and online resources identify the actors and match them up with their SPECTRE agent numbers (including IMDB). In my attached photos, I've confirmed that the actors are matched with their (uncredited) numbers.

Working away from Blofeld, the numbers seem to zig-zag back and forth from left to right for awhile, get mixed up where #8 should go (subbing in #13 and #14), and then reverse course (right to left) for the last four.

Does anyone know where these actor/# pairings came from? Some are obvious from the film. When Blofeld asks for a report from #7, Cecil Cheng answers. But most are never referred to by number and - again - they don't show up in the closing titles. Did someone just make these listings up, or is there a reason to believe they're accurate?

There is also a guy sitting at the front of the original SPECTRE meeting (Gary Colleano). He is listed on IMDB (and elsewhere) as #11, even though Murray Kash is also listed as #11 and is clearly referred to as such in the scene. But Gary shows up in a later scene in the film, along with Jaron Yaltan (whose #14 screws up the original counting sequence). This makes me wonder if maybe they were identified in a call sheet or something like that?

Any ideas?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff

Firstly, welcome to AJB007- I hope you enjoy yourself here and do more than ask one question! 😀

However, I for one can't answer it! It's never occurred to me to try and work out exactly who the SPECTRE agents are, apart from obvious ones such as Andre Maranne. I hope someone can help!

• MrBigglesworthMrBigglesworth Posts: 11MI6 Agent

Thanks! I took you up on the invitation and just posted a second (maybe-even-more-obscure) question. :)

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,222MI6 Agent

I can’t help you but welcome to AJB, keep those questions coming, they are interesting!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent
    edited January 8

Whoever suggested the man seated in front of Blofeld was No.11 clearly has never attended a top level SPECTRE meeting as this man is obviously taking notes; he's the stenographer.

Is the woman in your third picture one of the secretaries in the human rights set up outside?

According to Wiki, No.4 is Count Lippe - where did they get that from?

So is No.8 the one marked as No.4 on your plan?

What status did Jacques Bouvard have - No.15 perhaps?

This is a serious piece of research and work, and I am flummoxed as to how to respond other than to say I also have absolutely no idea and have never even considered who these characters exactly were. Amazed to see all the actors listed. Like the unnamed gangsters at Goldfinger's ranch, I assumed as they were not mentioned specifically it simply isn't important to the main thrust of the plot.

• MrBigglesworthMrBigglesworth Posts: 11MI6 Agent

Thanks, chrisno1! A few notes & replies:

cn1> Is the woman in your third picture one of the secretaries in the human rights set up outside?

Yes! Good eye! She is Jackie Noble, the 'Agency Secretary.'

cn1> According to Wiki, No.4 is Count Lippe - where did they get that from?

Not sure. He's sometimes referred to as 'Sub-Operator G' or 'Sub-Operator L' in the novel or the screenplays, but I don't think he ever got an official SPECTRE number.

cn1> So is No.8 the one marked as No.4 on your plan?

No one ever seems to be credited as #8. #4 shows up in two different scenes, and it seems to be Neville Becker both times.

cn1> What status did Jacques Bouvard have - No.15 perhaps?

Jacques was definitely #6. That's why that chair is empty during the SPECTRE meeting.

Thanks again for chiming in! I'm sure you're right - they just weren't important enough for anyone to really spend time worrying about them. Only crazy people like me. 😀

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent

Ah, yes, sorry, I forgot about empty chair No.6. Wiki meanwhile does love to be wrong occasionally ! Or perhaps they really meant No.8 ? It makes me wonder anew, what number or sub-operator is Fiona Volpe ?

• JillspectreJillspectre Posts: 10MI6 Agent

the dress and clothing of the Colonel is very fashionable for the 1960's

• JillspectreJillspectre Posts: 10MI6 Agent

does anyone have any photos of the scene.....I have some but always looking.....of course I have role played that scene out

• Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent

This is some high level research! I never even thought to think about the way the chairs are setup or who is sitting where.

Great piece of research here.

1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    edited March 1

In the movie Lippe is referred to as "SPECTRE agent" and in the script as suboperator L. In movie Volpe is referred to as an agent of the "Execution branch".

In the script Rosa Klebb is referred to as nr 6.

Here's the script, if you want to comb it over for more detailed info / corrections to the above. https://assets.scriptslug.com/live/pdf/scripts/thunderball-1965.pdf

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech