NTTD grenades

Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

I started this project back in 2019, with the release of that very cool image of Bond standing in Safin's lair in tactical gear. My attention was drawn to the small grenades carried on Bond's bag's shoulder strap throughout the lair. Haven't seen them displayed at any exhibits, so I'm just working from behind-the-scenes images, and the film itself provided a few extra details but much less than I hoped. Was looking forward to seeing him handle them a bit, maybe get a nice close-up here and there, but sadly (in a movie full of missed opportunities prop-wise) they get dumped with the Go Bag and remain on its strap - efficient perhaps for Bond as he has to blow the lab anyway, but for me as a collector, I wanna see a clear shot of everything!

There's two designs, so I'm wondering if one is an incendiary or flashbang etc. Hopefully someone here can chime in and provide some info as there's been pretty much zero discussion of these.

^Inspiration and some of the better bts references available. Notice that in photo #2 (Bond walking up the spiral staircase), one of the grenade's fuse tops looks broken off and bent to the side a bit. I did not recreate that particular detail, but perhaps in time, through clumsiness...we shall see! Also, in photo #1 the rifle sling is draped over the top of that grenade, which is probably what broke it.

Now we can get a look at them sitting in the webbing on Bond's bag strap. I only made the two grenades - two more are photoshopped into the second pic below to see how they look paired up.

There's some wear on them in the film but I've maybe added a little more? It was a great learning experience painting scratches and wear that reveals 'bare metal', like the large scratch that can be seen on the ribbed one on screen. Working with four colours here. Ribbed body looks lighter here due to the camera flash. I put a screw in the bottom of each base which I think I see on the actual props but it's a good bit of extra detail either way. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

Comments

• ttdriverttdriver Posts: 202MI6 Agent

very Nice. I'm wondering if you fabricated them from sheet metal or did you use an already existing can for the base?

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

@ttdriver

The body, neck and lever handle was 3D printed in plastic. Fuse top and lever top is from an existing model kit. Original lever handle was cut off and new, smaller handle glued on. You have the typical spring-loaded primer sitting inside the top.

• bondsan65bondsan65 Head of Station BPosts: 38MI6 Agent

Wonderful work. Love them !

Refreshing to hear there's one subject you're not an expert on...
  • B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

Amazing - well done

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

• 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

👌 👍

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

The original props were made from slightly modded airsoft grenades if that helps.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff

More stunning work, Quentin 🍸

YNWA 97
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

Hey, thanks guys, and cheers for the info @Asp9mm. ✌️

• ttdriverttdriver Posts: 202MI6 Agent

Thanks for the information. Great looking props!