FRWL garrotte watch

i know a few of you have made this prop. I have a similar looking leather strapped watch. I have a retractable keychain and have worked on the premise that others have approached it in a similar way.

just wondering how others have merged the two components. As I see it no space in the case back to accommodate the keyfob mechanism without removing the quartz mechanism - at which point the watch doesn’t function or it is a static prop.

appreciate any input from those who have attempted/completed

thanks

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

Comments

• Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent

I would be interested in a functioning garrote, but the watch mechanism may be a static prop.

Please PM me at your leisure.

Cheers, Tom

• B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

It feels like the Apollo 13 CO2 scrubber scenario “we need to find a way to fit this into that using only this”

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,156MI6 Agent
    edited February 1

Get yourself one of those smaller retractable key chains, like the model in this pic:

https://www.officechoice.com.au/images/ProductImages/500/524695.jpg

I have one of these, they are smaller and from memory the thickness is about ~9mm. A small watch movement can be around 4mm thick - you would want to mount the movement directly onto the key chain casing, hopefully giving you around 13-14mm space in the watch case. Grant's watch sits high enough off the wrist that you can get away with that kind of height. The fact that the wire ring pull is quite large might give the illusion that the watch case is smaller than it is.

I finished a dial for this last year, and the hands in the screenshot are like slender leaves - they curve into a point, like many of the watches from that time. Time shown is about 11:24. Sub dial hand positioned at around 45°. No '6' marker is present, the sub dial sits low enough to interfere with that marker. Small detail nearly half way between the '12' marker and centre stem which is the logo. Sadly not long enough to read 'Girard Perregaux', but a simple 'GP' would size up nicely.

Wristwatch in the film may not have had a working movement inside, but possibly the watch hands fixed (think buzzsaw watch) or glued to the dial. The hands are not printed on a papercard dial, although this is how I intend to go about my own build.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent