Her Majesty's DBS Restoration Update: Engine Calamity!

Dear AJB Friends,

I am sorry to report that Her Majesty's DBS underwent a real gut punch following the presence of a serious rear main seal oil leak that led to the discovery of an unmitigated disaster inside the engine.

I was fitting the clutch onto the flywheel in preparation to install the dynoed engine (please see previous post on the glorious power figures), when I noticed that my hand was full of oil from underneath the bell housing. Off comes the flywheel ($180 in non reusable special bolts), and the horror of that leak was exposed. Packed up the engine, and back to the dyno shop, which has some experienced builders. The chap who built this engine has retired to Portugal, and I am left holding the bag....

Investigation teardown begins after a successful dyno run. There was big, expensive trouble under all of that glitter and power, though...

...And here it is: To access the leaking seal, the rear main bearing cap must be removed. Inspection of the bearing shell revealed serious, lethal scoring. We removed all of the caps, and all of them had grit damage and were toast. The rod bearing caps (big end) were also scored. Cams look OK, but that gorgeous 4,7lItre, 12 counterweight bespoke crankshaft must be reground and all bearing replaced. In all, a $25,000 repair bill, not including the break-in/test dyno run after assembly. $1800 in gaskets (head gasket alone is $700)

The oil pump shall be disassembled and checked for grit, and the entire block must be stripped and every channel and galley cleaned. Every plug removed, and the whole block put into a "Dishwasher" bath to clean and remove any grit. I saw shards of metal, which looked as if someone was drilling metal next to the engine and the shards fell in. There are other careless mistakes, such as the rear main seal not being installed correctly, which led to this entire episode of chasing problems. I would have never known what was inside of that engine, and it would have blown up when driving her. Thank God for that leak!

The red paint is called "Glyptal" and is excellent for sealing old, porous castings. The oil does not stick to the walls of the crankcase, and goes back down to the sump, where it belongs.

With this serious setback, I have decided to cease production on the DBS for the time being, until I can financially handle the incredibly large repair bill. I'm not a vindictive chap by nature- they would never have me in the SPECTRE Revenge Department, but I may have to sue the chap who did this to that beautiful engine. He is out of the country and untouchable now. I did find out that another chap with a Ferrari engine that he had blown is also looking for him! I trusted him completely, after knowing him for 25 years. You never want to have the first engine someone builds, nor the last!

Sorry for the disappointment. If anyone has advice on how I can sleep again at night, that would be great. Until next installment, which may be in the Spring of 24, best wishes for happy collecting.

Tom

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Arrgh... Tom... So sorry to read this latest report 😞 That just sucks on so many levels. You've been working so hard and had so many setbacks already, this just isn't fair.

I don't blame you for needing a break from this project for a while now. Start again when you're ready mentally and financially with renewed vigour. I'm sure we'll still see the DBS on the road again before Bond 26!😏

I think you should certainly try and claim against the guy, even if potentially futile. He has to be made aware of his handy work.

I have no remedy for your sleep deprivation my friend, but only try and remain as stoical as you can and remember as hard as it feels now that Your Majesty's Aston Martin DBS, WILL RETURN...

All the best, Tom.

🍷

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent

Thank you, Old Man!

Went in to the shop today and banged out a couple of jobs on the car. Once I get the work flowing, I'm in the zone and the setbacks just won't stop me from my goal of returning Her Majesty's DBS to the road and the green!

Nice of you to comment, and hope that you can see her someday.

Cheers, Tom

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff

There are always issues when restoring older cars…and frequently they are expensive ones 🫣

Glad you found out now rather than down the line when it could have been fatal 😱

Best of luck, Tom 🍸

YNWA 97