King Charles diagnosed with cancer

BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff

King Charles, who has recently been in hospital with prostate problems, has been diagnosed with cancer but not prostate cancer.

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff

His son Harry will be travelling to the UK "in the coming days". Charles will be stepping back from public duties.

• SoneroSonero Posts: 45MI6 Agent

Incredibly sad news.

Wishing His Majesty a speedy recovery.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Sad to hear of King Charles III's cancer diagnosis. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 198MI6 Agent

Terrible news. To all of my friends in the UK, you have my sincere best wishes for King Charles. I hope that he has a speedy and complete recovery from whatever form of cancer he is suffering from.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited February 6

I was just thinking of the change we've seen from the monarchy over the last few years. It used to be the case that the doctors and consultants weren't allowed to tell the monarch that they had cancer as it was felt kings and queens couldn't be told that. I recall the scene in Season 1 of The Crown (not always a reliable source, I grant you) where King George VI is coughing up blood and they put it down to breathing in the cold morning air when out hunting as opposed to it being lung cancer caused by heavy smoking. They kind of confirm him in his delusion to help put his mind at ease. Fast forward to today's times and King Charles III has come out and said he has cancer and he has been praised for sharing this diagnosis. Somehow it makes him more relatable to ordinary people than him having a euphemistic "mystery illness" as might have been the case in past times.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Wishing His Majesty all the very best with his treatment🤞

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent

Bit off topic but it's boring being in Britain today, if you live too much via the media. All the rubbish about Prince Harry visiting and seeing his dad for about half an hour, hardly worth it but damned if he does and damned if he doesn't I suppose, it triggers off this mad tabloid hate war, culture war and so on, quite hysterical.

Today we have Rishi being asked to apologise over some trans comment most likely aimed only at Starmer but... well, I guess the site doesn't do politics any more but it's like everyone everywhere has lost their sense of humour unless it's nasty and jeering, there's no uplifting national narrative at all. Everyone is just hanging on for the Tories to go, and even then they may nick it after boundary changes.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited February 8

Those are good points well made. I was at a meeting the other night and the people there were saying that they thought that the cancer must be bad as Prince Harry flew in from California so quickly. Kind of like when all of the main Royals flew up to Balmoral just before the Queen died back in September 2022. To that I would argue that it wouldn't be unnatural for a son to come and see his father on learning he'd been diagnosed with cancer and the fact that PM Rishi Sunak said the cancer had been caught at an early stage. It's hard to know either way and frankly it's none of our business anyway, no matter how high-profile King Charles III is. I have seen a few silly and insensitive articles online since the King's cancer diagnosis was made public but the crassness of this one undoubtedly takes the biscuit:

king charles: Kohinoor's Dark Secret: Is King Charles' cancer linked to the cursed diamond infamous for fall of Khilji Empire and East India Company? - The Economic Times (indiatimes.com)

On the trans point, I think it was just unfortunate timing on the part of Sunak and he does have a point about Starmer - it's hard to know what he really stands for or stands against given his rather vague manner and unfortunate habit of speaking through his nose. He's as dull as dish water too and he clearly couldn't wait to score a political point by bringing up the fact that Brianna Ghey's mother was in the House, albeit not in the chamber at the time. Two wrongs don't make a right and it seems to me that point scoring like this is pretty insincere and disingenuous in itself and suggests the one making it doesn't care much about trans rights either, just what political waves they can make with it.

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters

Quite so; life is the great equalizer. Hoping for the best possible outcome.

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited March 22

I must say this announcement is a shock - Catherine, Princess of Wales is undergoing treatment for cancer:

I wish her all the very best and a full recovery. I've always liked William and Kate.

• SoneroSonero Posts: 45MI6 Agent

Tragic news.

Wishing Her Royal Highness a complete recovery.

She has given hope and happiness to millions.

May God take care of her.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    edited April 1

The codename for King Charles' funeral is accurate but otherwise, no idea if that is a reputable news source or not. Does anyone know?

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

No, that was I was thinking. A friend sent it to me but I have my doubts about its validity.