Fanfiction

SastonSaston Posts: 1MI6 Agent

Whatever happened to the fanfiction that used to be a part of this site? Some of the stories were quite impressive and well-written. They were a welcome read during the officially authorised published adventures drought. I was just wondering. Has anyone have any knowledge why they disappeared?

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,420Quartermasters

The site has been through a couple of different formats since I first joined (20 years ago this year.) The fan fiction section was one of my favourite parts of the site back then and I enjoyed a few short stories and working on one of the collaborative novels.

I forget exactly when the first site upgrade happened (maybe around 2010), but at that point if I remember correctly we lost the fan fiction and the articles section. And then we upgraded to our current forum platform a couple of years ago. Sadly the fan fiction library is a long ago memory.

See the screenshots below of what the fan fiction section used to look like.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,319Chief of Staff

Golrush007 is correct (as usual 👍), though I can't confirm the 2010 date (I think it was a little later, but am not sure).

I've heard of something called the Wayback Machine, which may help here. I know nothing more than that, though

edited February 8

Going through the archives on Wayback Machine reveals that the site upgrade took place around May 2009. (We've been here a long time, Barbel!)

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

That's great to see screenshots of the old AJB. I was active here between joining in 2003 and 2005 and then I was on hiatus over on CBn Forums until 2010 when I very briefly returned to post so I don't recall the Fleming Centenary header. All of my posts and threads from 2003 and 2004 are gone and only a handful from 2005 remain. I returned to more or less full-time posting here in September 2012 and I recall the Articles Main Page section still being there then but it was lost later on, presumably in a forum upgrade. The current upgrade of the forum to Vanilla software took place in March 2021 and the forum looks and functions better than ever in my humble opinion.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

In those days I was in the habit of saving web pages that interested me onto my harddrive for future reference. At my university back then we had an internet data allowance of only 200MB per month, so any page I was likely to want to read more than once I would save. As a result I have a few examples of old AJB content preserved.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited February 8

Yes, I used to do that too in the early days of the internet when at school and university. I'd save the webpage to a floppy disk and print it out at home. Ah, those were the days. I don't think I have anything saved from the old AJB but I'd have to have a search through my PC hard drive to check. I didn't get the internet at home until 2013 and my participation here then increased as a result.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,319Chief of Staff

Indeed we have. Thanks for the accurate date!

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/comment/500743#Comment_500743

If you follow the link above, you'll find I reviewed a lot of Fan Fiction. I don't think the links are active though. If you want copies, I have them all saved somewhere, @Saston .