Taschen James Bond Dr. No

ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent

I so wanted to hate this book especially at £750. Previously The 007 Archives XXL first edition had come in @ £120 with a film strip, the second edition @ £150 for 700 pages where this new tome has under 500 pages. The first 007 Archives Art Edition was wrapped in gold leather, was signed by Daniel Craig and came with an art print by and signed by Sir Ken Adam and that retailed at just over £600 and was limited to 500 copies which this collector thought was a steal. The next Art Edition in XXL size also came with an art print signed by Greg Williams with the book itself being signed by Daniel Craig, Babs Broccoli and Michael Wilson which was limited to 1000 copies but the price tag had shot up to £1750! which Taschen have still not sold out of after raising the price to £2000! however back to Mr Duncan's latest tome which I'm not going to spoil for you here. It is huge, it weighs a ton and the last chapter captures the movie in colour screen grabs. There is one error. When Bond enters his flat to find Sylvia Trench (lucky blighter!) he is not armed with a Walther PPK but a Walther PP. When I announced this to the world back in 2006 at The Guns of James Bond auction at Christies I'd hoped one day it would sink in but I guess not! My one small criticism is the use of the Italian 1971 reissue poster artwork for the slipcase which utilised the 1967 McGinnis Connery YOLT artwork. It would have been nice if they could have utilised original 1962 artwork. Speaking of which, in the poster section the Japanese B2 poster which features the open hand revealing Bond's Walther PP is credited as being the 1963 original when in fact it is the 1966 rerelease! The author with a whole archive at his disposal should have got details like that correct especially as Michael G. Wilson is a Bond poster collector. Bearing in mind the book is not signed by anyone and @ £750 this is not the Art Edition which retails @ £1500, double the price for a nice glossy print not signed by anyone which is a Mickey take IMO, is this new book worth what appears to be an extortionate price which Taschen are charging/over charging? too bloody right it is! but only the tome itself and not the Art Editions. Personally, I now await with baited breath the James Bond From Russia With Love reinforced coffee table tome followed a couple of years later by the James Bond Goldfinger coffee table tome👍... author Mark Hazard

Comments

• B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

As the old saying goes something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It looks like a stunning book and I’d be tempted but agree the price point seems a bit steep but limited edition and I suspect will hold its value over the long term.

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff

It really does look a fabulous book…I reckon my collecting days are over though…I’m sure I'd have loved this, but I’m all out of space now 🤗 guess I’ll have to go into a bookstore and sneak a look at it there 🤣

YNWA 97
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent

Do you think they'll ever do a regular run of these?

• Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent

We do not know what (guaranteed: high!) licensing fees are paid per book, which helps drive the price.

A family member works at Taschen and can secure books if anyone needs one.

Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent

By the by (as Sheriff Pepper says) a Taschen rep plans to attend Prop Store's upcoming EMLA auction preview: https://propstoreauction.com/auctions/info/id/347 to share a copy of the new Dr. No art book.

I'd like to attend but won't be in Los Angeles until early May. Let me know if you'll be at the EMLA auction, I'll put you in touch.

Thank you.

Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited March 17

Virtually all the pics of this whatever the platform make it look the size of an average novel whereas it's actually a HUGE coffee table piece.