Bond Continuity Theory: Silva from SF is chronologically linked with the Dalton and Brosnan eras

sinlumsinlum Posts: 117MI6 Agent

Hi all,

I am back with a new theory for you all to think about. This time I will take a look at Silva in SF and see how his character backstory fits in almost perfectly across the Dalton and Brosnan timelines therefore arguing that the films are all linked in a chronological timeline.

Here we go...

When Bond first meets Silva in SF, Silva reveals that he was an agent working in Hong Kong between 1986 and 1997 also mentioning that he was the favourite of Judi Dench's M. In TLD, Robert Brown's M mentions that he will recall 008 from Hong Kong. I deduce that Silva was the original 008 in TLD since what he says in SF fits in nicely with M's line.

Dench becomes the new M around 1994 or 1995 but there is no reason why Silva would not continue working for her from Hong Kong. It is possible that after she left Hong Kong he started to show more resentment towards her and the service considering that Bond came back into the service in 1995 in GE and so Silva became jealous of the two. This would explain why Silva says that the situation in SF is about himself, M and Bond.

His service time ending in 1997 also fits in nicely with the events of TND. It is possible that Silva is the one aiding Elliot Carver providing him with secret information on the Chinese military. I deduce that towards the end of TND, Silva is found out by MI6 and handed over to the Chinese. The Chinese government subsequently establish good relations with MI6 following the events of TND after eliminating Elliot Carver and supposedly arresting General Chang as well.

These good relations are further echoed by Chang helping Bond in DAD. (I know though the Chinese are not completely trustworthy of Bond since they attempt to spy on him through the closet mirror in his hotel room!)

Silva being betrayed by Dench's M during the events of TND and seeing Bond "die" then return to active duty after failing all of his assessment tests in SF neatly explains why Silva behaves the way he does in Skyfall.