The Literary Bond's Beretta And The Effectiveness Of The .25 round.

MarkerMarker Posts: 66MI6 Agent

Firstly, I hope I'm posting in the right place!

Here's a well made video on the subject of Bond's (favourite?) sidearm which I'm sure many of you may have already seen but, for those who haven't.

As we know, there's been lots of discussion about the effectiveness of the little .25 round. In the following video, it's put to the test in an unusual way. Make your own mind up if you'd be confident of being on the wrong end of a .25 bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk32UDVtGpI

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

It’s a landmark video made by a long standing and respected member here. Giving the original 418 some love.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 66MI6 Agent

I wondered if the person responsible might be a member of the forum.

Further to the effectiveness of the .25, back in the day for lot's of gangsters (I'm speaking about actual gangsters, not the faux 'rap' variety) the little .25 pocket pistol was the weapon of choice. Easy to conceal and effective within the ranges they may have to use them. They would even carry .22 pistols.

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

In the right hands a .22 can be very effective. Mossad proved that to be true. Fleming himself carried a .25 Browning during the war. Although I’m pretty sure he wasn’t as lethal with it as Mossad was 30 years later with their Beretta 71’s. Even today those smaller calibre sidearms are carried more frequently by deep cover agents than their larger 9mm counterparts. The Walther TPH in .22 has an extensive history with real spies moreso than the PPK or larger calibre semi autos.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 66MI6 Agent

Here's another interesting video which compares to .25 and .22 rounds as fired from the type of pocket pistol Fleming's Bond was familiar with. I think it's safe to say that Bond would have been equipped with the best ammunition available at that time. Given the circumstances and close quarters action that he could expected to be engaged in, the criticism of Bond's little Beretta may be exaggerated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4KlRVa0h8