SHOCK and HORROR!

2»

Comments

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Joshua wrote:
    I struggled to try and like it (and tried to ignore the pouting!) but I turned off TND after seeing the worst fight scene in any Bond film - in fact I think any film.

To steal a phrase by superado. It was paint by numbers. You hit here I do this, I hit here you do this. Very bad effort by every one concerned.

And yet the Goldeneye punch up with SB was one of the best.

The one on the big crane thing?

I watched it on you tube after seeing your post. I agree that it is entertaining. I wouldn't say the one of the best but it is much more like what I would expect. My own bias against Brosnan (as James Bond not the man) led me to keep thinking he was going to say "Don't hit me in the face!" in between pouts and jaw clenching.

That said, because you convinced me of that scene, the next time GE is on TV I will watch it. I just hope I can make it to that fight scene before turning off though!
    Personally, if I had the choice I would have had Sean Bean as James Bond! He looks more of a killer instinct about him (cold blooded like Connery in DN)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    This was mooted at the time. However, word has it that while Bean could do an 'English' accent, albeit a bit stiffly like Ewan McGregor, his normal Sheffield accent (also English, of course tbf) was just too Northern-sounding, too working class for Bond, added to which that is the voice he'd be using on the chat show circuit internationally and it lacked polish.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • crazycanuckcrazycanuck Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    This was mooted at the time. However, word has it that while Bean could do an 'English' accent, albeit a bit stiffly like Ewan McGregor, his normal Sheffield accent (also English, of course tbf) was just too Northern-sounding, too working class for Bond, added to which that is the voice he'd be using on the chat show circuit internationally and it lacked polish.

That makes sense. A lot of my ESL friends (despite living in an English-speaking country for the past 10 years) can't understand Bean's normal Northern accent. They have to revert to subtitles when watching Game of Thrones lol

That's very interesting! I did not know that he'd been considered for the part. I think he could have brought something of the early Sean Connery and George Lazenby to the part (in terms of the toughness which they both had no need to act).