My posts are going nowhwere

HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

This happened multiple times in the last weeks:

I am writing a comment, try to send it out and it doesn't appear.

I can go back with the browser and the message still shows it but it's not send off.

Happened today again and I see a tiny sign that says that my post "needs moderation"

What is going on here?

Edited: Happens when I am trying to add a preview link to another AJB topic

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,645MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021

I don't know if it's the same thing that you've been experiencing, @Higgins, but when AJB changed over to the new Vanilla forum software I noticed a few little teething problems. Namely, these were losing a post i had just typed up when I pressed the "Post Comment" button. It happened quite a bit at the start and I lost a few lengthy posts I then had to try to retype from memory as best as I could. It happened so frequently that I got into the habit of copying the text of the post before I pressed the button to post it just in case it was lost and cleared the post box again. After this was brought to his attention @SiCo fixed it and also recovered any posts that had been lost due to this forum glitch or teething problem with the new forum software. Since then I've thankfully not seen any of my posts not go through or be lost to the ether as they had been previously.

That said, depending on where I am in my house when posting (usually downstairs) I have had some posts not go through on the first attempt or even after several attempts. I usually have to go to another room (upstairs this time) for the post to go through properly. This I merely put down to a lack of Wi-Fi signal on my smartphone or a lack of 4G or whatever. Not really anything to do with the site specifically. I'm wondering if this could perhaps be what you're experiencing too. I suppose it all depends on whether you habitually post on AJB on your smartphone or on a PC or laptop. The fact that you say that the message isn't lost to the ether and is still on your browser but just unsent suggests that this might be what is going on. Perhaps that's too simple an explanation of what's happening but I'll put it out there as it happens to me, especially if I'm downstairs where the Wi-Fi signal isn't as strong. Your comments are not disappearing from the posting box so it's not like that early forum glitch that was later corrected. A box usually comes up saying that your post couldn't go through and to try again later or something like that. I've not myself seen any box that says my post needs moderation. That sounds more like a forum "moderator queue" setting where each and every post needs to be approved by a moderator before it's allowed to appear on the forum. It can't be that though as that would happen with every post you went to make and anyway I don't know why you'd have been placed on moderator queue in the first place. Maybe it's a hitherto unrecognised forum glitch that has to do with adding preview links to AJB topics specifically? If so, it's another one for the admin to look into...

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

Thanks, SM.

Yes, I have lost a couple of lengthy posts in the same matter and it became frustrating to post on AJB I must say.

Would be interesting to know, if my attempted posts are somewhere visible for the moderators.

I have posted to Dolly in the welcome thread.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,645MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021

I lost some lengthy posts too but, as I say, that was in the early days of the forum upgrade while teething problems were still to be expected. I've thankfully not had that problem since the admin fixed the issue. It did make it a little frustrating to post on AJB at that time, yes, but I countered the risk by selecting all the text and copying my post text before I pressed the "Post Comment" button. I did this especially with lengthy posts that I knew would be exceedingly tedious to have to retype all over again.

I don't know what the moderators can see in terms of lost posts. However, I know that @SiCo was able to see all of the posts that were lost at that time as a result of the forum glitch so they must get saved into an archive somewhere and are not totally lost and beyond the bounds of recovery. Perhaps this is something that only an admin can do, however?

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    edited July 2021

@Higgins you have around 6 posts in the Spam Filter…I’m guessing these are all the same post?

It would seem that if you take too long to compose/post then these posts end up in the Spam Filter….Mods can see these but cannot read them, bar for an introductory line or two…if we ok them then you will end up with the same post showing X amount of times…I’ve no idea how long you have and the only way to correct this would be for @SiCo to intervene.

YNWA 97

Thanks, Sir Miles,

it took me around 5 minutes to properly search for the topics that I‘ve mentioned in my post.

Pretty sure other comments are taking longer time to write than is.

This is not acceptable and the message that the post is in the moderator line is so tiny that it‘s easily overlooked.

Yes, I agree it’s not ideal…

Some days there are no posts in the Spam Filter and others there are a few…

Spam posts are very easy to see in the Spam Filter itself…sometimes it’s not easy to see if they actually ARE spam or not…πŸ€”πŸ™ˆ

YNWA 97
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

@Higgins The same thing happened to me.

I like to take my time composing posts and I guess may consign it to the spam filter. I may compose in a word processing program and paste it over in the future.

edited July 2021

That explains it then. Thanks, @Sir Miles. I take it that the post box members type in must "time out" after a set length of inactivity and then archive the post in the Spam Filter?

I think I have noticed this phenomenon once recently when I started typing a post on my smartphone and then put my phone down and then decided to return to it a little while later only to find it had gone or maybe that only part of the post had saved. I can't exactly remember which. That's something I don't do very often which might explain why I haven't really been experiencing this in the way other members here might have been.

Apparently AJB uses the same software as other sites now…? Do these other sites have the same issues? πŸ€”

YNWA 97
    edited July 2021

I'm also a member over on MI6 Comminuty too and it uses the same Vanilla forum software that AJB switched over to in March. My experience with it over there is that it saves drafts after a short while of typing (even posts from years ago are saved) and the individual member has the option to later simply delete them by clicking on a small cross icon or to continue typing them out and posting them. The same goes for new topics a member may wish to start. These are saved in the "My Drafts" feature on their profile and the member can work on the new topic and post it when he is ready.

There isn't the same feature there where posts are archived in a Spam Filter only accessible to the moderators after a set period of inactivity from the poster. Suffice to say that even though both AJB and MI6 use the same underlying Vanilla forum software there are differences and nuances in how it is applied practically.

edited July 2021

I have never had those issues on other fora, but most of them are based on Tapatalk

I imagine it's probably nothing that the admin couldn't fix with a few little tweaks.

I do hope that the timeout period can be set/extended

Yes, that's the sort of fix I had in mind too. I remember that at the start there of the forum changeover there was a 15 minute window on editing posts. After that time was up, members could no longer edit their post. Perhaps the same thing applies to making new posts in the first place? @SiCo was able to remove this 15 minute restriction completely so maybe the same could be done with the set time allowed for making a post?

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent

Happened to me today. Was writing a track-by-track review of the NTTD soundtrack and the post got lost. Hopefully it can be ok’d and I’ll erase any duplicates? Thanks.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

That should be it sorted now, wotw. 😁

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent

Amazing work as usual, Barbel. Much appreciated.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent

Same here with posts not appearing after hitting ‘post comment’, is it because I’ve not posted for a while?

I don’t mind any delays approving posts, the one I posted in particular is not that important or about anything exclusive (just a discount), just hope I’ve not been red flagged or worse!

Murder | Employment.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

I think I've fixed that, please let me know if not.

• _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent

I have just posted something in the NTTD thread and then edited it.

The post has disappeared and there was a tiny sign, that my post will be checked for moderation 🀷🏽‍♂️

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Oh, I got that. I assumed it was so Barbel could check it for spoilers, but he didn't know anything about it. It then did appear shortly after.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

It's the "green trainer" filter, I suspect.

The posts are going into the spam folder…it’s happening a lot.

YNWA 97
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

It was a request we made to SiCo when the forum changed software 😏

YNWA 97
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent