Costume analysis regarding screen time, “value” in terms of story and identifiability - NO SPOILERS

SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent

Wanted to share my impression of screen time, “value” in terms of storyline and identifiability of clothing. 

1. Navy swim shorts at beach or rocky waterfront: only milliseconds, no identification possible. 
  2. Massimo Alba trousers with Connolly jacket plus A&S henley: very few moments, trousers hardly to be seen. Henley best to be seen on Lea.
  3. Massimo Alba suit with Brunello Cucinelli shirt and Drake’s moc-toe chukkas, Barton Perreira Joe: all huge amount of screen time. Sadly, I couldn’t really grasp the moment the Alexander Olch tie went off - quite some value for the story.
  4. Navy swim shorts with Orlebar Brown T-shirt: nice shorts - why haven’t they been identified yet? No Havaianas.
  5. Light grey Tom Ford denim with Tommy Bahama shirt: nice amount of screen time, Sperry Topsider’s hardly recognizable. Sunglasses by Vuarnet pretty good to be seen.
  6. Barbour Graham: not very much screen time.
  7. Tom Ford tuxedo: nice amount of screen time, quite some value for the story à la “There’s dinner jackets and dinner jackets.”.
  8. Rogue Territory jacket with jeans: Jacket only a glimpse to be seen. Jeans seem to be raw denim, no rivets on the pockets. Boots not to be seen.
  9. Tom Ford suits: Nice amount of screen time, the two Prince of Wales check suits remain in memory. Not sure, if there is a third suit at all, but I’ve seen NTTD only once so far. Barton Perreira glasses only moments.
  10. Massimo Alba green corduroy coat with black Massimo Alba trousers and Rag&Bone henley plus Crockett & Jones Molton: boots not really to be seen, could be any kind. Coat and Henley plus Connolly shirt: huge amount of screen time, especially the henley. - But WHY did it have to be this coat? Yes, it blends fine with the surrounding and has this “Once upon a Time in the West”-vibe to it, but is it stylistically in line with Bond’s formal business suits? Would love to hear Larlarb on this choice. Massimo Alba belt not to be seen.
  11. Commando outfit: most memorable outfit, huge amount of screen time, trousers and sweater with high value for storyline. However the trousers seem to be cut a little too slim down the leg. They should be worn wider and gathered above the boots, like military trousers - as that is what they’re supposed to be. Sadly, the whereabouts of the outfit are not explained storywise.

Perhaps you have other impressions or observations.

Comments

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent

For those of us who haven't seen the movie yet, this is very helpful. Thank you.

I was laughing the other day how I've been wearing the Massimo Alba suit for two years —from when it was first identified through the interminable delay — and most people in my life who weren't following NTTD very closely didn't know about the 007 connection. Now when they see the movie, they'll say, "Bond is wearing Cheverian's suit!"

• sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

Bang for buck it’s a hands down winner for the R&B Henley....huge amount of screen time. I’m amazed how some pieces are on screen for less than a few seconds and some are barely visible.

• apple8apple8 London,UKPosts: 141MI6 Agent

I’ve spent a lot of money on costume that is hardly seen 🤦🏼‍♂️

but at least I have the R&B Henley which is like @sunny01 says the hands down winner

• Hold CommandHold Command LondonPosts: 366MI6 Agent

Palladium boots barely visible, along with that awful jacket thank god.

I really don't know why Bond couldn't be in his suit for that scene, with perhaps a nice raincoat or overcoat on top, feels as if the streetwear was shoehorned in by DC.

Regarding the TB shirt, does anyone think Bond wears it for a little too long in such a warm climate?! I feel like he had an opportunity to change before his boat journey and probably should have taken it!!

And why couldn't the tactical outfit have had commander rank slides?! Would have been appropriate.

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

He’s no longer a commissioned officer in the RN. He works for SIS now. You can’t do both. And it’s not a naval operation so he has not entitlement to wear them.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • GaryorangeGaryorange Posts: 160MI6 Agent

Very surprised the RGT got such short amount of screen time. Has any DC outfit been shown for such a short amount of time. Especially one that got so much attention.

In comparison the Barbour did pretty well!

Of course you are correct, but it would have looked cooolll! ;-).

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

Indeed. Would have been good to see Craig in uniform.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent

I was on the fence about the Connolly jacket all pandemic. The things that kept me away were the horror stories of dealing with their customer service, the price, and the dishonestly - remember how we were told there would be no restock? After seeing how little screen time it got I'm really glad I never pulled the trigger.

• Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

The one bad thing in buying in advance. I think with the delays we all got hit in some way or another. I tried my best to what I REALLY liked and just hoped it would get some play. Mine was hit and miss but the R&B henley I felt good about purchasing. I cant imagine buying a TF jacket or something like that and it shows for 7 seconds. Although I did get the RGT and was super bummed about screen time, but I actually liked the jacket so it’s ok. I am glad I stuck with stuff I knew Id wear regularly though and then went alternatives for some other stuff.

Royale Filmwear made an alternative version of the Matera jacket in case you still were looking into it.

If you don't want to deal with Connolly, I've got a barely worn Giubbino jacket in size large that I'll be listing for sale here this week. I ended up buying an extra-large, too, because I love the thing so damned much and wanted one that fit perfectly. So now I have two. Yeah, I wish the Giubbino got more screen time, but I'm also glad that I can keep wearing my SA Matera outfit without someone calling me out as a cosplayer some day. 😁

• TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent

From memory when someone on this forum ID'd the jacket, they told Connolly, who didn't seem bothered at all, (which might explain their 'couldn't care less' attitude towards Bond fans, but as it transpired they had a shirt in the game as well, they picked up on the fact they could market the sh!7 out of their products with a Bond tie in and now they see themselves as an 'official partner' with window displays etc.. clearly they are only in it for the $$$, and the marketing hype they get for this Bond link, and when the NTTD dust has settled, they will forget about it and move on.. they have zero loyalty to the fan base.

The Matera jacket I really disliked from the stills, but upon seeing it on screen I actually now really like it. It suits the setting and also Bond's mindset almost, it could not be more in contrast with a structured, tailored suit for instance.

I still wouldn't buy it as I don't live in the mediterranean sadly!

I certainly understand your feelings, but I don't take these retail decisions personally, perhaps because I'm not a true collector. I only buy to wear. (And Connolly always dealt with me fairly, unlike others here, I realize.) Ultimately it's just a light jacket I particularly like. It suits me, and I've found it to be a useful layer. The replicas so far haven't caught the luxe quality of the fabric even while getting other details right. And women are constantly telling me how good I look in it! The only piece of clothing that comes close in terms of the response I've gotten from the opposite sex is the Tom Ford QoS cardigan.

• FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent

I had no interest in the Giubbino jacket from Connolly but I was lucky enough to be in on the Limited Edition shirt. I also was one of the few who finally got their shirt with the wrong label in! But… I have to say that the service I had from Connolly to rectify the issue was excellent.

As for the Duster…I LOVE that coat, so was pretty stoked with the amount of screen time! But I’m a 6 foot plus, bearded long hair, so it tends to work for me. I guess if you are shorter and have a more Bond like appearance, it’s a much more difficult piece to work with.

Wearing the RGT now. Not disappointed at all with the lack of screen time. I love the jacket - especially the way it continues to change as it ages.

Agree the Henley’s are the clear winners - and thanks to @philwongnz for spotting that incredible glitch in the R&B website that allowed us to purchase at a stoopidly low price! :-)

Yes. Considerably.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

I wear my clothing. At least in principal. Covid and an ankle injury has put much on hold.

So far I have gotten around a dozen wears from my Connolly. While I wish it was slightly longer, the light weight of the fabric has made it a go to item. It's a 2-3 season jacket in California during the day. Like many others I have had issues with Connolly, It took many emails to get the SA buttons. Also, I first became aware of the jacket pre-NTTD when it was featured in Simon Crompton's blog. I tried to contact Connolly back then about purchasing the jacket but they never got back to me.

The RGT is a classic and has appeared in many film and tv productions. Waxed canvas isn't for me, however.

Lack of screen time doesn't bother me. The clothes either work for me or they don't.

• RichardCard82RichardCard82 Posts: 292MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

I loved the Connolly jacket. I ordered in a medium and it felt like the fit was fine but not too lose. Here’s a photo. What do you guys think ? It looked more lose on Bond so I ordered the large from the 007 store. I had to email them 6 days later as it had not shipped yet. Wasn’t until I wrote them was when I finally got shipping confirmation this morning

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,712MI6 Agent

Looks great to me, I think that’s a lovely jacket.

• Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

Looks pretty great to me man

• DazNorthEastDazNorthEast Posts: 4MI6 Agent

I bought this jacket over the weekend, initially in a medium but afterwards it kept bugging me that I might be better off with a small.

I went back to the store on Monday and the small fit much better, perfect sleeve length and not as baggy (I can still fasten the buttons).

I'm 2 stone overweight at the moment so I know it will be perfect when I lose weight, I'm much happier with it.

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent

The RGT is a wonderful jacket regardless but its funny the amount of press it got for what ended up being a nearly blink and you'll miss it amount of screen time.

• RichardCard82RichardCard82 Posts: 292MI6 Agent

I agree, but I love the jacket as I'm a big fan of RGT clothing, I've been buying their clothes for almost 2 years, not cheap but they make quality jeans and shirts all out of Japanese denim. I own about 5 other supply jackets in different colors. They usually release and they sell out in minutes. I was fortunate to buy a shashiko denim jacket which sells out within seconds when they release. So much so that they had to set up a pre order for those that wanted it earlier this year and missed out. They make amazing clothes