Next Bond?

IronDukeIronDuke Posts: 2MI6 Agent

My thoughts, we have had a Scot play Bond, Englishmen, Irish and an Australian. Isn't about time a Welshman takes on the role? And now that Knightfall has been canceled the very excellent Tom Cullen should be first choice. Tom Cullen can do it all.

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent

We’ve already had a Welshman. Timothy Dalton.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

if they can hire an Ozzie, the obvious next choice is a Canadian, and since the last fellow seemed to not even like the character, I'd prefer an actor with a proven love for and expertise in vintage 1960s SpyMania...

• AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

A half-American, half-Englishman from Derbyshire 😁

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

He was born in Wales. Colwyn Bay. That’s good enough.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I hadn't realised that he left Wales when he was four years old. I have always thought I could detect a sight Welsh lilt in his voice, but if he was that young when he left, it's unlikely.

Still, every Welsh person I've ever chatted with about Dalton claims him as Welsh!

edited March 2022

Well CraigBond's fictional biography has him down as being born in Berlin, but I'm not convinced Bond is supposed to be German 😉

Perhaps he does regard himself as Welsh, I don't know; but with no family roots there and only having ever lived there for four years as a baby, he doesn't seem the Welshest person in the world to me. If anything he seems more American than anything: he's half American by birth and has been living there for decades.

@The Domino Effect I would guess that the accent you hear occasionally in LTK especially is his probably his Derbyshire accent peeking out rather than a Welsh one.

edited March 2022

I was curious to look into it a bit, and here's what he seems to think about it:

"‘I’m not really Welsh other than being born there, although it must be said there have been many great actors born in Wales and I don’t mind one bit to be named among them..... I am always proud to say that I am from Derbyshire."

Why James Bond actor Timothy Dalton is proud of his Belper roots

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

domino said:

Still, every Welsh person I've ever chatted with about Dalton claims him as Welsh!

every Canadian claims any famous person who's been in Canada longer than five minutes is Canadian

mtm said

CraigBond's fictional biography has him down as being born in Berlin, but I'm not convinced Bond is supposed to be German

according to Pearson's James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007

‘Something that Fleming never mentioned is where you were born.’ Bond swung round immediately.

‘Why ask me that?’

‘You said begin at the beginning.’

Bond smiled, somewhat ruefully, and paused before replying.

‘I suppose you have to know. The truth is that I'm a native of the Ruhr. I was born in a town called Wattenscheid – that's near Essen – on Armistice Day, 11 November 1920. I have not, I hasten to add, a drop of German blood in my veins – as far as one can ever be certain of such things. As Fleming says somewhere, my father was a Highland Scot, my mother Swiss.’

Andrew Bond was a sales rep for an arms firm and lived abroad, in Germany when Bond was born, in Paris, in Moscow at different times. I'm not sure Bond lived in Britain til his parents died.

so it seems like in this aspect the CraigBond films are following Pearson.

I think the closest Fleming ever got was in the Obit in You Only Live Twice

James Bond was born of a Scottish father, Andrew Bond of Glencoe, and a Swiss mother, Monique Delacroix, from the Canton de Vaud. His father being a foreign representative of the Vickers armaments firm, his early education, from which he inherited a first-class command of French and German, was entirely abroad.

Higson must say something in the Young Bond books, which take place shortly after the parents' death, but i cant remember...

edited March 2022

Thanks! Yes I did recall it not being a brand new thing that he was born in Germany when that came out. I have a feeling they may have also kept the 11/11 birthday too, but I'm not sure.

Edit: No I'm wrong there- in CR he was born 13th April 1968. In true Fleming style his birth year slipped a bit in later films 😁

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_007_dossier1.php3

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent

Well CraigBond's fictional biography has him down as being born in Berlin

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Maybe I could be next 😁

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,700MI6 Agent

It's incredible how formative the first years of your live can be. One of the boys in my middle school class (there were four of us) lived in Oslo the first five years of his life. Then his family family moved here:

Not being Norwegian you probably don't know this, but you don't talk with an Oslo dialect ("standard Norwegian") if you live somewhere where foreigners say "wow!" when seing the landscape. Except my classmate who still talks like he's still in Oslo!

• IronDukeIronDuke Posts: 2MI6 Agent

I stand corrected about Dalton being Welsh. I always thought he was from the Midlands. So is it about time another Welshman took on the role?

Look at Tom Cullen's Welsh pedigree and body of work.

My preferences are 1st choice Tom Cullen, 2nd choice Charlie Hunnam, 3rd choice Henry Cavill and fourth Tom Hardy. Although I think Tom Hardy could possibly be the best ever Bond Villain ever cast he has that mischievousness about him, and could be cast as the main villain for several Bond films.

I stand corrected about Dalton being Welsh. I always thought he was from the Midlands..

You're right though, he is from the Midlands! 😊

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

@The Domino Effect I would guess that the accent you hear occasionally in LTK especially is his probably his Derbyshire accent peeking out rather than a Welsh one.

Like in the scene with Sanchez where he says: "You were just in time. Things were about to turn nasteeh"😄

"Any of the opposition around..?"