Bond's Scottish Treasure

2»

Comments

• jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    If you want to row, do it in your own time via PMs.

Back to topic please.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited March 2007
    darenhat wrote:
    It wouldn't surprise me for Craig's Bond to utilize May...and I don't think it's a stretch. As an individual who spends a lot of time traveling, it makes sense to have someone tend to the house. One thing I don't want to see is Bond doing his laundry, squirting stain remover with dead-eye accuracy on the blood spots of his starched shirt. May's presence would be perfectly explicable, given
    the fact the Bond doesn't have time to deal with these things himself, and isn't going to trust just anybody to do it.

I agree. I don't think it would indicate some sort of 'lameness' on Bond's part at all. He's rarely home; it would make sense to have someone bring in the mail, etc.

Even spy thrillers have 'down' time; moments for characters to interact---particularly early on, as things are set up for the plot to follow. May would be an effective device to convey Bond's state of mind (particularly if that is to be an element in the story, as I suspect it might be). I think it would be a nice change from Q.

As for expanded casts...Lately (pre-CR), Bonds have always had Q, Moneypenny, M, either Bill Tanner and/or Robinson, other MI6 personnel such as doctors, psychological evaluators, etc., plus other secondary CIA/Leiter types...not to mention other allies in the field such as Zukovsky, et al...Hardly new in the franchise. I'm just talking about one housekeeper...for two minutes, tops...

What the hell. This place could be boring---in-between new films, with the absence of confirmed facts to discuss---without the occasional target being waved about, isn't it? People like something to shoot at :))

Plus, we 'Flemingists' die hard...especially when we've had a taste {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    If you want to row, do it in your own time via PMs.

Back to topic please.

If it's okay I'll try to respond to Superado's post without getting personal or resorting to insults about metal problems- I'm able to debate without that. If you feel I'm being antagonising feel free to give me a kick up the bum!

Right, first of all I didn't cast any doubt over Eon's ability to portray May on screen. It's a housekeeper who does some ironing- not sure how you can get that wrong! My doubts over it are entirely based around the fact I don't feel the concept works all that well. Fleming wasn't perfect in the first place and his novels do contain faults which the movie series shouldn't seek to replicate faithfully: the primary objective of the movie series is not to place Fleming's novels up on screen but to create entertaining movies. If they were aiming to exactly reproduce the novels the film of Goldfinger would have a much worse plot, for example! So they leave stuff out, change it, do whatever they have to in order to get the feel and spirit of the books, which is the whole idea of a screen adaptation- not to place the exact printed word on screen.
    Secondly, Fleming's books weren't written with Bond living in 21st Century Britain in mind. Although it's not unthinkable to have 1950's Bond with a cook and cleaner it's pretty hard to swallow nowadays. They could do it, but they could also have Bond driving around in his 1920's Bentley- and that would be just as odd!
    I agree. I don't think it would indicate some sort of 'lameness' on Bond's part at all. He's rarely home; it would make sense to have someone bring in the mail, etc.

I don't have any massive problem with your post- it all comes down to personal taste really, but this bit I don't understand. What's to do when you're out of the flat? The mail doesn't need 'bringing in' from anywhere, the fridge is empty, the dishes aren't getting any dirtier... what's to do? Water the plants? To be honest, Bond doesn't strike me as a houseplant kind of guy! :)
    edited March 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    I don't have any massive problem with your post-

Golly. Thanks! :D
    emtiem wrote:
    it all comes down to personal taste really, but this bit I don't understand. What's to do when you're out of the flat? The mail doesn't need 'bringing in' from anywhere, the fridge is empty, the dishes aren't getting any dirtier... what's to do? Water the plants? To be honest, Bond doesn't strike me as a houseplant kind of guy! :)

There are any number of reasons, I would think, for an operative like Bond to keep a visible presence in his flat during absences---even if she doesn't 'live' there. She could be given an intelligence background, as far as that goes... Why must Bond be a serial womanizer, drive an Aston Martin, fuss over the temperature of his sake and straighten his tie whilst underwater? Because he's James Bond, and these aren't just spy thrillers, IMRO.

But, of course, I had no idea that domestic help no longer exists in 21st Century London. Naturally, that complicates things a bit :)) A few people still have it here in the states, and they're not all millionaires.

But May's real purpose, lest we forget, would be to serve as a foil for Bond, give him an added dimension and thus advance a character point in the piece.

Never have I advocated that Eon 'place the exact printed word on screen,' but I think CR has pointed out a fundamental fallacy in assuming that Fleming elements = Non-Entertaining Movie. Obviously, the novel adaptations are finished. From here, if they choose, Eon will have to cherry-pick bits and pieces of unused elements, which is all I'm suggesting in this thread.

Your opinion on May's inclusion has been noted, however, and I appreciate your input. Cheers! {[]
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    "May was fiddling about with the breakfast things---her signal that she had something to say. Bond looked up from the center news page of The Times. 'Anything on your mind, May?'

"May's elderly, severe features were flushed. She said defensively, 'I have that.' She looked straight at Bond. She was holding the yoghurt carton in her hand. She crumpled it in her strong fingers and dropped it among the breakfast things on the tray. 'It's not my place to say it, Mister James, but ye're poisoning yersel'.'

"Bond said cheerfully, 'I know, May. You're quite right. But at least I've got them down to ten a day.'

"'I'm not talking about yer wee bitty smoke. I'm talking 'bout this'---May gestured at the tray---'this pap.' The word was spat out with disdain. Having got this off her chest, May gathered steam. 'It's no recht for a man to be eating bairns' food and slops and suchlike. Ye needn't worry that I'll talk, Mister James, but I'm knowing more about yer life than mebbe ye were wishing I did. There's been times when they've brought ye home from hospital and and there's talk you've been in a motoring accident or some such. But I'm not the old fule ye think I am, Mister James. Motoring accidents don't make one small hole in yer shoulder or yer leg or somewhere. Why, ye've got scars on ye the noo---ach, ye needn't grin like that, I've seen them---that could only be made by buellets. And these guns and knives and things ye carry around when ye're off abroad. Ach!' May put her hands on her hips. Her eyes were bright and defiant. 'Ye can tell me to mind my ain business and pack me off back to Glen Orchy, but before I go I'm telling ye, Mister James, that if ye get yerself into annuiter fight and ye've got nothing but yon muck in yer stomach, they'll be bringing ye home in a hearse. That's what they'll be doing.'"

having racked my brains to find out who would be the best actress to play may;well as some people might say "it's a no brainer" it's got to be mrs doubtfire.i haven't seen her in a film since;i might be mistaken,but i think it was mrs doubtfire.anyway she would be perfect,any objections?
    edited March 2007
    Well...I think Eon would be (rightly) afraid of putting Robin Williams' drag alter-ego into a Bond picture...

As for actual casting...I've no idea. Older, but not too old. Matronly, but not too off-putting. Funny, but not over the top.

It's a tall order.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    As for actual casting...I've no idea. Older, but not too old. Matronly, but not too off-putting. Funny, but not over the top.

It's a tall order.

I'm with Moonraker5 on this one- Annette Crosbie. For those who don't know her from her TV work in the UK, she's in Calendar Girls.

Oh, and emtiem- 1930s Bentley :).
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    Surely the casting is obvious for this one, and we even have her recent screen test with Craig to prove the point: Katherine Tate.

Can't you just see it? Katherine scolding Bond for being out all hours on his 'so-called' exciting job, where he 'supposedly' meets hundreds of young, attractive, available women. And of course she'd comment on his mid-life crisis with that ridiculous Aston Martin parked outside. She'd go on to give him advice about how much more sensible a nice job in a bank would be, how he could get together with her neighbour's sister's daughter (nice girl), then he could settle down and get one of those people movers...

What more do we need to replace the Q scenes?
    Surely the casting is obvious for this one, and we even have her recent screen test with Craig to prove the point: Katherine Tate.

Can't you just see it? Katherine scolding Bond for being out all hours on his 'so-called' exciting job, where he 'supposedly' meets hundreds of young, attractive, available women. And of course she'd comment on his mid-life crisis with that ridiculous Aston Martin parked outside. She'd go on to give him advice about how much more sensible a nice job in a bank would be, how he could get together with her neighbour's sister's daughter (nice girl), then he could settle down and get one of those people movers...

I've only just seen her---for the first time---in that Comic Relief sketch she did with Craigger...my God, Bill, you might be onto something...

She seems almost as reviled (based on some of the comments in the "Poor Daniel Craig" thread) as he himself was, in some quarters, last year...it'd be the most talked-about 90 seconds in the film :))
    Barbel wrote:
    Oh, and emtiem- 1930s Bentley :).

Yup- right you are; I had it down as a 1929 model, but it's a 1930 one- the last year they made it. So; only just a 30's car and designed in the 20's- so we're sort of both right! ;)
    emtiem wrote:
    I don't have any massive problem with your post-

Golly. Thanks! :D

Sorry- didn't mean that sound as businesslike/patronising as it appears to have come out! :)
    emtiem wrote:
    it all comes down to personal taste really, but this bit I don't understand. What's to do when you're out of the flat? The mail doesn't need 'bringing in' from anywhere, the fridge is empty, the dishes aren't getting any dirtier... what's to do? Water the plants? To be honest, Bond doesn't strike me as a houseplant kind of guy! :)

There are any number of reasons, I would think, for an operative like Bond to keep a visible presence in his flat during absences---even if she doesn't 'live' there.

Hmm.. no; that's making less sense to me, to be honest. If any spies are staking out his flat I doubt they'd be so bad at their jobs to mistake an eldery Scots lady for James Bond! Reminsd me of those episodes of Batman where Alfred used to be decoy for Bats driving the Batmobile whilst he was elsewhere- Batsuit and all! :)
    But, of course, I had no idea that domestic help no longer exists in 21st Century London. Naturally, that complicates things a bit :))

Now, now- no need to get sarky! :) I'm sure it exists in a way- I know people who get cleaners in
    and I suppose its possible that Bond could do that, but he just doesn't seem that type of guy to me. Being a busy chap it's possible I suppose, but I just wouldn't have thought he'd make all that much mess.

But May's real purpose, lest we forget, would be to serve as a foil for Bond, give him an added dimension and thus advance a character point in the piece.

Very true. I'm just not sure what would be added to Bond by her turning up in a film.

I've only just seen her---for the first time---in that Comic Relief sketch she did with Craigger...my God, Bill, you might be onto something...

She seems almost as reviled (based on some of the comments in the "Poor Daniel Craig" thread) as he himself was, in some quarters, last year...it'd be the most talked-about 90 seconds in the film :))

Oh damn: ...actually... not... entirely... hating that idea! Gnng!
    If they absolutely had to have a comedy character and not play the comedy through the main characters, that wouldn't be a terrible way to do it: certainly preferable to using Q again: that gag's rather been done. As long as she's not made up to look old! :)
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Look, we can't ignore the fact that Bond's Scottish treasure is in fact Sean Connery. If he were looking to return, why not cast him as May? Have him in a dress and give him a feather duster and everything.

Michael Caine did a great job in Batman, why couldn't Connery follow suit. We should get a petition up and running.
    edited March 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    Hmm.. no; that's making less sense to me, to be honest. If any spies are staking out his flat I doubt they'd be so bad at their jobs to mistake an eldery Scots lady for James Bond! Reminsd me of those episodes of Batman where Alfred used to be decoy for Bats driving the Batmobile whilst he was elsewhere- Batsuit and all! :)

Nothing I will say here is going to make any sense, I'm sure---your feelings on this issue are beyond well-established, now---but obviously, I wasn't saying that an elderly Scottish lady would be a decoy for Bond.

I said 'visible presence'...as in, there's someone home, making any B & E/penetration of the flat considerably more difficult to execute successfully without leaving a clue behind---such as a dead or unconscious housekeeper, for instance...

What she could add to Bond is limited only by the imagination of the screenwriter(s).

Never mind; I know. You don't like the idea :))
  • De BleuchampDe Bleuchamp Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    I think May was OK in the books, but might be too old fashioned nowadays.
    I think May as housekeeper to Bond, might've been compared to Mrs. Hudson as housekeeper to Sherlock Holmes.
    To be unrealistic, why not get Judi Dench to play May, and bring back a Male "M" actor!

De Bleuchamp.
    I think May as housekeeper to Bond, might've been compared to Mrs. Hudson as housekeeper to Sherlock Holmes.

It doesn't have to be old-fashioned; it would naturally depend upon the presentation.

You couldn't do May exactly as she was written in the novels (which would indeed be perilously close to aping Holmes); I merely included the Fleming excerpt at the beginning of the thread to place the character in context for the legion of Bond fans who have never read the books---and thus likely never knew of the character's existence.
  • Mike ZMike Z San Francisco, CAPosts: 43MI6 Agent

It doesn't have to be old-fashioned; it would naturally depend upon the presentation.

You couldn't do May exactly as she was written in the novels (which would indeed be perilously close to aping Holmes); I merely included the Fleming excerpt at the beginning of the thread to place the character in context for the legion of Bond fans who have never read the books---and thus likely never knew of the character's existence.

Forgive me for being the new guy who resurrects an old thread.

I do think the character of May would work, but for a few modern adjustments. Perhaps she is a trusted neighbor. Make her the widow of a retired MI-6 officer, that gives a bit of background and a reason to want to look after Bond as well as a reason for him to trust her implicitly.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    May will never work as long as "M" is played by a woman. Between those two clucking hens and a couple a nubile "Bond girls" with all that estrogen in a film the Bond charecter would come off like a well dressed Norman Bates!

Recast Dench as May, hire Gambon for "M" and maybe it could work.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    It wouldn't surprise me for Craig's Bond to utilize May...and I don't think it's a stretch. As an individual who spends a lot of time traveling, it makes sense to have someone tend to the house. One thing I don't want to see is Bond doing his laundry, squirting stain remover with dead-eye accuracy on the blood spots of his starched shirt. May's presence would be perfectly explicable, given the fact the Bond doesn't have time to deal with these things himself, and isn't going to trust just anybody to do it.
    Doesnt Bond just buy new clothes when an item gets ruined ie blood stains.
    edited October 2009
    I will always maintain that, if done properly (i.e., not a cartoonishly direct transplantation from the books, but rather a modernized reinterpretation), May can add both character insight and a bit of humour to the Craig Era...personally, if I were Bond I'd gladly have someone to deal with the details and fix my egg just as I like it :007) Is it unrealistic? Anachronistic? Maybe, I don't know---who cares? It's a James Bond film... -{

I must admit, the rekindled curiosity and/or hostility for this old chestnut is amusing---however, as I've read somewhere that Barbara Broccoli herself has dismissed the notion, it's all a moot point, sadly.

But I still want to see Bond's morning regimen on film; it would be worth a couple of minutes.