Bond's Money Clip

Comments

• Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    You forgot the Aston Martins. That's the cost of saving the world several times over, I'm afraid.

Seems a fair exchange to me.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Received my clip yesterday...looks great although smaller than I first expected. So question for all you style gurus (Bill?)....how does one use a money clip...cash on the bottom and credit cards on top...how should the money be folded..spine out? Any info would be helpful!
  • Stephanie BroadchestStephanie Broadchest Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    I say follow Bonds lead...money folded in half, spine towards the clip, credit cards on top (though my guy carries his few cards: drivers license, a few credit cards and debit card in a slim wallet, cash only in the clip)

~Rachel~
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    I think that worked for Bond because European Money is BIGGER than US Dollars so it loks kind of funny doing it that way with US currency.

I have my cash folded in half with my credit, debit, licence and insurance cards inside teh folded cash.

I was surprised at how small the money clip was when I receive dti but I still love it.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Prehaps someone can post a real world picture of the clip so those interested can better appreciate the actual size.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Yeah, I got my money clip on Tuesday. I put the cash with the spine facing in and credit cards on the bottom. Having travelled the world in my former profession as a Merchant Marine Officer, I learned to put the smaller bills on the outside of the fold with the larger bills inside. That way if people are watching you it appears you have a wad of ones or small bills. Also I put my credit cards on the bottom, but 90 degrees different than what Bond apparently uses (from the Omega pictures). By folding a couple of the outside bills off center, it covers the credit card at least from one side. You can also put the cards in the center of your wad with off center bills covering both sides, but I find this method less utilitarian. In any event, I don't see the need to show the world how much money I have on me and I don't think Bond would either.

There are rather unscrupulous types about who would have no conpunction against separating you from your money.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    The Mantis wrote:
    So ....how does one use a money clip...cash on the bottom and credit cards on top...how should the money be folded..spine out? Any info would be helpful!

I always thought the money clip was an American idea, so presumed you'd all be familiar with it. I first heard of someone using one in the UK about five years ago, but I've still never seen one being used. I still use a wallet from Swaine Adeney, Lit-Bond's leathergoods supplier.

Perhaps I don't move in sufficiently affluent circles.
    The Mantis wrote:
    So ....how does one use a money clip...cash on the bottom and credit cards on top...how should the money be folded..spine out? Any info would be helpful!

I always thought the money clip was an American idea, so presumed you'd all be familiar with it. I first heard of someone using one in the UK about five years ago, but I've still never seen one being used. I still use a wallet from Swaine Adeney, Lit-Bond's leathergoods supplier.

Perhaps I don't move in sufficiently affluent circles.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Sorry to digress, but wasn't there a literary Bond character who had a money clip fashioned from a large coin? I'm thinking Largo, but am unsure without checking the book.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    You're right - but I can't remember who it was either without checking. Pistols Scaramanga or Jack Spang?
    edited May 2007
    The Bond charecter with the money clip was Red Grant, his was made "of" a $50 Mexican Gold coin. Fleming really meant a 50 Peso coin, which is about the size of the old US Silver dollar.
    7289 wrote:
    The Bond charecter with the money clip was Red Grant, his was made "of" a $50 Mexican Gold coin attached. Fleming really meant a 50 Peso coin, which is about the size of the old US Silver dollar.

Thanks 7289! I thought that was a really neat money clip as it was described.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Yes, thanks for that - saves me ploughing through. I was going to start with all the American villains first, so it would have taken quite a while to come up with Red Grant.

Can't see how this would work though; is the coin itself supposed to be bent over to form the clip? In which case it surely wouldn't have much spring to it (too thick), would it?
    I think this is one of the many cases where one must "interpet" what Fleming wrote down.

I have seen many "coin" money clips, most are like the David Pell version with a coin soldered onto the "face" side.

I would speculate that is what Grant had.
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    Prehaps someone can post a real world picture of the clip so those interested can better appreciate the actual size.

I dont have a camera at my desk but I do have a ruler. The dimensions of mine are 0.75" x 2" (1.9cm x 5cm).
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
    7289 wrote:
    I think this is one of the many cases where one must "interpet" what Fleming wrote down.

I have seen many "coin" money clips, most are like the David Pell version with a coin soldered onto the "face" side.

I would speculate that is what Grant had.

Yes, this is how I envisioned it too. Here's a specimen on an expired eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Gold-Peso-Money-Clip_W0QQitemZ330093107137QQcmdZViewItem
    Thanks for the measurements on the Pell clip, that actually a pretty good size for a money clip. I have two older silver clips that are about the same dimensions.

The expired eBay auction 50 Peso would be perfect for Red Grant.

Question: In Moonraker, Bond is trying to figure out what to do with the money he has won from Drax. Amoung the items he considers buying are "three diamond clips". I have never been able to figure out what these were. Could they be money clips?

Anyone care to speculate .....
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    I've always suspected they were money clips.

However, I was put off by the idea that Fleming wrote Moonraker in the 50s when money clips were perhaps more associated with flash American mobsters (the Spang Brothers?) than the kind of Englishman that Bond is.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    The three diamond clips were for the married women that Bond was juggling at the time.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    The three diamond clips were for the married women that Bond was juggling at the time.
    Bond must indeed be a generous and reckless fellow if he is giving away diamond (hair) clips to the wives of other men, especially considering that he makes love to them with "rather cold passion".

I agree about diamond money clips being "flash", and can't see Bond buying hair clips - even as an investment. Even at that three money clips seems an odd investment.

Prehaps "clips" is a jeweler term for something else.
  • silvershopgiftssilvershopgifts Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Hi just for an update on the Money Clip everyone.

We have had to disable the previous promotional code for technical reasons. However we are still offering the fantastic deal to everyone here on this forum at 50% off retail price.

To obtain this special promotional code please email me directly at support@silvershopgifts.com and i'll send you the up to date promotional code. Also here are the international delivery prices:

UK small package: £3.75
    UK guaranteed next day delivery: £8
    European small package: £8
    Worldwide small package: £10

Please select the appropriate option that applies to you

Regards

SilverShopGifts
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Hope these pics are helpful with people who have question on size...

Family%20006.jpg

Family%20008.jpg

Family%20010.jpg
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Cheers Mantis. Making me more and more inclined to buy one. I don't normally carry much cash around with me though. So not sure if it's the right thing for me.
  • johnroksursoxjohnroksursox Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    does anyone know what the symbols on the money clips stand for?
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    First one is the makers mark Douglas Pell. The others are something to do with the type or silve and when and where it was made I believe.
    edited May 2007
    DP = Makers mark
    925 = fineness of silver (925 parts per thousand)Sterling Silver
    Panther Head = London Assay
    h = letter code denoting year of manufacture
  • qbviqbvi AustraliaPosts: 254MI6 Agent
    DP = Douglas Pell, ie makers mark
    925 = silver content 925 parts silver in 1000
    Head = Assay Office, its a leopard head signifying London Office grading the silver item
    "alphabet letters" = year silver item was made. current clips are "h" = 2007, Bonds clip was "f" = 2005

Interesting Bond is using a clip because in Goldeneye its a leather wallet, DAF wallet (although you could argue its not his but Bond's Playboy card was inserted in the bad guys wallet), etc In FRWL Bond pulls Turkish lira out of his coat pocket to bribe guard, no wallet, no clip.
    A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
    7289 wrote:
    Question: In Moonraker, Bond is trying to figure out what to do with the money he has won from Drax. Amoung the items he considers buying are "three diamond clips". I have never been able to figure out what these were. Could they be money clips?

Anyone care to speculate .....

Speculate? Never!
    Actually this has cropped up a couple of times before and is mentioned here: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/articles/007/jamesbondclothing4/
    (scroll down to the Cufflinks & Jewellery section).

In short, as others have suggested, these were indeed articles of women's jewellery (hair clips or brooches?); Fleming confirms it in FYEO when Bond buys one for another girl.