Was Bond going to kill Olga in the ending??

HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
Question to my wise fellow fans,

Was Bond going to shoot and kill Olga there in the end of the film when they were both trapped in the burning hotel?

Remember, that line, "one shot, make it count'..?

I got the impression that she did not want to die burned alive so Bond was going to shoot her to save her from suffering, but then, was he going to shoot himself too??

of course, the gas tank reveals itself at the last second...

Comments

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I thought he was about to. I hate to think he was going to do himself too. After all the references to never doing that, and ditching the cyanide pills years ago in the books and films, I hate to think Bond was going to take the quick way out. It's all a bit rubbish anyway. If faced with certain burning death nobody would use the one bullet they had on someone with whom there was no deep relationship, and then burn to death themselves...
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    I'm sure they could find a way to resolve the problem of just one bullet, if they put their heads together. :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Yep... no doubt.

He then saw the gas canister... and realised his/their escape plan.

I thought that whole scene was an inversion of the shower scene in CR.... quite excelllent.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Yep... no doubt.

He then saw the gas canister... and realised his/their escape plan.

I thought that whole scene was an inversion of the shower scene in CR.... quite excelllent.

Hadn't thought about it in relation to the shower scene. Good thought.

I personally like the scene (Greene was my problem in those late scenes, not as a character, but on the skeevy look of the actor). I thought it just seemed like he was going to stick with some honor and not let her burn like her family.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I always though that scene was a mirror of Bond and Rosie in LALD, with Bond holding a gun to her head, Still we all " Make our Choice" :)) still I'd love to know who pased the Fire regulations on that Hotel in the first Place. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    I thought he was about to. I hate to think he was going to do himself too. After all the references to never doing that, and ditching the cyanide pills years ago in the books and films, I hate to think Bond was going to take the quick way out. It's all a bit rubbish anyway. If faced with certain burning death nobody would use the one bullet they had on someone with whom there was no deep relationship, and then burn to death themselves...

It's not really out of character with the Bond of the novels. In LALD, he and Solitaire were being keelhauled, and he resolved to drown her and then himself to avoid being eaten alive by sharks, and in Goldfinger he actually tried to kill himself through sheer force of will by holding his breath (rather than being cut in two by a saw). It didn't work, of course.
    I think the early Producers did the right thing in dropping many of the ideas Fleming gave to Bond in the novels, cutting back on the snobbery, racism and homophobia. Making him a more likeable character than the slightly morose Bond of the novels. Also making hin slightly larger than life and of course a Hero.
    Sadly if you keep giving him feet of clay he becomes just another generic action hero, tough on the outside but who keeps getting scenes to show how sensitive he really is. There is bound to be a scene in "Skyfall" where he has a little sad moment again.
    I never read any of the Bonds as true Espionage thrillers, ( ther are many novels that are, tinker, tailor etc ) but as exciting entertainment. I never really cared about Bonds past just how he was goning to get out of a sticky suitation.
    Emotions are for Chicks, I want a good story moving at a cracking pace and a few nasty villians to be defeated. I'm glad the early Producers dropped any idea of Bond giving up and thinking of " Killing himself" ( IMHO Goldfinger the movie got Bond out of being cut in two far better than Fleming's, Bond begging for his Life and offering to work for Goldfinger. ) it would seem now many members would of rather watched a crying Bond begging to live.
    Sadly Times have changed we're now in 2011 so men have to be all emotional and in touch with their femine side. Sadly or rather Proudly I'm from a different Generation, I never show much emotion and even in times of a death in the family, a strong handshake is all that is needed for two men to express either sadness or sorrow or indeed happines at the birth of a child for instance.
    So I hate the scene in the Hotel with Camille, it shows a very Human,( in fact too human ) Bond, Giving up !
    If the scene had been written with bond saying something about how the room would have to have an acess panel for the power cell, with Bond taking aim etc. That would of been fine as it would of meant Bond escaped using his skill as an agent. rather than the "Luckiest " moment in movie history EVER !
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    I think the early Producers did the right thing in dropping many of the ideas Fleming gave to Bond in the novels, cutting back on the snobbery, racism and homophobia. Making him a more likeable character than the slightly morose Bond of the novels. Also making hin slightly larger than life and of course a Hero.
    Sadly if you keep giving him feet of clay he becomes just another generic action hero, tough on the outside but who keeps getting scenes to show how sensitive he really is. There is bound to be a scene in "Skyfall" where he has a little sad moment again.
    I never read any of the Bonds as true Espionage thrillers, ( ther are many novels that are, tinker, tailor etc ) but as exciting entertainment. I never really cared about Bonds past just how he was goning to get out of a sticky suitation.
    Emotions are for Chicks, I want a good story moving at a cracking pace and a few nasty villians to be defeated. I'm glad the early Producers dropped any idea of Bond giving up and thinking of " Killing himself" ( IMHO Goldfinger the movie got Bond out of being cut in two far better than Fleming's, Bond begging for his Life and offering to work for Goldfinger. ) it would seem now many members would of rather watched a crying Bond begging to live.
    Sadly Times have changed we're now in 2011 so men have to be all emotional and in touch with their femine side. Sadly or rather Proudly I'm from a different Generation, I never show much emotion and even in times of a death in the family, a strong handshake is all that is needed for two men to express either sadness or sorrow or indeed happines at the birth of a child for instance.
    So I hate the scene in the Hotel with Camille, it shows a very Human,( in fact too human ) Bond, Giving up !
    If the scene had been written with bond saying something about how the room would have to have an acess panel for the power cell, with Bond taking aim etc. That would of been fine as it would of meant Bond escaped using his skill as an agent. rather than the "Luckiest " moment in movie history EVER !

well i'll be damnd...

i didnt actually think that is what was actually happening in the burning hotel...Bond about to kill her and himself and all...

i agree w/ you thunderpussy...it is acceptable for men to display emotion in certain ways, others not. im not quite 33 yet but ive somewhat learned this 'art' just recently. (not that i would breakdown and cry a rainstorm before mind you)

a firm handshake and a hand on the shoulder expresses enough sympathy and can even provide stability at that difficult moment.
    i just recently had a co-worker lose her mother, all i did was give her a hug and told her i was glad to see her. its all it took, she was very thankful.

but was that REALLY the luckiest moment ever for Bond?
    that chance game of bacarat at the beginning of Dr No surely is a contender!
    anyone got a picture of her??
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    Loads of 'em here

But we can't post pics from the Bond films, we're not allowed.

Bond should have shot the gal then discovered the means of escaping. He could have copped off with someone, and better looking to, in the final scene. Another mishap of the writers' strike, no doubt. :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Loads of 'em here

But we can't post pics from the Bond films, we're not allowed.

Bond should have shot the gal then discovered the means of escaping. He could have copped off with someone, and better looking to, in the final scene. Another mishap of the writers' strike, no doubt. :D

wow...zena marshall, that was her, there are women and then there are women,
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    Sadly if you keep giving him feet of clay he becomes just another generic action hero...

Well, to be fair to Fleming/Bond, the only times he resolved to kill himself was when death was more or less inevitable, and he was trying to force a less painful/horrific alternative. In LALD, he was only going to do it if he and Solitaire were still alive when the shark fins appeared on the horizon, but fortunately the limpet mine went off before it became necessary. In Goldfinger he managed to hold his breath until he passed out, but luckily Goldfinger had a change of heart. I think the scene in QoS is more or less in the same spirit as LALD - he was going to commit double suicide (or at least just Camille) only as an alternative to burning alive, especially as it was Camille's worst nightmare (due to her family dying that way). It would have been an act of mercy. Like LALD, he fortunately was spared the act. I don't think it's a cowardly act - rather the opposite, in fact.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Ha Ha! "Emotions are for chicks." Ha Ha Ha! That was pretty funny TP! Okay, you can stop pulling our legs now. Surely you jest, right? I mean, no we don't want a weepy, angst-ridden, emotional Bond moping around for the whole film. But showing a little feeling every once in a while to remind us that Bond is human and not merely a cliched, action-movie cyborg, that's not a bad thing, right? Makes for a more interesting character, don't you agree? Surely you are not so shallow as to equate manliness with emotionless, right? Say it isn't so, my friend.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    No NO account should any man ever show any emotions, They should be Bottled up tight inside him.
    All this Moping about like an "Emo" teenager they've got Bond doing, I can't understand.
    Men should only Cry or express strong feelings at a few specific times.

* on the loss of a Beloved Dog.
    * on hearing your favourite Team is out of the Premier league
    * listing to the speeches of Sir Winston Churchill

I'll also accept some wetness of the eyes with,

* on hearing a fantastic cricket score
    * Watching " The Champ" ( I'm not made of stone, you know )
    Or
    * on learning Simon Cowell has been horribly injured in a freak Boating Accident ( with Laughter,Obviously)

If we men don't keep all this bottled up, what will the doctors of the future have to work on. No ulcers or stress related
    heart attacks, any Man who wantonly Shows emotions is hurting the success of future medicine, I can say No more. :v
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Well, Bond would be a pretty cold bastard if he didn't shed tears with the ones he loves. :D
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Glad you cleared that up, TP. You have restored my faith in your humanity! Please forgive me for ever doubting you (and for not thinking about the DOCTORS!)
    No NO account should any man ever show any emotions, They should be Bottled up tight inside him.
    All this Moping about like an "Emo" teenager they've got Bond doing, I can't understand.

Or
    * on learning Simon Cowell has been horribly injured in a freak Boating Accident ( with Laughter,Obviously)

If we men don't keep all this bottled up, what will the doctors of the future have to work on. No ulcers or stress related
    heart attacks, any Man who wantonly Shows emotions is hurting the success of future medicine, I can say No more. :v
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    just think of those Poor doctors, hardly getting by on a Pitance, suffering on all those golf courses. :D
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent

Or

While we're at it - can men stop fu*king hugging each other?! I saw an old mate the other day that I hadn't seen for a year or so and he came at me with his arms out, warm embrace looming... I said, "What the f**k are you doing?" He took a step back and looked all bewildered. Soft tw*t... :#
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com

Or

While we're at it - can men stop fu*king hugging each other?! I saw an old mate the other day that I hadn't seen for a year or so and he came at me with his arms out, warm embrace looming... I said, "What the f**k are you doing?" He took a step back and looked all bewildered. Soft tw*t... :#

LMAO!!
  • Blood_StoneBlood_Stone Posts: 183MI6 Agent
    edited November 2011
    I think he was going to and rightfully so.

Good points. I always got the feeling EON never wanted Bond to look weak (aside from the Moore Era). Case in point, in the Casino Royale novel, the testicular torture scene is so much better.

In the book, Le Chiffre is more in control of the situation. He takes his time by drinking coffee, smoking a cigarette, and giving a long hopeless speech while giving 007 a beating. After Bond passes out from the pain, Le Chiffre get fed up by twisting Bond's ears, slapping his face several times then pouring the remaining coffee on his face until he comes to. Bond is actually traumatized by the brutal experience as he recalls it in the later books.

In the movie, Bond is tortured for a minute or two then shrugs it off by cracking jokes. Ugh...