Another unknown James Bond Rolex. Submariner Date Ref. 1680 in TMWTGG!

HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
Hope that this will make Jamesbondwobbles a bit upset because he was not first :D

In TMWTGG, the Thaiboxing scene when Bond searches Andrea's handbag, you can see a Date Bubble on Bonds Submariner (and probably 4 written lines under the handstack).

We see Bonds Submariner (No Date) in various scenes before and after - for this particular closeup there is a different Rolex on Bond's wrist (probably Moore's personal ??) - a Submariner-Date.

Submariner Dates of that time where the 1680, so we can add this to the list of Bond Submariners.

Kudos to G Carr on TRF who posted it first.

Am I allowed to post a screenshot of this particular scene?
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• alphaagentalphaagent Posts: 433MI6 Agent
    Sounds intruiging,mpost the screenshot!!,
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    sptce4cz.jpg
    79eonz7i.jpg

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Great spot, though DD told me about this a few years back :D
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    :v really? I thought that he was too busy promoting his own activities instead of replying to your emails? :v

edited August 2015
    Haha only kidding - maybe somebody should pass this info on to him and see if you get credited for it on his site :)
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    Well spotted!!!!' B-)
    edited August 2015
    Interesting what can be seen with HD format - looking forward to more discoveries in 4K home format eventually!!
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Haha - maybe somebody should pass this info on to him and see if you get credited for it on his site :)

:))

You know - you can verify the honesty of people by checking what they don't say ( and not so much by what the do say)

Until today, he does not mention the M354-5010 just because I say that it was the same watch in Moonraker.

I guess that the same will happen with the 1680 in TMWTGG :v

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Well done Higgy ,nice piece of detective work.
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited August 2015
    Excellent find. Proves the point that even the dumbest blindest squirrel can sometimes find a nut.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    edited August 2015
    :)) :)) :))

And we all know now why they call you a bag of nuts ;)

welshboy78 wrote:
    Interesting what can be seen with HD format - looking forward to more discoveries in 4K home format eventually!!

Yep, time for you to retire that tube tv and that Betamax machine, welshie :D

• Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    DD thanks you for your efforts, but wants to make it clear that he spotted this a few weeks ago, but his loyal flunky hasn't yet updated his website. Said flunky will be disposed of at the earliest opportunity. DD is and always has been the king of all things relating to Bond Watches. Higgins is a mere interloper trying to steal the crown. :v
    Never!!!

Photo%2015-08-2015%2010%2049%2009.jpg
    Higgins is a mere interloper trying to steal the crown. :v

Coronet :v
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,270MI6 Agent
    Bond was wearing a watch in this sequence? :s I remember Maud Adams & something about nuts then nuts took me straight back to Maud Adams :D
    I think that's called necrophilia :))
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Great find! It definitely looks like a 1680 in the first picture due to the appearance of the "high hat" crystal. The 1680 had a very flat crystal top and a squared off appearing side profile. Less domed than its predecessor. Too bad it's not the highly sought after red "Submariner" 1680. That would have been awesome!

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    edited August 2015
    A slightly obese :D bird contacted me claming that in most to all scenes ( with the exception of the Bottoms Up closeup) we may see a Submariner Date.

Will check the movie under that theory and am asking everybody else to do as well.

If that's true, it will be a major discovery in terms of Bond's watches - please let me know about your discoveries, thanks!

Seems to be a Submariner Date as well:

image.jpg

Higgy answer your emails!
    Will reply on monday, but you won't receive a pic :D

Dissapointing, verrrryy dissapointing.
    The only problem is that the 1680 Submariner is not the "hero" watch because it's not shown in close-up. I guess it can be referred to as the "stunt" watch or "stand in". Nevertheless, at least it can be positively identified as a Submariner unlike some other so called Bond watch discoveries that can't be positively identified and that change over time.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    The only problem is that the 1680 Submariner is not the "hero" watch because it's not shown in close-up. I guess it can be referred to as the "stunt" watch or "stand in". Nevertheless, at least it can be positively identified as a Submariner unlike some other so called Bond watch discoveries that can't be positively identified and that change over time.

DG

Absolutely. This is a revelation.
    Asp9mm wrote:

DG

Absolutely. This is a revelation.

Yes, indeed it is!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent

DG

The trouble is, in every shot that you see RM with a Sub on it is the 1680, the only time you see the 5513 is in that close up shot of him looking at the time just before Gibson is shot, Id go as far to say that that is an insert shot and maybe not even RM hand.

Strange :))
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    So cool that there are still things to discover in these films. Nice find, Higgins!
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

DG

The trouble is, in every shot that you see RM with a Sub on it is the 1680, the only time you see the 5513 is in that close up shot of him looking at the time just before Gibson is shot, Id go as far to say that that is an insert shot and maybe not even RM hand.

You're right, and that begs the question:

What did the filmmakers intend? Did the filmmakers intend a 5513 or a 1680? Of course it could simply be that RM wore his own 1680 and when they did the insert shot, RMs watch was not on hand so they used what they had, the hold over 5513 from LALD.

Very, very interesting! Again, great find!
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

DG

You're right, and that begs the question:

What did the filmmakers intend? Did the filmmakers intend a 5513 or a 1680? Of course it could simply be that RM wore his own 1680 and when they did the insert shot, RMs watch was not on hand so they used what they had, the hold over 5513 from LALD.

Very, very interesting! Again, great find!
    As they are showing us a close up of the 5513, Id say that is the one that they want us to think he is wearing.

I had a chat with majik007collector today and he told me that RM isn't wearing the 5513 all of the time in LALD either, and it isn't a Rolex.

Live-and-Let-Die-326_zpsuavz1rx7.jpg
    Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%2012.59.14_zpskzd15e8m.png
    Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%2013.00.35-1_zpsnc3rjflq.png
    Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%2013.01.29_zpspvuvpj1l.png