Bond for Christmas

I'm at the mall shopping with my mom and a thought crossed my mind. What would Bond wear to a family Christmas gathering/party? Not thinking much about a suit or formal dress but like a family gathering wardrobe. I believe the only instance of Christmas in the movies was in TWINE and he was clearly in more formal wear at a nice venue. Just curious to see if we can maybe share some ideas and invent our own Christmas Bond looks. -{ :)
"I don't think the dead care about vengeance."

Comments

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Which Bond?
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Interesting thought. My family wants to do "ugly sweaters" this Christmas, and the first thing that came to my mind was, "how do I make this Bond-like". :)) I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts, because I'm still stumped on the idea of Christmas casual Bond clothes... Too bad I don't know any Christmas jokes... Wait, yes I do, what's the male version of this outfit:

IMG_9045.jpg

;)
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
    edited November 2016
    Interesting thought. My family wants to do "ugly sweaters" this Christmas, and the first thing that came to my mind was, "how do I make this Bond-like". :)) I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts, because I'm still stumped on the idea of Christmas casual Bond clothes... Too bad I don't know any Christmas jokes... Wait, yes I do, what's the male version of this outfit:

IMG_9045.jpg

;)

Ugly sweater: Here you go:

bf765870bd309fca4e07f4a7610581b0.jpg

Male version of Dr. Jones' outfit:

zardoz-sean-connery.jpg
  • hcantrellhcantrell CharlottePosts: 170MI6 Agent
    I don't know which specific Bond it needs to be. I'd assume Craig would wear a Christmas color N Peal but I just wanted to see everyone's ideas of a casual but good looking Bond Christmas outfit. We know the style of Bond and now is the chance to craft our own Bond look for family Christmas using our obsessive Bond clothing knowledge :D
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:

IMG_9045.jpg

;)

Male version of Dr. Jones' outfit:

zardoz-sean-connery.jpg

I vote for the male version of Dr. Jones' outfit.
    Maybe Indy Magnoli can help.
    My guess?

Sean Connery: Either something similar to what he wore golfing in GF. Or he'd skip Christmas and head to the Caribbean (more likely). In that case, something like his look in Thunderball.

George Lazenby: orange mock neck sweater, rust trousers with a bit of flare, short pull on boots and a brown plaid wool jacket.

Moore: blue blazer, grey flannels, pale blue shirt, no tie and loafers. Because Sir Roger doesn't care how cold it is.

Dalton: Bratislava outfit. Or all black. Or all navy blue. With pleats

Brosnan: the DAD ice hotel look is an easy guess. But lets be honest: he'd wear a suit. He always wears a suit.

Craig: Like you suggested: N.Peal roll neck, dark jeans or brown cords, chukkas, and Barbour jacket. Then the whole family would tell him how he "just doesn't look right for the occasion".
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Of course twine does have Christmas but don't forget ohmss h Cantrell, that film has Christmas and the whole shebang!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    :)) Oh Snap! That was a low blow on Lasenby canoe. However, I must agree, I really hate that outfit. I like all of your ideas. Very interesting gauge on each character. I'm glad this was brought up because I think I've found my Christmas outfit for the rest of my life:

IMG_9046.jpg

I know it was on Christmas Eve and it was a disguise, but it's a damn fine outfit that is Bond Christmas appropriate if updated a little.

An outfit that was actually worn on Christmas was:

IMG_9047.jpg

Plaid can be rocked if done right. Maybe a plaid sweater for the "ugly sweater" gatherings.
    Seriously could have done without the imagery canoe. :)) here I was trying to make the thread look better. I really just used the joke as an excuse to look up pics of Dr. Jones at work :x :x :x
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    ^ Those outfits Lazenby is wearing aren't Bond's. I like the tattersall shirt, cardigan and tweed trousers, but that's Sir Hilary Bray, not James Bond. The ski outfit and plaid jacket aren't Bond's clothing either. However, I have no excuse for the brown and orange outfit. The shoes he wears with that outfit are really nice.

These days I'd imagine Bond would wear a white formal shirt, dark shawl-collar cardigan, brown or tan cords and brown suede chukka boots.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    I've worn the white collar shirt with black shawl cardigan a few times now and does anyone else's cardigans shed some black fibers all over the white shirt. It's like I almost can't take off the cardigan unless I have a lint roller or something to brush the black fibers off the white shirt. Just my observation, now I mostly wear my QoS cardigan as a CR cardigan with darker undershirts.
    craig.jpg

I keep imagining Craig (IRL) at a Christmas gathering and I'd put him in this outfit but with a deep red sweater. Or perhaps an emerald green (some christmas color N Peal.)
    ^ I thought of that outfit too, but maybe more

20161128_220038.jpg
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))

I'm with Matt S - IMO Bond would wear a winterised version of the Tallamone outfit from QoS.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    How about Brosnan's Monte Carlo outfit in GoldenEye?

- Cable-knitted jumper (in red or green instead of navy)
    - Blue shirt
    - Fawn moleskin trousers (they're warm enough for winter)
    - Brown brogues
    - Day cravat optional
    I'd be interested to see what The Mantis would recommend as family Christmas Bond inspired looks. (Bond Experience Vlog idea :o :o :o maybe??)
    Matt S wrote:

- Blue shirt
    - Brown brogues
    - Day cravat optional

I really like that outfit. One of my favorites.
    Well bond spending Christmas at home I can see the CR hotel slendide balcony outfit. The ge outfit Matt says would work less the cravat , essentially any jumper/cardigan/knitwear bond outfit. Intact both cr the pts peacoat cardigan outfit or even the black knitted long sleeve polo with tweed or herringbone trousers would work for me.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    The one thing Bond would never do - that I've seen mentioned in a few posts - is to wear Christmas colors like red or green. He would dress well for the occasion but not go so far as to pick colors that would fit in like that...
    Matt S wrote:
    ^ Those outfits Lazenby is wearing aren't Bond's. I like the tattersall shirt, cardigan and tweed trousers, but that's Sir Hilary Bray, not James Bond. The ski outfit and plaid jacket aren't Bond's clothing either. However, I have no excuse for the brown and orange outfit. The shoes he wears with that outfit are really nice.

These days I'd imagine Bond would wear a white formal shirt, dark shawl-collar cardigan, brown or tan cords and brown suede chukka boots.

I know it was a disguise, but it's a really nice outfit with a Bond Christmas connection. Also, I like to think that Bond puts a little bit of his own style choices in "some" of his disguises. I say some because there are a number of examples where he is wearing something I would never expect Bond to wear. But, I actually think the tattersall shirt, cadi, tweed trousers and wing tip derbys outfit suits Bond's style.

I like your idea about the white shirt, cardigan with cords and chukkas. That's a warm, cozy, festive mix of Bond cold weather clothes.
    Where would bond spend Christmas? We all know he's had Christmas in Turkey :o but would he be off skiing? Enjoying London at home? Or visiting any relatives or friends? I'm talking modern day bond here.
    canoe2 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

- Blue shirt
    - Brown brogues
    - Day cravat optional

I really like that outfit. One of my favorites.

+1 one of my all time favorites too. And, perfect for the occasion
    Matt S wrote:

I know it was a disguise, but it's a really nice outfit with a Bond Christmas connection. Also, I like to think that Bond puts a little bit of his own style choices in "some" of his disguises. I say some because there are a number of examples where he is wearing something I would never expect Bond to wear. But, I actually think the tattersall shirt, cadi, tweed trousers and wing tip derbys outfit suits Bond's style.

I like your idea about the white shirt, cardigan with cords and chukkas. That's a warm, cozy, festive mix of Bond cold weather clothes.
    Hmm his own style choices?? How do explain him dressing as a mafia pimp for sciarras funeral then JB? Maybe just the double monks were his idea!
    edited November 2016
    Chriscoop wrote:
    We all know he's had Christmas in Turkey

:)) nailed it! Pun intended. I like the CR balcony outfit idea Chris. I could really see opening up some presents in that outfit... I'll let you guys interpret that sentence anyway you see fit.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Hmm his own style choices?? How do explain him dressing as a mafia pimp for sciarras funeral then JB? Maybe just the double monks were his idea!

I could see him wearing the watch and sunnies. The watch was his right (I don't remember off hand which watch he wore in that scene)? And, Bond has worn Monk straps before. Even the coat could be his own. That's a lot potential personal tastes mixed into the outfit.
    Chriscoop wrote:

He picked the designer ....

And the watch
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

The cocktail cuffs on the shirt are Bond, not mafia pimp. The bridge coat is quite naval, so that works for Bond too. The suit is very English in its style, though it's the black that gives it the mafioso look.

As for the cardiagn outfit in OHMSS, that was very 'old man' for 1969. The shirt and trousers (along with the rest of the suit and tie) were straight from Sir Hilary's wardrobe, as we saw earlier in the film.
    Interesting note about the outfit being very old mannish for the time period. I didn't know that. Also, a good point about the pants. That would seem to indicate the outfit as being very disguise orienteted. But, even with such a heavy disguise, Bond incorporates his own items as well as common Bond styles. tweed is a common bond style. The watch is his and the shoes are a cross between two Bond used styles. The cardigan is very Craig. My issue with Bond disguises is that Bond can actually be considered to be in disguise a lot, as he is often introducing himself as someone he is not; it makes it hard to determine where the disguise ends and Bond's style begins.
    Interesting note about the outfit being very old mannish for the time period. I didn't know that. Also, a good point about the pants. That would seem to indicate the outfit as being very disguise orienteted. But, even with such a heavy disguise, Bond incorporates his own items as well as common Bond styles. tweed is a common bond style. The watch is his and the shoes are a cross between two Bond used styles. The cardigan is very Craig. My issue with Bond disguises is that Bond can actually be considered to be in disguise a lot, as he is often introducing himself as someone he is not; it makes it hard to determine where the disguise ends and Bond's style begins.

It's true that it's not always clear what's a disguise and what isn't. The Hilary Bray clothes are a full-on disguise (since we see Bray in the suit himself) and Bond likely wouldn't wear highland dress despite his Scottish heritage. The cardigan was certainly not for Bond at the time. Cardigans have only come back as a young style recently, since they started going out in the 60s. I can't say that Lazenby looks at all like Steve McQueen in his. In America from the 70s through the 90s, the cardigan was the domain of old men. Fred Rogers comes to mind before anyone else. It was what my grandfather always wore. When I first saw Craig in a cardigan in CR, I was quite confused as to why he was wearing an old man's knit. Bray's pleated trousers also marked the outfit as not Bond's, since Bond didn't wear them otherwise in that film (but Connery was still wearing pleated trousers in YOLT). For Lazenby personally, just about anything Bond wore wasn't cool. Though Lazenby wore a suit well, the orange and brown outfit was the only thing Lazenby probably felt comfortable wearing as Bond. Lazenby hated suits because they were what old men wore!
    I have to say that I think Roger Moore might give in to wearing the more traditional colors. Craig's Bond wouldn't give a damn about wearing green or deep red and neither would Brosnan nor Connery.
    I see what you mean about Sir Hilary's outfits being full-on disguises in the context of the story. Additionally, as you point out, from the perspective of Lazenby's style, and from the perspective of chronological style (Meaning Connery's style) up to that point, there is nothing distinctly Bond about the outfit other than the watch. I was looking at the outfit from the perspective of Bond style overall, with the shoes, cardi, pants, shirt, and watch all being in line with style choices of Bond overall. I think it's a fantastic outfit with a Bond Christmas connection that could be easily updated and is something Bond might actually wear from an overall Bond style perspective.