SPECTRE and digital colour correction

2»

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    It's absolutely at its worst in the PTS...
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    edited June 2017
    JTM wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    JTM wrote:

Just saw this thread. I watched Spectre a few times in the cinema and once when the bluray came out. While I absolutely love the movie, throwing it on my home screen made me realise how much the filters really ruin certain scenes. So I took my copy straight to a good friend who works at a film studio in the editing dept and got him work a bit of colour grading magic and he handed me back a perfect yellow filterless copy! Haven't watched the original filtered version since. Can't stress enough just how much better the PTS and the scenes in Austria (Mr White, clinic and plane) look now!

Ayieeeeeeeeeeee.....I want to see!

Strung together a few gifs. Filterless versions on top, originals below.

Snow that's actually white really makes a difference :))

Spectre%20Clinic%20Colour%20Grading_zpsibdkzsjc.gif
    Spectre%20Clinic%20Original_zps7ac7jspm.gif

Spectre%20Mr%20White%20Colour%20Grading_zpsj7f9azpn.gif
    Spectre%20Mr%20White%20Original_zpstwthh96r.gif

Even without the filter the PTS still looks "warm" enough.

Spectre%20PTS%20Colour%20Grading_zpsmsntcbps.gif
    Spectre%20PTS%20Original_zpse66idikj.gif

Looks great! I wish I could see the whole film this way.
    Here's a video of the same issue in the Marvel movies. https://geektyrant.com/news/video-asks-why-all-marvel-movies-have-terrible-color
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

Ayieeeeeeeeeeee.....I want to see!

Strung together a few gifs. Filterless versions on top, originals below.

Snow that's actually white really makes a difference :))

Spectre%20Clinic%20Colour%20Grading_zpsibdkzsjc.gif
    Spectre%20Clinic%20Original_zps7ac7jspm.gif

Spectre%20Mr%20White%20Colour%20Grading_zpsj7f9azpn.gif
    Spectre%20Mr%20White%20Original_zpstwthh96r.gif

Even without the filter the PTS still looks "warm" enough.

Spectre%20PTS%20Colour%20Grading_zpsmsntcbps.gif
    Spectre%20PTS%20Original_zpse66idikj.gif

Looks great! I wish I could see the whole film this way.
    Here's a video of the same issue in the Marvel movies. https://geektyrant.com/news/video-asks-why-all-marvel-movies-have-terrible-color

That video talks about how the colours are dull, which is still a problem that JTM's corrected versions have. Spectre not only dulled the colours but gave them a yellow cast that not even the Marvel movies have. Some understand the dull colours to be more realistic, which does reflect how we see things indoors, but I see much more vivid colours outdoors. My flat right now looks kind of like Spectre, but that's because I have a beige window shade drawn that gives everything a yellow cast. If I have my lamps turned on, that makes everything a bit more yellow. But outside, the sun does not make things more yellow. Whites look white when we're outside.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    It's nice to see that Bond has recovered from his hepatitis!

It really looks so much better without the yellow!

I feel that the filter works for the PTS, captures heat and dust etc, but works decidely against the Alpine scenes.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I feel that the filter works for the PTS, captures heat and dust etc, but works decidely against the Alpine scenes.

Mexico City actually isn't a hot place, so that's not a reason to use the yellow.
    Matt S wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Mexico City actually isn't a hot place, so that's not a reason to use the yellow.

In which case there is no justification for it.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    While making my SPECTRE review, I came across a B-Roll from the film which shows the environments (during filming) in their true colours.
    It's on YouTube, check it out.
    a reasonable rate of return
    While making my SPECTRE review, I came across a B-Roll from the film which shows the environments (during filming) in their true colours.
    It's on YouTube, check it out.

That makes a tremendous difference. It has a more real look, and the locations look more scenic as well.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    It's absolutely at its worst in the PTS...

I agree. I watched the SP extras the other day and they were going though how they've gotten local Mexican artists and craftsmen to create the thousands of unique (and very colourful) costumes and accessories used in the PTS...it seems like such a waste, and kind of an insult, to then go and dull/washout the colours and throw a yellow filter over it all.
    Matt S wrote:
    That video talks about how the colours are dull, which is still a problem that JTM's corrected versions have.

I'll try and figure out how the guy enhanced the colour of the Guardians of the Galaxy scene in that linked youtube video and give it a shot on my Spectre copy.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

But. . .Mexico City has problems with air pollution, so you could say it makes a lot of sense.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

But. . .Mexico City has problems with air pollution, so you could say it makes a lot of sense.

And we're back in the room :))
  • ggl007ggl007 SpainPosts: 388MI6 Agent
    Just compare...

2CC340FB00000578-3247907-Over_1_500_extras_the_most_assembled_for_a_scene_in_any_Bond_fil-a-5_1443346701619.jpg

19295961053_4e73581841_h.jpg

Very interesting that Marvel video and the "black is not black anymore" theory...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    UGggghhh.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    STOP. Stop. stop.
    Don't ruin SPECTRE for me!
    Ahhhhhhhhhh.................................
    a reasonable rate of return
  • BruceMurdockBruceMurdock OhioPosts: 133MI6 Agent
    The recoloration of the Mexico and Tangiers/Morocco scenes look great but I prefer the Austria scenes as they are. The blue filter looks better and more cold in my opinion.
    "No for me."
    "You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
    "I never miss..."
    "Time to face gravity!"
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    The recoloration of the Mexico and Tangiers/Morocco scenes look great but I prefer the Austria scenes as they are. The blue filter looks better and more cold in my opinion.

The one you prefer is the corrected version.
  • BruceMurdockBruceMurdock OhioPosts: 133MI6 Agent

The one you prefer is the corrected version.
    Ooops my mistake. I didn't even notice. Confusion on my part. :))
    "No for me."
    "You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
    "I never miss..."
    "Time to face gravity!"
  • sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent
    I think modern films in general have a toned down colour palette with too much emphasis on the blue, green and orange parts of the colour spectrum. For some reason this is considered more realistic—even for fantasy films, oddly.

The Bond films were renowned for their colour palette which made the glamorous locations more glamorous.

Too much blue, green and orange makes everything look drab.

For more on modern film color this see:

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    The colours in the behind the scenes trailer for B25 look fantastic. They were bold and vibrant. I really hope the film looks the same. -{
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    The colours in the behind the scenes trailer for B25 look fantastic. They were bold and vibrant. I really hope the film looks the same. -{

It's the work of a director who knows what he wants to do with colour. Of course the same can be said about Mendes in SPECTRE, but I think this will work much better.