MI3 Ethan Hunt suede jacket

A little off topic here gents but does anyone know where to get a good copy of the suede jacket worn by Tom Cruise in MI3? I know belstaff released a non screen accurate one but those are impossible to find, and I'd like a screen accurate one anyway. I contacted wested leather and they can make one but they need good clear pics, which are also kind of hard to come by other than the cheap eBay knock offs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Law007316 wrote:
    A little off topic here gents but does anyone know where to get a good copy of the suede jacket worn by Tom Cruise in MI3? I know belstaff released a non screen accurate one but those are impossible to find, and I'd like a screen accurate one anyway. I contacted wested leather and they can make one but they need good clear pics, which are also kind of hard to come by other than the cheap eBay knock offs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have a dvd or blu ray copy it's ridiculously easy to get screen shots with VLC. Not sure about how to screen capture streaming, but many others have done so.
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    You can provide them with a picture of the Belstaff mentioning collar needs to be altered and a breast pocket added....

You can also give them a picture of the different auctions on ebay, from foreign makers....their pictures are good, not the jackets sadly !!!
  • Law007316Law007316 Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the suggestions
  • cmdr_bongcmdr_bong AustraliaPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    This is a link to a thread I'd posted on filmjackets.com for my custom made MI3 Ethan suede blouson:

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4338&hilit=mission+impossible+3

It was made for me by a leather vendor years ago who no longer operates unfortunately. Double unfortunately I no longer own that jacket after I picked up the Belstaff Ethan blouson. I believe we nailed down all the details of the jacket. If you have any questions I'd be more then happy to help.
    Thanks cmdr. How do you like the belstaff?
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    Cmdr, I really like your Tannery jacket. I sold my Belstaff Ethan because the sleeves were way too large, long and the jacket was really short. But it is a really beautiful model. Mine was near perfect and the Suede was sooooo amazing.

Your Saaffi jacket looked really cool, he made a huge, huge work to replicate the Ethan so perfectly....How was the sleeves length and width ?
    Cmdr, the jacket was a thing of beauty. What a shame the folks that made it aren't in business anymore!
    Thank you for the kind comments guys! The overall fit of the jacket is superb as a custom made jacket would be. The sleeves are perfect both in width and lenght; just the right amount of precurve and the cuffs hit bang on the thumb knuckle. Truth be told I regret the sale of the Tannery jacket immensely every time I see photos of it. But I have to remind myself that the reason I let it go was because it was getting a wee bit tight across the shoulder, and that I was wearing it less and less because if it. Given the width of my shoulders currently it would be nigh on impossible to fit into it nowadays. Obtaining the Belstaff Ethan blouson was the final kicker really.

Which brings me to the Belstaff Ethan....which I have since let go also :( Like Fred007 described I find the sleeves of the Belstaff to be all kinds of weird; super long, and super roomy. This juxtapose the body of the jacket which is fitted and really short! The material is top notch though, and I have yet to see suede in this colour on any jackets out there. So given the circumstances when I was offered a princely sum for it I simply cannot refuse. So off that went too. Now I get my MI3 fix by wearing my Superdry Hero Racer jacket in their brown suede. It does the job, but I am still lowkey looking for a better version of brown suede cafe racer style jacket.
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    Law007316 wrote:

Have you looked at Magnoli’s made-to-measure version?

https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/ethan-suede-jacket-custom-made-leather-jackets-by-magnoli-clothiers-p-207.html
  • mallory5mallory5 Posts: 74MI6 Agent
    Have a look at this jacket from Matchless.
    I bought a couple of MI3 jackets from Ebay and the colour and cut was always disappointing
    I bought this and love it and its a pretty similar look.
    Don't be put off by the "military green" colour: its actually brown.

https://www.matchlesslondon.com/collections/man/products/mayfair-blouson-man
    Thanks for the suggestions gents. The magnolia version seems a little off, especially color wise. Does anyone have one to speak of it's quality? Wested said they can make a bespoke one for me at a fairly reasonable price. Has anyone dealt with them? Really appreciate the feedback!
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    I bought Mantis’ MI3 Ethan suede jacket and it is now too small for me so want to sell it on :# Let me know if you’re interested and I can share pics. It measures 20” pit to pit

Would rather sell it to someone who will use it rather than stay hanging in my closet.
    Awesome kadd! Pm sent!!!
    edited February 2019
    In my experience the most important aspect in recreating this jacket is the thickness and texture of the suede (colour of course being equally important). I have had numerous attempts at this jacket where the suede just does not have the "body" to maintain the shape (too soft). If you look at the screen-worn version there's a certain "stiffness" to the jacket that allows it to maintain its sillouette.

Also I noticed that most vendor's offering looks off because the suede they'd chosen does not have the texture, or "hairiness", that the screen-worn or Belstaff version have. They are often too smooth. When you brush your hand across my version and the Belstaff version it will leave visible streaks on the suede.

Focus on these two aspect with you tailor/vendor, and it will be a good start in getting what you want. I went through 6 different types of suede with The Tannery before we'd settled for the one used.
  • writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent
    If I may hijack this thread for a minute on a related topic...

I've been trying to ID the sunglasses worn by Cruise in this movie, but I cannot even determine whether he wears one or several models. I count several scenes: the airstrip before going to Berlin, the funeral, the boat after kidnapping Devian at the Vatican, the bridge fight, and the arrest. There's also the tactical gear for Berlin, but I'm less interested in that.

Google seems to know very little: a couple of very old posts mention Sama Eyewear, specifically the Sly and/or T3 models, but another person dismisses that as not reliable. An eBay vendor ID'ed a pair of Oliver Peoples Wallace that he was selling as used in this movie. And that seems to be it.

It's remarkable how a series which helped put Oakley on the map basically stayed silent on sunglasses for this particular installment. But I'm hoping some eagle-eyed ajb007'er may know more.

Thanks in advance for your help, and glad to be back (have been disconnected for almost a year due to personal issues).
    "Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."

I've been trying to ID the sunglasses worn by Cruise in this movie, but I cannot even determine whether he wears one or several models. I count several scenes: the airstrip before going to Berlin, the funeral, the boat after kidnapping Devian at the Vatican, the bridge fight, and the arrest. There's also the tactical gear for Berlin, but I'm less interested in that.

Google seems to know very little: a couple of very old posts mention Sama Eyewear, specifically the Sly and/or T3 models, but another person dismisses that as not reliable. An eBay vendor ID'ed a pair of Oliver Peoples Wallace that he was selling as used in this movie. And that seems to be it.

It's remarkable how a series which helped put Oakley on the map basically stayed silent on sunglasses for this particular installment. But I'm hoping some eagle-eyed ajb007'er may know more.

Thanks in advance for your help, and glad to be back (have been disconnected for almost a year due to personal issues).

They are the Oliver Peoples Wallance.

Here's a link to a F/S thread at filmjackets.com forum dating back a few years. There are some good close up photos.

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6195159&p=86408&hilit=Oliver+peoples#p86408
  • writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent
    cmdr_bong wrote:

They are the Oliver Peoples Wallance.

Here's a link to a F/S thread at filmjackets.com forum dating back a few years. There are some good close up photos.

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6195159&p=86408&hilit=Oliver+peoples#p86408

Thank you!! -{
    "Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    Apologies for resurrecting an old (and non-Bond) thread but I'm in the market to get one of these made having considered various alternatives as I keep coming back to this style and model of jacket.

Wested can't make one for several weeks and currently don't have the correct suede to do one anyway which has lead me to look elsewhere. I've seen that Magnoli do one and that is a possibility (I have the Bourne Ultimatum jacket from them and am very pleased with the quality) and am also looking at this one on FilmJackets: http://www.famous-jackets.co.uk/Mission-Impossible-3-Tom-Cruise-Suede-Jacket

Does anyone have experience with FilmJackets they could share please or has anyone got the Magnoli version they could also comment on?

Also interested if anyone has bought one/had one made from another supplier.

I'd be grateful for any input with this.

My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6