The Real Morroco Jacket

Another great item just added to my collection, it's the John Varvatos Split Seem jacket that the screen used matchless jacket was a direct copy of! It's also the jacket worn in the Martian.
IMG_6247.jpg

I will add some better images being worn soon when it's stopped raining outside.

Comments

• nafets47nafets47 FloridaPosts: 939MI6 Agent
    Very cool. Is the collar ridged with wire in it, or does it droop?

Best,
    Stefan
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Very nice Ross. -{

Glad you managed to pick up that size 50. I still search for a 52. I look forward to more pics.

After several releases of the Marine Blue Suede Racer jacket I'm surprised John Varvatos never released this in both the Soil color and in a color matching the Spectre Morroco (preferably in their Star USA line).
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    Yeh would be good if they had as it is a nice jacket but the are probably not even aware the matchless SA version was a direct copy.
    Ross
    Yeh would be good if they had as it is a nice jacket but the are probably not even aware the matchless SA version was a direct copy.
    Ross

We bugged customer service enough for the Racer to be re released. Might be time to bug them about this.
    Four years after The Martian, the best look yet at the JV Split Seam jacket on screen appears...in a commercial for Touch of Modern worn by the company's CEO Jerry Hum. :))

vlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h39m44s530.pngvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h40m15s889.pngvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h41m12s991.png

vlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h43m17s940.pngvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h43m35s493.png

I caught the commercial this evening while eating dinner. Weird seeing it after all this time. Weirder yet is the timing. Barring postal delays, my JV Split Seam jacket is due to arrive tomorrow. :D
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Four years after The Martian, the best look yet at the JV Split Seam jacket on screen appears...in a commercial for Touch of Modern worn by the company's CEO Jerry Hum. :))

vlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h39m44s530.pngvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h40m15s889.pngvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h41m12s991.png

vlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h43m17s940.pngvlcsnap-2019-10-08-21h43m35s493.png

I caught the commercial this evening while eating dinner. Weird seeing it after all this time. Weirder yet is the timing. Barring postal delays, my JV Split Seam jacket is due to arrive tomorrow. :D

Nice casual look by Mr Hum with his jacket. Where did you manage to pick your one up from WD??
    edited October 2019
    My JV Split Seam jacket arrived. I am very pleased with it.

IMG-20191010-072236.jpg

To answer nafets47, the collar does have a wire and does not droop.

IMG-20191010-072248.jpg

IMG-20191010-072317.jpg

For such a light jacket it has remarkably heavy zipper hardware. I also believe that the zipper is more apparent in the JV jacket than the Matchless version, keeping with the John Varvatos aesthetic.

IMG-20191010-072255.jpg

IMG-20191010-072302.jpg

If it were a 52 it would be perfect, but the 54 still fits. After 4 years of searching I really can't quibble.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Looks great!
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    My JV Split Seam jacket arrived. I am very pleased with it.

IMG-20191010-072236.jpg

To answer nafets47, the collar does have a wire and does not droop.

IMG-20191010-072248.jpg

IMG-20191010-072317.jpg

For such a light jacket it has remarkably heavy zipper hardware. I also believe that the zipper is more apparent in the JV jacket than the Matchless version, keeping with the John Varvatos aesthetic.

IMG-20191010-072255.jpg

IMG-20191010-072302.jpg

If it were a 52 it would be perfect, but the 54 still fits. After 4 years of searching I really can't quibble.

Did you get this off of eBay?
    I know where you keep your gun!
    emtiem wrote:
    Looks great!

Thanks entiem. There is something about this jacket. It's not showy, but it has presence.
  • apple8apple8 London,UKPosts: 140MI6 Agent
    Very understated! Love it
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    I like it. A versatile jacket and perfect for fall. Congrats Ross and Westward! Very cool B-)
  • The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,325MI6 Agent
    Ross and Steve- how thin is it compared to the Matchless jacket? I was gutted to have missed out when I had the opportunity to buy the 48. You mention that it is light, Steve. Does it have the same feel as the Matchless, or is it slightly more or less "robust"?

So jealous....
    Blair, I hope Ross chimes in. I have never had the Matchless so I cant compare.

The suede of the Martian jacket feels a little softer and more plush than what I recall for the blue JV Cafe Racer. I sold my Cafe Racer years ago so I am relying on memory here. Weight wise the two JV jackets are pretty comparable with the Martian being a hair lighter.

The Martian jacket doesn't feel flimsy by any means. I wouldn't be surprised if it's also made of goat suede.
    Thanks, Steve. Just wanting to see if I should still hold out for one, as I think that I've only worn my Matchless once, but if the JV one was slightly more substantial, I might get more use out of it. The Matchless always seems too delicate for my lifestyle...And I think that you may have a point- if we bug the guys at JV enough, they might just do a reissue. Hope springs...

Blair, I hope Ross chimes in. I have never had the Matchless so I cant compare.

The suede of the Martian jacket feels a little softer and more plush than what I recall for the blue JV Cafe Racer. I sold my Cafe Racer years ago so I am relying on memory here. Weight wise the two JV jackets are pretty comparable with the Martian being a hair lighter.

The Martian jacket doesn't feel flimsy by any means. I wouldn't be surprised if it's also made of goat suede.
  • Victor BVictor B Posts: 476MI6 Agent
    edited January 2020
    Folks, the post mentions this might be the real morocco jacket. But should that be the case anyone knows why it actually looks much darker than in the screen and why Matchless seems to have claim their jacket to be the one in the movie? I also read already some discussion back and forth on this topic but I didn´t find any clear conclusion on this.
    Also if I remember well the responsible lady of costume design did confirm the jacket was from Matchless...
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    It was-I was under the impression that Matchless based their design off of the JV jacket seen in the Martian.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    Yes Matchless made a direct copy in a lighter colour of the JV jacket at the request of Jany. Matchless then sold their inaccurate jackets as they do all the time, sell stuff nothing like used in the films. I am not sure if this is down to licenses or the reason behind it but they never release jacket which are screen accurate and that was the same when they owned Belstaff too.
  • Victor BVictor B Posts: 476MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the clarification folks. Much more clear now :)
  • sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent
    Yes Matchless made a direct copy in a lighter colour of the JV jacket at the request of Jany. Matchless then sold their inaccurate jackets as they do all the time, sell stuff nothing like used in the films. I am not sure if this is down to licenses or the reason behind it but they never release jacket which are screen accurate and that was the same when they owned Belstaff too.

Hi there - aside from the metal badge what other details make the jacket inaccurate compared to the screen used version? it looks the same to my uneducated eye!! Thanks in advance!
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    sunny01 wrote:

Hi there - aside from the metal badge what other details make the jacket inaccurate compared to the screen used version? it looks the same to my uneducated eye!! Thanks in advance!

The hook at the collar, to close it....
    The differences between the screen worn Morocco jacket and those sold are the retail version has the badge on the sleeve, the branding on the zipper pull, and lacks the collar hooks.

Blair, I wouldn't wear the Martian jacket on a motorcycle or hiking through the brush, but it's fine for a night out. The color is much more forgiving than the Matchless and doesn't scream "Look at me!"

An embarrassment of riches!!

It took almost another 2 years, but I finally got a size 52. It fits me much better.

My size 54 will be heading out to another AJB member.

I hope @The Bond Vivant or @jared_nomak will do a comparison with the Matchless version.

• sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

Look forward to it....I've go to be honest to me the differences between the SA version and the retail version are not really that noticeable or much of a del breaker...other than the person wearing the jacket most people would not notice branding on the zipper or the lack of hooks...the only major one is the badge on the sleeve...the overall look of the jacket is still great.

There is another difference, but you'll have to wait till I shoot the video!

• km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent

I know I'm late to the party in this thread, but was this jacket ever reissued at some point? I see yours has tags.. Always wanted one of those jackets but they always seemed impossible to find.

I was fortunate in that it still has tags. To answer your question, the jacket was never reissued. Looking at how the knock off is a staple for Matchless, John Varvatos missed a golden opportunity.

Since being identified there have been around 7 to show up for sale: 2 x EU48 (one with arms shortened a great deal), 2x EU50, 2x EU52, and 1x EU54. All I can say is keep searching, There are many online listing sites beyond eBay. You just have to be vigilant.