Massimo Alba Coat

Hi
Just to give people the heads up the Massimo Alba Duster has obviously been changed from what is worn in the movie to what is avalible can people put some comments if they will still be buying or not, I have tried to explain that without the correct jacket they will lose a lot of sales, so who is and who is no longer going to buy it.

4-CAFBEAF-3-E4-C-4-AFD-B564-4191-F13999-E9.jpg

C8-D9-B7-A5-4067-4-FBE-9-D05-ABD8-E834-F8-AA.jpg

The main difference is the height of the pockets on the jacket now available have been seriously dropped. There is also not only one button the the sleeve and there is a neck catch on the older one but they advise this was not on the one made for the film.

Comments

• jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    I have now cancelled my order for 2 of them.
  • Victor BVictor B Posts: 476MI6 Agent
    What about the colour? Could be the picture but it doesnt quite look the same
  • You know...I decided the new version isn't that bad, and thought maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of it. Then I saw this... X-( https://www.massimoalba.com/it/catalogsearch/result/?q=rain2
    and it sent me over the edge (sort of)

They came out with a new color that's plaid. And I think they call it "fantasia". It's awful of course, but see if you can spot the issue...I'll just say it, it's the old design!! Pockets in the right place! Under the collar tab, right size buttons and two buttons on the cuffs! Why in the world was it so hard to follow that design blueprint for the jacket that you are now advertising as the No Time To Die Bond Rain Coat!? Massimo Alba, hello! I'm talking to you....
    Yes, I realize they can't hear me. Still unbelievable. Someone in that company is getting paid way too much.
    (even if it's minimum wage)
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    You know...I decided the new version isn't that bad, and thought maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of it. Then I saw this... X-( https://www.massimoalba.com/it/catalogsearch/result/?q=rain2

They came out with a new color that's plaid. And I think they call it "fantasia". It's awful of course, but see if you can spot the issue...I'll just say it, it's the old design!! Pockets in the right place! Under the collar tab, right size buttons and two buttons on the cuffs! Why in the world was it so hard to follow that design blueprint for the jacket that you are now advertising as the No Time To Die Bond Rain Coat!? Massimo Alba, hello! I'm talking to you....
    Yes, I realize they can't hear me. Still unbelievable. Someone in that company is getting paid way too much.

I assume you won’t be buying it then lol
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Has the coat been changed again? Following the link from unshaken91’s post and clicking on the “SA” option shows a coat with the two cuff buttons like the original, but the pockets level with the middle button like the updated version??? ?:)

A736-C996-2-CD9-402-F-AFEA-FFBFBE65-BA84.jpg
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    Has the coat been changed again? Following the link from unshaken91’s post and clicking on the “SA” option shows a coat with the two cuff buttons like the original, but the pockets level with the middle button like the updated version??? ?:)

As it was previously mentioned the button placement and pockets are lower but there is also a difference in the lapel as the sit was a bit higher 8-) Granted I have no interest in this jacket but it feels like Massimo Alba is a bit schizophrenic as they keep changing the jacket for no real reason. All they're doing now is losing sales and future business!
    I know where you keep your gun!
    MikeG77 wrote:
    JTM wrote:

As it was previously mentioned the button placement and pockets are lower but there is also a difference in the lapel as the sit was a bit higher 8-) Granted I have no interest in this jacket but it feels like Massimo Alba is a bit schizophrenic as they keep changing the jacket for no real reason. All they're doing now is losing sales and future business!

Im a little confused now. So there’s been three versions of the coat? The original (pockets not inline with buttons, two small buttons on each cuff), the re-release (pockets in line with middle button, one large button on each cuff) and an update on the re-release (pockets in line with middle button, two small buttons on each cuff)?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Does them changing the picture mean that's what one will actually get??
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Does them changing the picture mean that's what one will actually get??

I'm willing to bet money that it would be different :#
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • tardis1711tardis1711 Posts: 208MI6 Agent
    i guess we will soon see once they start sending out the jackets after the closedown.
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    You know...I decided the new version isn't that bad, and thought maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of it. Then I saw this... X-( https://www.massimoalba.com/it/catalogsearch/result/?q=rain2

I don’t believe that is ‘a new colour’. I think that link takes you to the MA website where both coats would have been sold as part of last seasons collection - hence the reduced price showing for the plaid version from its original selling price.

So I wouldn’t base any of your assumptions on, what appear to be, links to old pages showing last seasons cut.

I do agree they should have updated the pictures to the new version of the coat and been clearer given the fact they are tie-ing it in to the film. However, they are a small label with a low number of staff (I’m guessing), so the website is (rightly or wrongly) low priority for them as I believe the bulk of their business is through other retail outlets and not their direct sales, where they don’t even carry all of their available products.

However, I really like the brand. I’ve bought a number of their pieces now - both Bond related and not - and like the quality of the fabric, the cut and how it looks on me. And their customer service, both in their Rome store and online via Alessandro, has been excellent - in stark contrast to some larger ‘Bond’ brands we could mention.

My decision on the coat will be the same. If I like it when it arrives, I’ll keep it. If I don’t, I’ll send it back.

I guess the difference is I’m buying it to wear as I think it will suit me and I like the style, rather than only wanting it if it’s ‘exactly the same as Bond wears’ - that cosplay stuff isn’t of importance to me.

Each to their own.
    Yes. Considerably.
    Given the ‘confusion’, I figured I’d email Alessandro and ask him. Here’s what I found out!

It would appear there have been a number of different variations on the coat which, given it is a staple of their collection, is not a surprise and is consistent with changes other design houses make.

I’ll try and keep this simple though and focus on the 3 things that people seem to be most exercised about. Pocket position, buttons on sleeves, collar closure.

Variant 1 - Higher pockets. 2 buttons on each sleeve. Collar closure.

Variant 2 - Higher pockets. 2 buttons on each sleeve. NO collar closure.

Variant 3 - Lower pockets. 2 buttons on each sleeve. NO collar closure.

The coat that was supplied for the film is variant 2.

The coat currently in production is variant 3.

I sent him the picture of the coat that JTM posted above and asked him if this represented what is their current design. He said it was and that as soon as they are able to get back to production (hopefully early May) he would photograph and send me a picture.

So the difference, from what Alessandro told me, from the ‘Bond’ coat to the current version is the position of the pockets. The coat in the film did not have the collar closure found on the earlier version.

BTW - where’s Cederic when you need him?? He’s got the bloody coat, so could clear things up quite quickly!! :))
    Yes. Considerably.
    Interesting and thanks for sharing!

Im a bit muddled in all this and presumed people were actually receiving versions with one sleeve button.
    There was a also recent version that had only one larger button on each cuff right? I remember there being a lot of upset members over it over in the wardrobe thread. So does that mean there has been four variants then?
    JTM wrote:
    There was a also recent version that had only one larger button on each cuff right? I remember there being a lot of upset members over it over in the wardrobe thread. So does that mean there has been four variants then?

Hahaha - so that one is news to me JTM! I did look at Cedrics pictures but it didn’t show an image which would have shown a second button or not.
    Yes. Considerably.
    So basically we need people who received the coat so far to be kind enough to check and if we are lucky post pics ;)
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    JTM wrote:

You’re right. I was one of the first on here to receive the initial re-issue of this coat, so the changes were not discovered and brought to MA then.

It has no collar closure, low pockets and one lage button per sleeve, so i guess that makes it four variations of this particular item.

What bothers me is not the missing screen-accuracy but MA seeming to be very well aware of the differences (for the whole time) but deciding to keep still and still sell it as the coat from the movie...
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    Thanks for that August. I think that’s totally fair. I guess they never considered it would come under this much scrutiny!! :))
    Yes. Considerably.
    JTM wrote:

You’re right. I was one of the first on here to receive the initial re-issue of this coat, so the changes were not discovered and brought to MA then.

It has no collar closure, low pockets and one lage button per sleeve, so i guess that makes it four variations of this particular item.

What bothers me is not the missing screen-accuracy but MA seeming to be very well aware of the differences (for the whole time) but deciding to keep still and still sell it as the coat from the movie...

Well im not sure if a lot of people realise but when I first contacted them about the suit asking if it would be reissued, the girl told me yes but in a diff colour but it would be close enough! That was their mindset initially - obviously they did eventually see sense on the suit.
  • cederic0011cederic0011 UKPosts: 181MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    JTM wrote:

Well im not sure if a lot of people realise but when I first contacted them about the suit asking if it would be reissued, the girl told me yes but in a diff colour but it would be close enough! That was their mindset initially - obviously they did eventually see sense on the suit.

I think maybe the issue is they genuinely don’t understand why this level of detail is important to anyone and frankly it probably isn’t important to the majority of their customers (which I don’t think is us). They are a fashion business, and the coat has already sold out on their website (waiting for re-order again) and Mr Porter. Likely the re-order will sell out again.

My original conversations with MA to get the “Steps” trousers in SA colour and style, took many conversations from at least 3 of us ( Welshie included) before they realised... it had to have exact same colour code, exact same style and everything. But we got there in the end with perseverance and helped by fact they have standard trouser styles which don’t change - though they were still slightly bemused. And to put our combined AJB “Steps” trouser order into a business context for a moment - it was only a total order of Euro 10k, frankly pretty marginal for the effort that went into it with all the behind the scenes work on individual orders vs selling a standard product online (I had many conversations through process to keep things moving and resolve issues). The same messages were also coming across to them on re-running the Sloop Suit in the same colour, style ( as originally they told me too, it would be in “similar” colour, but not the same). It certainly helped them attune to the broader benefits of linking to Bond and probably helped them get to the product offerings we now see for this season linked to the film. However the duster coat was different, with hindsight, in one important respect, as it was already part of the planned seasons stock and already in the same colour code as the film, unlike the trousers and sloop suit. So in that sense they had already updated design (last seasons design/colour typically being redundant).

For me, the coat is as “screen accurate” as most TF clothes from the films ( SPECTRE jacket - pocket size, TF suits which always seem slightly different from those worn in film unless you go MTM - sleeve buttons again, for example!), so on this one, I’m not fussed about the finer details, as I’m really still working out whether I’m brave enough to wear it out, as a bit more of a fashion statement than Bond normally wears in my view!

I’m genuinely appreciative that MA take the time and effort to help us and we can actually access these items : I have spent 4 years searching for the Neil Barrett SPECTRE trousers, where there was zero interest from NB on benefiting from the Bond connection, and then finally, two weeks ago I came up trumps with a second hand pair! That’s a lot of time and effort I assure you!

I do think there is an opportunity for those who want SA duster though, if we all remain respectful and polite to MA, to persuade them to think about a SA version for Spring 2021 shortly after the film comes out.... as there will be another chance to benefit from market demand then. The other option, is to follow my NB trouser example above and begin the long patient game of searching and waiting for a SA version to come up second hand. They will do eventually...
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    If I had known these differences in before I would have wait and see if MA do a SA run and buy the more SA coat then.
    If MA only reissue the not-so-close-sa-coat (which I own now) I would definitely buy this version again.
    I'm maybe too tolerant when I think about the price and remember their line "you will have the exact same cloth as DC in nttd..." but I'm still okay with these missing details, they do not destroy the character of the coat and that makes the point for me (in contrast to the connolly buttons which have a huge impact on the design of the jacket in my eyes).
    nightmare: imagine a scene where DC uses the tabcollar or the second buttons and they play a leading role in the finale scene or so : D
  • Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent
    I really like the coat. I love the colour, I love MA's soft corduroy (I have the suit and trousers).It's not just another casual jacket or pair of brown suede desert boots. In total honesty, having been worn by James Bond is the biggest selling point for me. The screen accurate features aren't a huge deal for me but I'd PREFER to have them.

How can I help persuade MA to re-release the SA coat?
    I really like the coat. I love the colour, I love MA's soft corduroy (I have the suit and trousers).It's not just another casual jacket or pair of brown suede desert boots. In total honesty, having been worn by James Bond is the biggest selling point for me. The screen accurate features aren't a huge deal for me but I'd PREFER to have them.

How can I help persuade MA to re-release the SA coat?

Would prob have to get a group of people and ask nicely :D
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    Hi am pondering getting this a bit concerned about SA bigger issue seems to be sizing though doesn’t seem to be as bad as the Connolly.
    I got the Rogue territory in XL and the N Peal and Rag and Bone in L and the fit for all great any suggestions appreciated .
    Anthony
    So my duster coat arrived this morning.

8-B60-FE3-C-9501-43-FF-A9-EC-869-D09-D06345.jpg

Gotta say, I absolutely love it!

For detail...

2 Buttons on each sleeve.

Pockets lower than on screen accurate - but definitely at a height that is natural to put your hands into...should you be so inclined!

Outside of that, colour is definitely of the sage/green tinge and not of the more beige/brown in some pictures.

The cord feels like velvet to touch and the unstructured nature of the coat means that the ‘hang’ will be different depending on your shape and size.

What do I mean by that? Well if you think of Bonds overcoat at the Spectre funeral, that had massive structure built in to it. So, given that structure, it would kind of form the look of the coat around you...irrespective of your physique.

The Massimo Alba duster is not that coat. It is softer. It’s lines flow and find their way around you. The ‘hang/look’ of the coat will be different for everybody.

I’m 182cm/6’2 feet with a 32” waist. I took a IT50 in other MA clothing (including a beautiful brown, velvet, double breasted coat), they (MA) told me to size down to an IT48 for the duster. I was worried about arm length (always an issue for me). It fits perfectly.

Clear conscious...I love this brand and have bought a lot of it (a lot of non-Bond related as well) as it really seems to suit my physique and my style.

They’re not paying me in any way at all for anything I post here - I wish! ;-)

If you are a collector and only want SA, you’re probably going to want to step away because of the pocket position.

If you are informed by Bonds style but don’t need it to be SA, I would highly recommend this purchase if you think if fits your style and budget - cos it’s not cheap!

But the quality of the tailoring is first class and the material used is top of the line.

I will post pictures of me wearing it - and it definitely IS a ‘buttons undone, collar up,
    free flowing in the wind behind you’ kind of coat!

Any one who wants a rain coat to keep them dry on their commute should definitely look elsewhere!

2-BD52-AE3-7-D2-F-40-B1-8-BB2-C1734-DB3949-C.jpg
    Yes. Considerably.
    Sorry - not sure why the image went skew-iff!!!
    Yes. Considerably.
    So just for clarification they are now shipping with SA buttons and its only the pockets wrong?
    Yep!

Two buttons each sleeve.

Pockets lower than SA - but certainly more ‘sensible’ level if you need to use them.

Colour gorgeous. Quality of cord - like velvet.

(I’m not an ‘influencer’ (what ever that is?), I’m not paid / compensated in any way. Love the brand cos it works really, really well for me at a price point that is accessible for me. I could never justify paying for anything from Tom Ford. But each to their own).
    Yes. Considerably.
  • hp35hp35 Posts: 2MI6 Agent

Hello all,

been following threads on Bond 25 for a while here and have great interest on this duster coat that Bond wears in the Norway scene. As this coat is expensive and pretty high end I don’t want to screw it up on the size. For you guys that have it how does it fit? Is it roomy? I can’t really have a concrete answer between MA size charts, Mr Porter and someone on eBay and MA support…

i really can’t decide between 46 (S) and 48 (M). Don’t want this to be baggy of any sort and most screen accurate as possible adequately to me (I’m thin, tall - ectomorph….but have some shoulders so not easy for clothes and sizing depending on the brand).

I’m 6,06 ft

pit to pit: 21,25in

sleeve: 31,49

waist: 27,95

chest: 37

thx for already all infos and advices and hope to find my answer here!

Hugh from France 🎬💥🇫🇷

• JB1106340JB1106340 Posts: 434MI6 Agent

Hugh, I would say it would definitely have to be the 46 for you, and you'll still have some room. I have the 46 and am the same height and slightly broader than you and I still have room to spare (but it fits well). You'll probably need just a little tailoring if you want it to look like a slim fit but Bond doesn't really wear it like that as can be seen from the photo above.