Help required! Day of the Dead Spectre Skull Mask

Hello all. So I’m in the process of making my own Day of the Dead Spectre skull mask and was hoping I could get some help from any owners of the Factory Entertainment prop mask, or indeed anyone who’s seen or knows about the actual prop mask used in the movie.

Specifically I’m after any information or photos concerning the jaw part of the mask.

I think I read somewhere that this was a separate piece added to the mask to allow movement in tandem with the wearer’s own jaw- is this right? If so how is it attached to the upper part of the mask and what is the mechanism that allows it to move like this? As I say any photos of the inside of the mask showing this part of the mask are greatly appreciated as I could only find a photo of this from the outside perspective.

If I’m wrong and it’s not a separately attached moveable piece, can I just rigidly attach it to the upper part of the mask?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, cheers.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited September 2022

The screen used ones did have a seperate jaw, but it was permanently attached to the top skull half. There wasn’t any movement designed into the mask, it was just that the joint was flexible due to the light material used to form it and gave that impression. It wasn’t designed to move with the actors jaw as such. So rigidly attaching it is fine. Don’t go of the FE mask. It’s not accurate in any way.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,342MI6 Agent

Cheers Asp9mm, that’s really helpful and comes as a blessed relief as this should make things considerably easier for me.

Yes, I recall the conversations about the FE one being oversized, hence why I’m going to try my hand at making my own (not to mention I don’t have a spare 300 quid lying around!)

• propcollector22propcollector22 Lake district UKPosts: 72MI6 Agent

its a bit late from the post date (and you may have completed it by now) but christies auctioned one of the originals and there a few close ups of the actual one out there from their site

Paul
    (no money left now...send food parcels)

Lock and Co have the SPECTRE DotD costume on display. Sadly the shoes aren’t correct and even worse, they used an FE mask. Can you tell 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks guys, alas sadly far from finished my version -my day job getting in the way unfortunately!

Asp9mm-That mask is huge, I’ve never seen it in the context aloft a mannequin before. Well, if indeed I ever wanted one before, I certainly wouldn’t want an FE one now!

So after several, ok many, months with this project consigned to a box, I’ve recently been making steady progress on this replica mask.

Although it’s not oversized like the FE one, it’s going to be ornamental only as the milliput I’ve used to sculpt the shape makes it massively heavy!

A quick question for anyone in the know: I’m aware that the replica mask had, for want of a better description, sunglasses type arms on either side. I’ve not been able to find clear photos of these so I’m curious to see how they are fixed to the mask, are they just stuck on proud of the mask at the sides, disguised in the black strip that curves up to the temples, or are they built into the actual mask itself and just stick out the back?

Any help is really appreciated!

Photos hopefully coming soon! Cheers!

The arms are cut off and mounted to a piece of square metal mesh. This is then mounted between the mask and the felt like inner liner. Just fixed with doubled sided tape on the mask side. For easy adjustment I guess.

Thanks Asp9mm, so they are stuck on the inside of the mask then?

How much of the arm is on show at the back of the mask do you know?

edited June 2023

Yeah that’s right. I’d say there’s about two inches of arm showing. Three max. Certainly not much. They’re just cheap reading glasses arms. Black.

Cheers for this, that’s an enormous help!

Finally got around to finishing the replica mask, hope you all like it!

• Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,884MI6 Agent

A lot of detail work, I could never do anything like this. I like the display. Good work!

Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!

Many thanks Matt!