The Definitive Connery/Bond Dress watch ID Thread

13»

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

I know Jason and I’ve already asked him. Not a clue.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,342MI6 Agent

Ah, sorry to hear that.

Back to the drawing board it is then!

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,162MI6 Agent

I've nothing to add but just wanted to say keep up this fantastic detective work chaps. Credit and kudos🍸️

Although the final answer tantalising still eludes us, it's soooo much progress in a such a short amount of time.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Boothroyd89Boothroyd89 Posts: 64MI6 Agent

This might be the final evidence that I'm able to extract from my current material, and it only reinforces the Girard Perregaux.

It is extremely faint, but we can barley make out some text on the dial, which align almost perfectly with the corresponding text on the GP.

A bit of an update: I pulled some screen grabs from Dr.No (best quality I could get I'm afraid) and the lugs on the mystery watch seems to match up with the lugs on the watch Connery is wearing in his off time.

This still doesn't confirm the GP or even the watch being Connery's personal watch. But it keeps debunking the Gruen and gives support to the notion of the "Connery's personal watch-theory".

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,735MI6 Agent
    edited March 2023

I think you're right about it being his personal one; it does look a lot like the one he was wearing at the time. But then it seems like an awful lot of watches did! 😊 I was watching Endeavour on ITV over the weekend and thought about this again as the watch he wears looked pretty similar- I thought I even saw a seconds subdial too.

Maybe if we ever get the 4K editions of the films we'll get a closer look- probably not though!

edited March 2023

Have you seen this one before incidentally? Only a glimpse but at least it seems in focus; looks from the right time to me too (seems the photoshoot may have been from 1960).

That one is news to me!

And now we can clearly see the hour batons being pointy as it was only speculated to be either pointy or straight before. Excellent find! 🍸️

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

Cracking episode of Endeavour wasn’t it? I can’t think of any other period programme where the attention to detail is so good, you really think you’re watching a programme made in the past.

Yes. Considerably!

Was just looking at some photos on Thunderballs and was reminded of this thread - is this the same one?

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

I saw this the other day and am quite tempted. It’s so damned close it could be it too

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,028MI6 Agent

Go for it! These things are cute as pies... (Mine are not gold mind you)

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    edited November 2023

Only thing setting it apart is the hands not matching up - But same overall design from a prestigious brand - If you're going to substitute, do it well, and it's a brilliant option.

I actually went the same rout as this beauty showed up locally for a very fair price

edited November 2023

Don't really know how much traction this thread gets, but I've been posting my findings over at the watchuseek forum as well and it's been well received. I just really hope some voices would share the word with other watch-related outlets and the rest of the community 😅

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,093MI6 Agent

Please link to the Watchuseek thread.

All the recent posts on IG about the Gruen being the Doctor No watch have gotten tiresome.

edited November 2023

I was about to throw another candidate into the mix that I found on ebay that ticks a lot of boxes, a gold Roider cal. 70 from with a hallmark for Edinburgh 1955 - So it would be a perfect candidate for Connery's personal watch, if not for it being 31mm, which is no way for Connery's wrist given the proportions of what we see in the films 🤣

Apart from that it's almost a dead ringer, especially the lugs. The only thing bothering me are the hour batons, as I can almost swear the Mystery watch has pointy markers, but again - The 31mm case I think we can write off completely.