Advice Sought: Couple of Odd Items

Afternoon all

I am in the process of slowly going through all the bits and bobs I have to get rid of, which is all quite straightforward as you can compare most things on eBay, however when I was going through my boxes, I found a couple of items that I am not sure if they are even worth a second look and should go in the bin.

Both items are things I picked up off of eBay absolutely years ago, so there is no historical record of what they were listed as.

The first item, is a red folder with a letter of authenticity from a "rareprops.co.uk" and is titled "The World is Not Enough King Pipeline File and Map". It says this letter certifies that the above item was used in the film and can be seen in the film. The question I have is, as Rareprops does not have a website, does this even have a value any more because there is no-one to validate the authenticity as such.

The second item is odd, and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was supposed to be. There are four sets of stapled A4 paper which look like they are on headed UiP paper and appear to have snippets of interviews and quotes from Octopussy. The main set of papers has a headline of "News Editor' Quick Reference Fact Sheet" and then lists details about the film, a cast and crew list and then bios of the actors etc. Can anyone shed any light on what this would be and if it is the kind of thing a collector would enjoy.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

James

Comments

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,168MI6 Agent
    edited June 2023

There were a couple of different red folders from The World is Not Enough, the main one being the bulky D-ring folder with image of the factory on the front, in the outer sleeve. Inside would typically be heaps of different pages, from written statistics to graphs etc. Several different MI6 satellite maps were made for the film too.

Are you able to post a pic of them here?

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • JimmingtonJimmington Posts: 4MI6 Agent

Evening QQ,

Thanks for getting back to me. The folder only had a map in it, which lines up with the LoA that came with it. Took a couple of quick pics of the items.

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,168MI6 Agent

Can't really comment on the Octopussy piece, though neither of these are something you throw out. The folder looks legit to me, and occasionally you see them for sale on various sites, the contents inside can differ from one to another. I saw one for sale maybe last year. The map is of the oil pipeline. Wouldn't mind one of these folders myself, keep us updated on your plans to sell.

Thanks for the guidance QQ, much appreciated.

I was under the impression it was legit as I remember at the time, that mob had quite a lot of gear for sale on eBay, but obviously as time moves on, it gets harder to prove, and you are reliant on the LoA.

May I ask, where/what is the preferred method for selling bits? I have assumed it is eBay, but I am not sure bits like the above will really sell on there. It is like the Martini glasses and shaker in a box from a company called Spy Guise or something that I have - probably looks like a fish out of water on eBay, but a Bond collectible fan may have heard of it, so it is trying to get this stuff to the right audience...

We have a dedicated sales section on the forum, or you are welcome to offer it for sale here in this thread. PayPal is the way to go when exchanging funds. Feel free to have a look on Google at what other folders sold for. You can offer a price, or I can give you my honest opinion on what I would pay for the folder with map included.

I would be interested in your opinion on what I should be looking to get for it, if you wouldn't mind. The main thing for me is that it goes to someone who will appreciate it. Most of the bits I have are all standard stuff really, but I would rather a collector got something they were after rather then binning it on eBay to someone who will then try and sell it to a collector for double further down the line!

I do dread to think how much I have spent over the years, but it was fun for a while. I think the deactivated PPK all those years ago was probably an excessive step too far!!!

£150 - that's the maximum I'd feel comfortable paying considering there's just the one document inside. Have a think about it, if you're satisfied with that price, I'd be happy to take it.