Poster Authenticity Question/Help

notsure101notsure101 Posts: 3MI6 Agent

So...I have a rolled Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only (international version) poster that I bought a few years ago. Pricing was pretty steep, yet decent. Has anyone heard of any fakes? I only ask because I purchased the poster from a seller on eBay who was accused of selling some bootleg Star Wars posters from years ago. I didn't know this when I made the buys, of course. That seemed to be the only burn people had from this guy that I could find in some old forums.

His seller score is excellent. His background in legitimate poster dealing seems to check out and it seemed like he addressed the Star Wars controversy from a decade ago or more.

Anyway, the posters look great but I notice on the spy poster that it just seems slightly different and I can't tell if I'm being overly analytical. The top two images are from my poster, which is framed. The bottom two are from a poster up for auction at Sotheby's that I screenshotted from their website. I also looked around at other posters for sale and they seemed to line up with the details in the Sotheby's one. In mine, in the bottom right corner by Stromberg's water base, the blue is darker and the bubble streams are less pronounced. The white bubble streams seem more pronounced/white in the Sotheby's one. Another example is the colorful lines coming from the lotus, passing Bond. I feel like they are a bit brighter and slightly more pronounced than in mine.

I recognize that I don't have another poster in person to physically compare, so perhaps I see mine in more detail. I also recognize that doing a thorough background check as best as possible before purchasing in the future is important to avoid the wondering. Hindsight is 20/20....

Any thoughts on authenticity? Thank you in advance for any opinions!

Comments

• notsure101notsure101 Posts: 3MI6 Agent

One other note, mine is framed so there is a little glare in the top two images

• 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

Annoying when you find someone cheating. I’ll see if I can find my repro version for comparison. Only found TMWTGG as shown. These were the official reprint, but I’ve never checked out the overall size. When handling originals, after many years the art paper develops a natural aged feel. These reproduced feel like printed yesterday but are 25 years old! If I find the SWLM I’ll check the images you’ve posted.

On a tangent, many years ago I came across printers colour testing posters for TND. Still have a couple but if interested I might sell one. Unfortunately they are a bit worse for wear.

• notsure101notsure101 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    edited August 2023

Thanks for your response. I actually have the MWTGG reprint that you are showing their that was manufactured in 1997 (it's rolled up, but I actually went through it yesterday!). I got that years ago in the 2000s. It measures 24x36.

My Spy Who Loved Me poster measures 27x41. If the size were less, it would be a definite fake, so this is at least one check on the side for authenticity. Here are two more pics of the bottom of the poster. It's been a out a year and a half since I framed it and I feel like it was in great, but seemingly old shape.