MOST OVERRATED BOND FILM

The DoveThe Dove Posts: 14MI6 Agent
So we've voted on our most underrated Bondie ever, let's grit our teeth and go the other way. I have to say that the most overrated Bond movies of all time are-

1) DAD- Anyone that liked this movie should be publicly flogged and deficated upon. No, I'm kidding, but seriously, I haven't heard THAT much outcry against this atrocity on this site, and that is unfortunate- because it shows a complete lack of discresion from such wonderful and intelligent fans.

2) THUNDERBALL- I am cringing as I write this, because I know that so many of you loved this film. I, personally, never really understood why. I thought that it was nothing compared to FRWL and Goldfinger, it reminded me too much of Dr. No (which is fine, but it had already done before), and I disliked the final battle scene, which was corny and over-the-top. I am not putting Thunderball in the ranks of DAF or DAD, but it's no classic.

What do you think?

Comments

• Doake18Doake18 Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    edited August 2003
    Haha, even though I'm sure we have many older threads on this, I'll go ahead and post my thoughts. I ,of course, believe that Die Another Day is the most overrated film in the series. It suffered from a terrible leading lady (Berry), locations that looked like something out of an animated picture, and weak villians who were never really developed all that well.

I realize we have many members here who feel that DAD is a great film and one of the best of the series, but for my money it doesn't get much worse. I really enjoyed the first 45 minutes of the movie, but then the plot gets really overdone and too fast to really grasp what's going on. I was really distracted by the invisible Vanquish. The distraction was due to the laughter from everyone in the room that was watching it with me. Also distracting were the comments like "I have never seen anything that stupid" ,this just made me realize that is was quite farfetched (even though I know the technology is available).

Also, a great deal of my dislike for the movie comes from the CGI, especially the wind surfing. Come on, I haven't seen something look that fake since the backdrop to the cable-car scene in Moonraker (understandable in 1979). Don't even get me started on the face changing of Graves/Moon, it was not very believable and to be honest I wish they had been two different characters on the same side.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Brosnan in it, but at times I got the feeling that he thought everything that was going on around him was somewhat overdone and rather juvenile in comparison to the other Bond classics. Miranda Frost was a highpoint IMO, and she would have done a much better job in the leading lady role. We don't need the big stars as the lead for the woman, too much of a break from tradition (yeah I know MGM is making tons of money, but I'm begging them to keep some tradition).

As long as the money keeps rolling in, the trend that has started with DAD will continue and I am just going to have to accept it. It is really hard for me to grasp, but hopefully in Brosnan's final effort ( which will probably not be 21), he will step up and say he wants to do a realistic film that pays respect to the classics. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

From all this I get the notion that Die Another Day is the most overrated of the series.
  • FRWLYOLTFYEOTLDTNDFRWLYOLTFYEOTLDTND Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Goldeneye

Its a good film, but its tooo personal.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Thunderball is one of my least favourite bond films, yet it seems to be very popular. Also, FRWL is IMO good, but not THAT good.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Dove, I'm with you in despising DAD, but I don't think that it's overrated -- certainly not in this forum, where many people share our views.

I think GE is the most overrated film. It's not horrible or anything (I rank it somewhere in that 12-15 middle ground) but it's certainly not the definitive Bond film that so many seem to think. Tiger's excellent post in the "Least Most Complained About..." thread ends by correctly pointing out that GE is the least-complained-about film. There's no way it deserves that lofty a place in the Bond canon. The reason for this, I suspect, is that a whole generation of Bond fans were introduced to the series in 1995 after the six-year absence, and like a first romantic fling, there's a loyalty that is very strong.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • BrosBond007BrosBond007 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    The most overrated Bond film imo is Goldfinger. It was a great movie, but it wasn't perfect. Many people are saying how its the best action movie ever or the best Bond film ever, but it isn't.
  • TeeHeeTeeHee Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Thunderball and Die Another Day, without a shadow of a doubt.
  • FelixFelix Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    I will further stir the hornet's nest by saying I find TWINE to be overrated. The plot is choppy and there are scenes that feel tacked on to me. The pacing is odd with some sections dragging while others feel rushed as if they were skipping over them. Denise Richards turns in the absolute worst performance of the entire series. . .not just by a Bond girl but by anyone.

Now that I have slammed it for a few lines, I will say that I like it because it is a Bond film, and I there are many many things I like about it (the score, the general "feel," the pre-title sequence, Brosnan's performance.) I just think its the most overrated because it is often held up as the pinnacle of the Brosnan era, while I find it the least appealing.

BTW, please insert IMO at the end of every sentence in this post!
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Quoting BrosBond007:
    The most overrated Bond film imo is Goldfinger. It was a great movie, but it wasn't perfect. Many people are saying how its the best action movie ever or the best Bond film ever, but it isn't.

I'm aghast that some of you feel this way about Goldfinger. It makes me really sad that the charm of this movie was lost on so many of you. The action is very little of what makes it so special. I hang my head. :(
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited August 2003
    Personally, I was never very good at calculating the over-rating and under-rating views of the general public. But yeesh, TB, FRWL, GE, and now GF overrated? :o :s
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:
    Dove, I'm with you in despising DAD, but I don't think that it's overrated -- certainly not in this forum, where many people share our views.

I think GE is the most overrated film. It's not horrible or anything (I rank it somewhere in that 12-15 middle ground) but it's certainly not the definitive Bond film that so many seem to think. Tiger's excellent post in the "Least Most Complained About..." thread ends by correctly pointing out that GE is the least-complained-about film. There's no way it deserves that lofty a place in the Bond canon. The reason for this, I suspect, is that a whole generation of Bond fans were introduced to the series in 1995 after the six-year absence, and like a first romantic fling, there's a loyalty that is very strong.

I have to say that I actually posted Goldeneye as the Least Most Complained About Film on that post even before Tiger, put who's counting? :) I have to say that I don't share your opinion on Goldeneye, but I respect it all the same.
    Quoting Doake18:
    Haha, even though I'm sure we have many older threads on this, I'll go ahead and post my thoughts. I ,of course, believe that Die Another Day is the most overrated film in the series. It suffered from a terrible leading lady (Berry), locations that looked like something out of an animated picture, and weak villians who were never really developed all that well.

I realize we have many members here who feel that DAD is a great film and one of the best of the series, but for my money it doesn't get much worse. I really enjoyed the first 45 minutes of the movie, but then the plot gets really overdone and too fast to really grasp what's going on. I was really distracted by the invisible Vanquish. The distraction was due to the laughter from everyone in the room that was watching it with me. Also distracting were the comments like "I have never seen anything that stupid" ,this just made me realize that is was quite farfetched (even though I know the technology is available).

Also, a great deal of my dislike for the movie comes from the CGI, especially the wind surfing. Come on, I haven't seen something look that fake since the backdrop to the cable-car scene in Moonraker (understandable in 1979). Don't even get me started on the face changing of Graves/Moon, it was not very believable and to be honest I wish they had been two different characters on the same side.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Brosnan in it, but at times I got the feeling that he thought everything that was going on around him was somewhat overdone and rather juvenile in comparison to the other Bond classics. Miranda Frost was a highpoint IMO, and she would have done a much better job in the leading lady role. We don't need the big stars as the lead for the woman, too much of a break from tradition (yeah I know MGM is making tons of money, but I'm begging them to keep some tradition).

As long as the money keeps rolling in the tend that has started with DAD will continue and I am just going to have to accept it. It is really hard for me to grasp, but hopefully in Brosnan's final effort ( which will probably not be 21), he will step up and say he wants to do a realistic film that pays respect to the classics. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

From all this I get the notion that Die Another Day is the most overrated of the series.

I'm with you completely on that analysis, except for the fact that I did like Halle Berry as Jinx and I thought that Frost was a good character. Also, there was a very heated and lengthy discussion in my post on DAD in the DAD forum a few months ago, and it was determined that while some adaptive camoflauge technology is very high tech and effective today, it could never come close to making a car invisible and it probably will never be possible.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Quoting Felix:
    I find TWINE to be overrated.

Same here.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Valentin ZukovskyValentin Zukovsky Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Quoting FROSTY:
    "FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE" - Dated, slow, no ingenuity

"THUNDERBALL" - Dreary, too long, water-logged pace

"GOLDENEYE" - The worst film i've ever seen!

Surely you jest . . .

For me? I dunno. I've only seen eight, remember?
    Hey Jazz X, here's a couple more-

"What are you smoking?"
    "Are you smoking it out of a bong or a pipe?"
    "When did you get let out of the mental institution?"
    "Why are you on this site?"
    "What great movies have you produced?"
    "When did you get named the smartest man alive?"
  • Red GrantRed Grant Posts: 147MI6 Agent
    Well, forgive the fence sitting, but I think its a bit far fetched for us to actually state overrated films. Come on guys, were the James Bond fanbase, we overrate them all :)
  • murray48murray48 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I think they are all over rated....AND I LOVE THEM ALL FOR IT!
  • zebondzebond DolletPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    Actually... I do believe that the Bond films are a little overrated aswell. Even my personal favorite, OP (though it dosen't usually get a lot of crap, does it?) But isn't every movie ever made overrated, even if just a little? To one person it could be because of the way it makes them feel that it is overrated while to another they believe it is a perfect film. It doesn't matter if YOU don't think it's overrated, but if someone else does, then it is. If they truly believe that it's overrated then to THEM it is. For me, I think OHMSS is by far the most overrated Bond film ever. While to many others, it is a great entry to the series, I can hardly stand it. When I have my "Bondfests" I grit my teeth and get through it. And I'm sure that almost everybody else here has one that they do the same thing with. TB, FRWL, DAD, GF etc were all mentioned. But we get through those movies because we are the fans. It's almost like our job, to make every movie look good, so that what we love, can live on. It's the same way with Trekkies, Star Trek fans. They may not like the first Star Trek movie, but they watch it because they are the fans. So do I think it is a bad thing to have a post that discuses the movies that we, as the fans, believe to be overrated on a personal level? no, not at all. Don't get me wrong, though, too many posts about the same thing can be bad. All of this is just the way I believe to be the way it works, so, heh, if you don't agree with me... don't bash me too hard...:)
    "Guns make me nervous!"
  • PoonrakerPoonraker Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:

Don't forget the influence that came from the N64 game.

That's how I was introduced to Bond.
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    I have to go with Thunderball. The 1st 20 minutes or so its great action then for the next hour its very drawn out with its scenes.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Hmmm, I'm craving for a salad of ripe tomatoes, so...LET EM FLY!!!!

I think that the following are over-rated:

DN
    GF
    DAD
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I would also have to say FRWL, not that many great scene.
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    I will say probobly:Thunderball or Goldfinger.
    I do not think DAD is overrated,most people (most, not all) on this site, do not rate it high at all. I do not think FRWL is overrated, I think it is perfectly rated! And Goldeneye is not overated either!
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    THUNDERBALL!

THE most overrated Bond film is its entire history. After that, comes THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. Great film, but the villain is so boring, and lacking. I LOVE TSWLM, but it is a tad overrated Bond, when there are significantly better films in the series.

DAD, I don't know, I don't think so.

GF is also overrated, but with a good reason - it was -and still is- the most fun Bond movie ever made.

FRWL underrated? No way!

IMO, always...
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    I don't think that any Bond film is overrated, except one; TLD. Alot of people on this site consider it to be an absolute classic however to me it is just a boring second-right action thriller with one of (IMO) the two worst Bonds delivering a terrible performance. I consider TLD to be the second worst Bond film of all time. Recently, I mentioned the low ranking of TLD on my list in a thread which drew outrage from two other members. That alone convinced me that TLD is overrated. ;)

BTW, how can anybody call TB overrated? :o :s If anything it is underrated! X-( ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS is a GREAT Bond, which is only let down by its Red Grant-copycat henchman and an even worse Baker as Whittaker. Dalton is the perfect Fleming Bond, and I really loved his performance, as well as the film. The music is wonderful, the plot is engaging and refreshingly spy-like (the last spy plot was in FYEO, really). Its also a great thriller, and the action is thrilling. I always said that Glen, as he got further, with AVTAK's exception, got better in directing, and it shows. Also, one of the best Bond girls. You could really feel the romance between them, and you really cared for Kara Milovy.

TLD, is a great Bond film, and the perfect "reboot" after Moore's Bond: The darker Bond was back, and Dalton started it. Bravo!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS is a GREAT Bond, which is only let down by its Red Grant-copycat henchman and an even worse Baker as Whittaker. Dalton is the perfect Fleming Bond, and I really loved his performance, as well as the film. The music is wonderful, the plot is engaging and refreshingly spy-like (the last spy plot was in FYEO, really). Its also a great thriller, and the action is thrilling. I always said that Glen, as he got further, with AVTAK's exception, got better in directing, and it shows. Also, one of the best Bond girls. You could really feel the romance between them, and you really cared for Kara Milovy.

TLD, is a great Bond film, and the perfect "reboot" after Moore's Bond: The darker Bond was back, and Dalton started it. Bravo!
    See, yet more evidence that TLD is overrated. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Diamonds Are Forever.Easily as jovial as anything they did with the often maligned Roger Moore.Connery is clearly carrying a bit of extra weight and eager to get back on the golf course.Can anyone actually explain the plot of this film?
    Dan Same wrote:
    Jimmy Bond wrote:

See, yet more evidence that TLD is overrated. :D

Dan I am on your side on that one, TLD is not as good as people make it, on a topic I started, I said TLD was terrible, turns out, 1 mod and 3 members reacted violently! :p I hate TLD and Dalton, no offense, fans of him.
    How come? I always regarded Dalton as the precursor to Bronsnan's Bond. In another sense, I enclose Dalton and Brosnan's Bond as the same, only suaver on Brosnan's part. They played Ian Fleming's Bond for me, only Brosnan was closer to Connery's sensibility at times. Although Connery deviated from Fleming's portrayal quite a bit - the dark humor was all his!
    I love Brosnan and Connery, and hate Dalton, a lot. We disagree on everything! (NSNA. Dalton.)