Last Book You Have Read

one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
I figured since there is a "Last Film You've Seen" thread, we could have one about books. We all just write in the last book or books we have read (including Bond ones) and mention if we liked them.

The last book I read was The Killer Angels by Micheal Shaara. It is about the battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War. It was an excellent, well-written book that takes you back to the battle that was the turning point in the war. I think everyone should read this book. It is preceeded by Gods And Generals and followed by The Last Full Measure which were written by Jeff Shaara, Micheal's son.

Comments

• Stromberg1Stromberg1 Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    The Lord of the Rings books were very good indeed, but they had just a little too much detail.

The last book I've read is Dragon Tears by Dean Koontz, not his best, but still a great read with enjoyable characters.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Lord Of The Rings taught me to read. The Hobbit and Fellowship were some of the very first books I ever read as a kid.

Last book I read was The Savage Tales Of Solomon Kane by Robert E. Howard. Correction, I reread, since this is a beautifully illustrated package.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    edited July 2004
    The Last book I read was Kinky Friedman's Elvis, Jesus and Coca-Cola

however I am now engrossed in two other books - Elmore Leonard's - Rum Punch ( The original novel Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown is based on), and John Gardner's Licence Renewed - again. :)
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    The Last Book I read was the Script to Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom :S but the last actual book I read was The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, but my mind was endorsed by the movie
    Quoting scaramanga1:
    That sounds interesting. :)
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I'm currently reading Skin Tight by Carl Hiaassen. I find him absolutely hilarious -- I get more stares on airplanes because I am always guffawing. I'm wondering what Floridians like Alex think of his eco-satires?
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting scaramanga1:
    That sounds interesting. :)

It was an interesting tale - Here is a link that has reviews by readers -and well they are all pretty clear as to how they enjoyed this quirky author/song writer/ and cat lover's tale! ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0571171923/qid=1090931221/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl/202-3228413-9128642
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,278MI6 Agent
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller.

It's about a woman teacher who has an affair with a pupil, as told by the teacher's spinsterish work colleague who turns out to be an unreliable narrator, ie you don't really trust her version of events.

It's a page turner but cops out a bit at the end. Good in terms of who do you trust, very topical in the wake of the UK Hutton and Butler report in a way.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Quoting scaramanga1:
    John Gardner's Licence Renewed - again. :)

Funny that, Gardner's Licence Renewed is the last book I read (just finished it last night.) And I have to say it was absolutely brilliant, imaginative, tense, thrilling, with plenty of memorable characters and much of it takes place in Scotland which is a quality in itself. ;) Indeed, it has only driven me to continue on reading my omnibus edition of Licence Renewed, For Special Services and Icebreaker (I did own FSS but never read it with it being a tatty old library copy.) Above all, while being elegantly written with some inspired prose, it was highly enjoyable and engaging, and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Before Licence Renewed, I re-read Bill Bryson's hilarious book Down Under, one of the most entertaining bboks I've read.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    The last book I completed just this month was Hornet Flight by Ken Follet. I liked it. It's a story about a Norwegian school boy (a high school senior) who's forced to make decisions about the state of his country in its cooperation with Nazi Germany. I like Follet's WWII novels, but I noticed that this book and the one before that (Jackdaws) featured as the main character non-conventional hero types (A female british agent is the hero of Jackdaws).

I am currently reading Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit, a flashback of the Jack Ryan character while the cold war was still hot. The only "Jack Ryan/John Clark" book I haven't read is the most recent one, Teeth of the Tiger; I've also read Red Storm Rising. I like Clancy's novels because of the fantastic plot elements that involve conflicts between nations that we wouldn't consider today as enemies of the United States, such as India and Japan; as well as Clancy wish fulfillments such as war with the USSR and the Peoples Republic of China. I also like the action. But nowadays, I am growing tired of the minutiae of these books, if not in technobabble, then in the overdone mental reflections the characters make, instead of just limiting these to a few for the sake of character development. The problem for me is that I'm hooked to Clancy's Ryan/Clark books and you have to read through the fluff in order to extract the kernels.

I hope that I don't sound like a commie, but I also think that Clancy instilled too much bourgious, yuppie 80's ideals into his main charcters. His hero is not an everyman. At least with Bond, though an eccentric hedonist and having a flair of being pampered, is a character who has flaws and a vulnerablity we can identify with. However, not only is Jack Ryan an intelligent CIA analyst, but he is a Wall Street millionaire married to one of the world's best eye surgeons! His best friend who was a navy pilot becomes an admiral. Ryan himself by a freak astronomically improbable national accident becomes... However, these aren't enough to stop me from reading these significant chunks of one's life (try finishing the Bear and the Dragon, and you'll see what I mean by this).
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Quoting Lazenby880:
    Quoting Lazenby880:
    Quoting scaramanga1:
    John Gardner's Licence Renewed - again. :)

Funny that, Gardner's Licence Renewed is the last book I read (just finished it last night.) And I have to say it was absolutely brilliant, imaginative, tense, thrilling, with plenty of memorable characters and much of it takes place in Scotland which is a quality in itself. ;) Indeed, it has only driven me to continue on reading my omnibus edition of Licence Renewed, For Special Services and Icebreaker (I did own FSS but never read it with it being a tatty old library copy.) Above all, while being elegantly written with some inspired prose, it was highly enjoyable and engaging, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

I've found this grand little shop that has a small collection of the Gardners and in hardcover. (yes) As a person who hasn't terribly read a lot of JG, which do you recommend first?

No More Deals Mr. Bond
    Icebreaker
    For Special Services

Sir Hillary, Hiasson's from Miami so what do you expect? ;) Seriously I've heard his satire is really hilarious, I've got to try him out. After SC1's "kinky" books that is. :)
  • Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Quoting superado:

I am currently reading Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit, a flashback of the Jack Ryan character while the cold war was still hot. The only "Jack Ryan/John Clark" book I haven't read is the most recent one, Teeth of the Tiger; I've also read Red Storm Rising. I like Clancy's novels because of the fantastic plot elements that involve conflicts between nations that we wouldn't consider today as enemies of the United States, such as India and Japan; as well as Clancy wish fulfillments such as war with the USSR and the Peoples Republic of China. I also like the action. But nowadays, I am growing tired of the minutiae of these books, if not in technobabble, then in the overdone mental reflections the characters make, instead of just limiting these to a few for the sake of character development. The problem for me is that I'm hooked to Clancy's Ryan/Clark books and you have to read through the fluff in order to extract the kernels.

I hope that I don't sound like a commie, but I also think that Clancy instilled too much bourgious, yuppie 80's ideals into his main charcters.

The last book I read was Tom Clancy's The Teeth of the Tiger. I read that immediately after reading Red Rabbit, which I consider to be the best Clancy I have read so far. And I found The Teeth of the Tiger to be a disappointment in comparison.

I read up to page 90 of Debt of Honour, the only Clancy I've yet to read. That was two months back. I agree with you, Superado, I also get very bored with all the techno and military babble in his books and that's why I've stalled with this one.

On your last point, I think that Tom Clancy's own conservative, right-wing and militaristic views soon become apparent when reading his novels. In this sense, Clancy can be compared to Frederick Forsyth, as The Fourth Protocol is quite a clear reflection of the author's own right-wing views.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Quoting Alex:

I've found this grand little shop that has a small collection of the Gardners and in hardcover. (yes) As a person who hasn't terribly read a lot of JG, which do you recommend first?

No More Deals Mr. Bond
    Icebreaker
    For Special Services

You are very lucky Alex, as finding any Bond book other than the most popular Fleming titles is quite difficult here. As for Gardner, well I am just discovering the magic of his novels for myself, and look forward to getting started on For Special Services tonight. However, general consensus seems to be that Gardner's best is either FSS or Icebreaker, though someone may wish to correct me.

Someone with more experience of Gardner's work may be able to help you better, however as jetsetwilly eloquently explained in the literature forum it seems that most think you should probably avoid The Man With Barbarossa, even though Gardner considers it his best work himself.

Personally, I'm just hoping FSS and IB live up to the very high standard set by Licence Renewed, and will then try to get my hands on his other novels.
  • tirpitztirpitz Posts: 339MI6 Agent
    I guess what I read is nothing compared to what you guys just stated. The last piece of literature I read that is.

The BFG, by Roald Dahl. The 3rd book I read in my life, I rediscovered it at a bookstore. Just plain funny!

The last book? Don't laugh.

From Normandy to the Ruhr: With the 116th Panzer Division during WWII.

OK, I was really bored and it was in the library. It did give me an interesting perspective of a unit that struck fear into many Allied soldiers.
  • RoebuckRoebuck UKPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    Just finished 'Temple of Dawn', third part of Mishima's 'Sea of Fertility' cycle. Honda, the main character, spends his life in an obsessive hunt for the reincarnation of his boyhood friend. Sometimes gets lost in it's own pretensions but it's an entertaining tale with some wryly humorous observations about the changing culture of Japan in the 20th Century.

Next up will probably be one of Lee Child's 'Jack Reacher' thrillers.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    The last book I finished was a re-reading of Screening Party, by Dennis Hensley, which has me in hysterics every time. The last novel I read was Dr No, which depressed the heck out of me, as I realised my fanfic would never compare! The last new book I read was Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre, which lurched from being entertaining to trite, sometimes within the same sentence. Not bad but overrated.

I just started The Long Firm by Jake Arnott, as I have watched a couple of episodes of the TV series based on it and I'm hooked - I'm one chapter in and it already seems even better - such a rich and interesting world.

(I have a 30 minute train journey to and from work every day; as a result I read a lot!)
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,582Chief of Staff
    edited July 2004
    The last book I read was The Politics Of James Bond by Jeremy Black - and I'm halfway through James Bond's London by Gary Giblin.
    YNWA 97
  • mudfanmudfan Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    Last book: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

Besides the advanced anatomy/physiology I'm doing for my degree, I'm currently in the middle of Harpy Thyme, the 17th Xanth novel by Piers Anthony. I am also in the middle of The Vile Village, 7th in A Series of Ufortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (yes, it's a childrens book).

I just purchased The Hitchhikers Guide series, by Douglas Adams. I'm probably the only person in the Universe who hasn't read it yet. I'll get to it eventually. I have a big stack just waiting for me to find time. I need to go through the 5th Harry Potter once again too.

So many books and so little time! {[]
    Quoting Lazenby880:
    Quoting Lazenby880:
    Quoting Alex:

No More Deals Mr. Bond
    Icebreaker
    For Special Services

You are very lucky Alex, as finding any Bond book other than the most popular Fleming titles is quite difficult here. As for Gardner, well I am just discovering the magic of his novels for myself, and look forward to getting started on For Special Services tonight. However, general consensus seems to be that Gardner's best is either FSS or Icebreaker, though someone may wish to correct me.

Someone with more experience of Gardner's work may be able to help you better, however as jetsetwilly eloquently explained in the literature forum it seems that most think you should probably avoid The Man With Barbarossa, even though Gardner considers it his best work himself.

Personally, I'm just hoping FSS and IB live up to the very high standard set by Licence Renewed, and will then try to get my hands on his other novels.

Thanks Lazenby, no problem, only way to solve is purchase all three. Although there's a good chance I'll be eating nothing but leftovers this week. I've heard FSS is regarded highly here, even though I was put off by another board, I think this one just might know a little more when it comes to, oh say, James Bond? ;)

Looking forward to padding the shelf.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    fss is reasonable alex but i always thought that icebreaker was a bit of a poorly plotted stinker with an overly complicated plot and gardners annoying habit of having characters switch sides and double and triple crosses at its worst here...he also puts bond in an oscar jacobsen tie something he would never wear...an example of gardner trying to get the fleming luxury brands in but failing to get them right
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Lazenby880:
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Lazenby880:
    Quoting Alex:

No More Deals Mr. Bond
    Icebreaker
    For Special Services

Thanks Lazenby, no problem, only way to solve is purchase all three. Although there's a good chance I'll be eating nothing but leftovers this week. I've heard FSS is regarded highly here, even though I was put off by another board, I think this one just might know a little more when it comes to, oh say, James Bond? ;)

Looking forward to padding the shelf.

If you both liked Licence Renewed then I think you'll each enjoy For Special Services.It moves quickly and in this story Gardner addresses some elements of 007's past.And if you can find them,by all means check out Gardner's Boysie Oakes novels(The Liquidator,Amber Nine,etc.).These are parodies of the Bond series done with considerable flair.IMO anyway.;)
  • MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    I read mostly non-fiction (due to my work), so there's very little left nowdays for fiction reading. Still, I have managed to complete two books in the past 6 months.

"The Haunted Hotel" by Wilkie Collins, which is an early whodunit, originally published in 1879. It was readable, but not necessarily recommendable.

The other book is "Hottentot Venus" by Barbara Chase-Ribaud, published this year. It's based on the true and tragic story about Sarah Baartman, a native of South Africa, who was showcased in various freak-show-type exhibitions in England during the 19th century.

---
    jfm
  • SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    I currently am reading One Her Majesty's Secret Service and Dan Brown's Deception Point. Both very good.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Quoting tirpitz:
    The last book? Don't laugh.

From Normandy to the Ruhr: With the 116th Panzer Division during WWII.

OK, I was really bored and it was in the library. It did give me an interesting perspective of a unit that struck fear into many Allied soldiers.

I have quite a small pile of WWII reference books, which includes an old Ballentine digest on Waffen SS divisions and another one on SS Armor. I've never really read any of these from cover to cover because the often fascinating photos of WWII subjects always get me off track, and I like skipping over to specific portions of these books for whatever is intriguing me at that point in time.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    I'm halfway through James Bond's London by Gary Giblin.

I tried to find this book while I was in the UK, and nobody had it! Not even the ever reliable Foyles in London!!

The last book I read was "Marilyn-The Last Take". A really great read too! It sheds some new light on her ill fated last film "Something's Got To Give" co-starring Dean Martin. It's a shame the studios treated her like dirt towards her final days. I would have loved to seen the footage that was completed (and has since mysteriously disappeared) of Something's Got To Give!
    The book also talks a bit about the ill-fated "Cleopatra" (one of my favorite films!) and the behind the scenes drama of it's star, Elizabeth Taylor (who was never more gorgeous than she was in this film!)
    I would recommend this book highly!

I'm also currently reading the wonderful James Bond serial novel by our own jetsetwilly called "While England's Dreaming" (GREAT STUFF!!!)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,582Chief of Staff
    Quoting NAOMI_FAN 1:
    I tried to find this book while I was in the UK, and nobody had it! Not even the ever reliable Foyles in London!!

Try www.spyguise.com or www.bondbooks.biz both should have this book.
    YNWA 97
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the info Sir Miles! Very much appreciated!! -{
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I guess you can call me a chain-reader, since as soon as I finish one book I pick up another. The last book I finished was Glen David Gold's novel, Carter Beats the Devil, which I found to be over-rated and over-hyped; and I'm currently (and by coincidence) reading another novel with "devil" in the title, Wilbur Smith's Shout at the Devil, which is quite a corker. On the bookshelf waiting to be read are Anthony Trollope's The Last Chronicle of Barset, An Honest President: The Life and Presidencies of Grover Cleveland, and A. N. Wilson's The Victorians. Those'll keep me going until next week. . . :))
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Last one I finished a week ago was a witty , informative Novel called 'Making History' by Stephen Fry (British Writer/Comedian/Director).

It was about a Phd student, his lovelife, his project and meeting up with a Professor to possibly change the course of histiry by use of a PC. Very well written and observed.

I tend to enjoy reading novels written by 'ex' comedians, eg Ben Elton, Hugh Laurie, David Baddiel.
  • one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    I was reading The Great Gatsby a little earlier this month and I got nothing out of it. The plot seemed weak and it was a waste of my time.

Currently I am reading Live And Let Die and will probably read the Jason Bourne novels afterwards.