Would Idris Elba work as James Bond if they definitively answered....

JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
edited October 2012 in General James Bond Chat
The James Bond as a code-name proposal? Think about it. There's nothing tying the current OO7 series back to the one where Tracy Bond was murdered and where Pierce Brosnan uttered the same family motto that was shown in George Lazenby's one-shot debut. Sure, they did some homages to the older James Bond movies in Quantum of Solace, but those can be looked at, as sort of---visual mythology gags.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MythologyGag

They could possibly run with the idea that Daniel Craig is the real James Bond in the current continuity and go with the code-name concept that Idris Elba is Craig's successor in code-name only.
"Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

• WordsAndDreamsWordsAndDreams Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    I doubt this will happen (though theoretically possible), and I think most people would rather it just be the same person. I think Bond would essentially become a "superhero" at that point, where anyone could "put on the cowl" which I don't think the producers want. Also, as much as I like Idris, he'll be too old by the time Craig is done. And I don't know if I'm making this up, but hasn't he said that he doesn't want to be Bond?
  • JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    edited October 2012
    I doubt this will happen (though theoretically possible), and I think most people would rather it just be the same person. I think Bond would essentially become a "superhero" at that point, where anyone could "put on the cowl" which I don't think the producers want. Also, as much as I like Idris, he'll be too old by the time Craig is done. And I don't know if I'm making this up, but hasn't he said that he doesn't want to be Bond?

Hmm, I guess I could see Idris Elba succeeding Jeffrey Wright if they can't get Jeffrey Wright to come back. Or Elba could be an entirely new character who's either an antagonistic rival to Bond or Leiter. I say "or," because Elba can't be in both the CIA and MI6.
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
  • WordsAndDreamsWordsAndDreams Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    I think he could definitely be a future Felix, especially since they can be a little looser with Leiter's interpretation. Considering he's played plenty of Americans, it's certainly possible. Like I said, I really like him, so I'd like him to be in a Bond movie somehow, but it just doesn't seem like Bond would be a good fit at this point. I suppose a villain or henchman would work too. He's able to play a fairly intimidating person, so he could be a good physical opponent/equal (like Red Grant) for Bond.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Who?

Um, no. For all the consternation about Daniel Craig as James Bond, this guy has even less of a Bond vibe about himself. It's just an attempt to get him some free publicity while Skyfall ramps up to being the major fall season movie runaway hit.
  • JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Who?

Um, no. For all the consternation about Daniel Craig as James Bond, this guy has even less of a Bond vibe about himself. It's just an attempt to get him some free publicity while Skyfall ramps up to being the major fall season movie runaway hit.

I'm not saying that I want a black guy like Idris Elba as James Bond, but if the producers did cast a black actor; I'd rather see the producers treat James Bond as a code-name from then on. Because you can't tell me that James Bond can go from being a white guy, to a black guy, and then back to a white guy and still be able to pass him off as the same character because it doesn't work that way.

Anyway if Idris Elba was a Quantum underling, or a MI6 contact who can take care of himself, that would be great.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Stop already!!! (although I think Idris Elba would be a terrific and formidable Bond villain)
    The James Bond as a code-name proposal? Think about it. There's nothing tying the current OO7 series back to the one where Tracy Bond was murdered and where Pierce Brosnan uttered the same family motto that was shown in George Lazenby's one-shot debut. Sure, they did some homages to the older James Bond movies in Quantum of Solace, but those can be looked at, as sort of---visual mythology gags.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MythologyGag

They could possibly run with the idea that Daniel Craig is the real James Bond in the current continuity and go with the code-name concept that Idris Elba is Craig's successor in code-name only.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Agent007jamestAgent007jamest usaPosts: 163MI6 Agent
    Boy and people complained about a blond haired Bond :)) one thing I can guarantee is that the press won't jump all over the "he doesn't look like Bond thing" the way they did with DC :D
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    could we please leave this stupid 'idris elba for bond' argument alone?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    No,no,no,no,no,no.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

+1

And btw, Elba is 40 today and Craig is 44.
    If they look for a new Bond actor, they'll certainly look for a younger bloke and maybe someone "whiter" ;)

As much as I liked him in Luther, he looks older than Craig imo - maybe he'll be a decent villain or Felix.

All these Elba for Bond threads border to trolling btw.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Agent007jamestAgent007jamest usaPosts: 163MI6 Agent
    seriously I think the reason he was speaking to BB was for the part of felix. Its well known that the actor who played him in the previous 2 films is now making the next 2 parts of the hunger games. I am sure they are starting to put the pieces together for 24 and not worried about who will be the next OO7 when that is at least 4-6 years out
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Idris Elba is one of the best actors out there today. Even in crap movies or small roles this guy brings his A game. He's great in Luther and in Prometheus. I just read that he tested or met with the producers about playing Bond. But he wanted to be Bond not just the black Bond which is what most would see him as. Also, it would get into the whole Bond as code name which I think is bad. In many ways it's like having a black Superman or Batman. It's possible but why? If Idris Elba played Bond he should do a one or two part stand alone series. Then let them reboot it. But that won't happen. But Idris Elba could easily pull the role of Bond off. It would be different. But I'm sure far better than the worst films in the series.
    "Better late than never."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Who?

I'm not saying that I want a black guy like Idris Elba as James Bond, but if the producers did cast a black actor; I'd rather see the producers treat James Bond as a code-name from then on. Because you can't tell me that James Bond can go from being a white guy, to a black guy, and then back to a white guy and still be able to pass him off as the same character because it doesn't work that way.

Anyway if Idris Elba was a Quantum underling, or a MI6 contact who can take care of himself, that would be great.
    I wouldn't care if they cast a black actor as Bond, but this guy just doesn't seem to have what it takes. He looks to me like a cross between P. Diddy and Eddie Murphy. Get someone who looks more like Sidney Poitier in his prime and you might have a candidate.
    I agree that Elba certainly has the talent to pull it off. But as you mentioned, it wouldn't work unless the producers decided to reboot the series again. And like you, I think the whole "James Bond as a code name" scheme is a bad idea.
    SilentSpy wrote:
    Idris Elba is one of the best actors out there today. Even in crap movies or small roles this guy brings his A game. He's great in Luther and in Prometheus. I just read that he tested or met with the producers about playing Bond. But he wanted to be Bond not just the black Bond which is what most would see him as. Also, it would get into the whole Bond as code name which I think is bad. In many ways it's like having a black Superman or Batman. It's possible but why? If Idris Elba played Bond he should do a one or two part stand alone series. Then let them reboot it. But that won't happen. But Idris Elba could easily pull the role of Bond off. It would be different. But I'm sure far better than the worst films in the series.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    It's ok , we get this crap every couple of years, Will smith, P diddy etc now it's Elba's turn.
    In Skyfall we actually see Andrew Bond's grave. I don't think Andrew Bond in a remote scottish highland was black
    Yeah, right. Will Smith, P. Diddy, Idris Elba.......one Black guy is just like every other one, right? 8-)
    A7ce wrote:
    It's ok , we get this crap every couple of years, Will smith, P diddy etc now it's Elba's turn.
    In Skyfall we actually see Andrew Bond's grave. I don't think Andrew Bond in a remote scottish highland was black
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

I have to agree with this. We had a topic on this already (started on 9/30/12):

http://ajb007.co.uk/topic/39116/idris-elba-for-bond/
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Yeah, right. Will Smith, P. Diddy, Idris Elba.......one Black guy is just like every other one, right? 8-)
    A7ce wrote:

What u on about??
    I'm talking about those names specifically as they have been reported in the past and discussed as possible bonds. See separate threads. They may be good in their own respective fields if u think so but would be **** as Bond.
    Maybe I'm just a bit out of touch, but I have never seen a serious suggestion that P. Diddy or Will Smith should be considered for Bond (although I seem to recall P. Diddy touting himself as a possibility once or twice). And although I would not be in favor of Elba as Bond for reasons I have explained in other posts, most of the fans that have suggested him have done so because he is (1) a fine actor, (2) suave, handsome ad physical enough for the role, and (3) British. My impression from reading you post was that you were just tossing his name in the generic pot called "Black guys", and then just dismissing him out of hand. My apologies if that was not your intention.
    A7ce wrote:
    A7ce wrote:

What u on about??
    I'm talking about those names specifically as they have been reported in the past and discussed as possible bonds. See separate threads. They may be good in their own respective fields if u think so but would be **** as Bond.
    As far as I can recall I think we have discussed Will Smith and P diddy by name, regardless if they have been officially touted or the press speculating just as they are doing now becuase of something Naomi Harris said. Yes that subtle P diddy video which was his Bond audition.
    A7ce wrote:
    As far as I can recall I think we have discussed Will Smith and P diddy by name
    Yes, but was there really a serious discussion about either Smith or Mr. Diddy? (Did I just say "Mr. Diddy" ? - Sorry! :)) )
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    All I know is Idris Elba said Connery is his favorite Bond. He gets my vote.
    "Better late than never."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    James Bond is not a code name. 007 is the code name. Simple as that.

As for this irritating "This actor / model / cousin of a chap at the gym, could be Bond" Routine? -

Daniel Craig IS James Bond.

Thank you, and Good NIGHT! 8-)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    :007)
    SilentSpy wrote:
    All I know is Idris Elba said Connery is his favorite Bond. He gets my vote.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    If they took him back to his Scottish roots, here's what he'd be drinking:

298Black-Grouse-bottle.jpg
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    Why is this guy even a talking point? I cannot see ANYTHING bond about him :s
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Handsome? Suave? Athletic? British? I'd say there are quite a few things "Bond about him".
    Jarvio wrote:
    Why is this guy even a talking point? I cannot see ANYTHING bond about him :s
  • LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
    I can't see him being Bond at all. Aside from the fact that I don't think James Bond should ever be black - that's not a racist point of view, I'd feel the same way if they tried to make John Shaft white. It would just be a PC exercise, but not everyone is brave enough to say it.

However, for the purpose of this discussion, if it was the case then it would have to be Colin Salmon for me, he would be perfect.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    But he's not Adrian Lester B-)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
    haha - and a good job too!