Tom Ford Stirrup trousers alternative? :/

MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
I've been trying to find a good alternative for these trousers with no luck as for now unfortunately :/ I really like the idea of putting thick, wool socks over the trousers in heavy snow but my regular jeans just pop out when I sit down, so I would definitely need stirrup trousers for this just like Bond did. If anyone has found any decent alternatives I would really appreciate the help - hopefully Indy will create his version also! -{ Just in case someone doesn't know what I'm talking about:

james-bond-spectre-danner.jpg?w=1024

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    French connection have some on sale, called wool luxe trousers, they are black, have an elasticated hem and even have the same style button flap pockets. Last I looked they were £29 reduced from £120.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    I have no idea what size you are, but I saw these vintage German ski pants:
    http://www.swisslink.com/products/pants_shorts/german_ski_pants-49-1453/
    Atom2075253.jpg

I'm sure there is lots of 1940's to 1960's vintage stuff around on Ebay, etc.

The other ones I saw were these from Public School; they had the pleats and the stirrup. Seem to be sold out everywhere on line, but maybe they are still in some stores?
    http://www.barneys.com/public-school-gabardine-pleated-stirrup-pants-503263581.html

503263581_model_1?$pdp_flexH$

Another member here, Bond H. Bond, mentioned some that he got at Uniqlo for $25.00 and he added the stirrup elastic in this thread:
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/47064/tom-ford-solden-pants-alternatives/

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-lemaire-wool-blended-cashmere-relaxed-pants-164786.html#69~/men/featured/uniqlo-and-lemaire/pants/~
    They're out of stock now but it may be worth checking stores.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys! The german ski pants are the closest in my opinion but I need a large/x-large probably :/ Definitely not medium, shame but I think I found similar pants in a Polish store for a similar price, they're called retro bundeswehr pants - so thank you for your help, the largest they have are for a 186cm guy (I'm 192) so I'm not sure whether I should give it a shot or not.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:
    Thanks guys! The german ski pants are the closest in my opinion but I need a large/x-large probably :/ Definitely not medium, shame but I think I found similar pants in a Polish store for a similar price, they're called retro bundeswehr pants - so thank you for your help, the largest they have are for a 186cm guy (I'm 192) so I'm not sure whether I should give it a shot or not.

It really depends on the length of your legs. Being 192 doesn't mean anything if you have considerably shorter/longer legs. Best thing to do is measure your inseam and ask them to measure the inseam of the trousers. Who knows, maybe the size is spot on. Good luck!
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Peppermill wrote:
    MrZareba wrote:

It really depends on the length of your legs. Being 192 doesn't mean anything if you have considerably shorter/longer legs. Best thing to do is measure your inseam and ask them to measure the inseam of the trousers. Who knows, maybe the size is spot on. Good luck!

Thank you! I have pretty long lengs, can't remember my inseam but I will ask them about the lenght, sure :)
    These seem to be a very good alternative, sadly not in my size (just a few cm to short! :<) but maybe one of you will be intersted. Especially that these are navy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-WWII-GERMAN-AUSTRIA-SKIJAGER-GEBIRGSJAGER-FIELD-DARK-BLUE-TROUSERS-PANTS-/391366633110?hash=item5b1f44e696:g:KuYAAOSwKtlWm92W
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Useless post but on topic.... can someone explain what exactly is the advantage\uniqueness of these pants? Is there anything special about them other than the foot that a pair of dress pants from TJ Maxx\Ross don't have? Not saying they are ugly or bad but can someone explain?

Or is it just the foothole? Because you look at the Quantum Harrington or Cardigan, or the Y3 or Barbour or Levis jacket (even the floral shirt) and you can just tell they're unique and interesting and you'd love to wear them. But the unique part of these pants are hidden under your shoes in a sense.

Can please someone explain\convince me why they're so awesome? Average male with barely any fashion sense.

Thank you!
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Useless post but on topic.... can someone explain what exactly is the advantage\uniqueness of these pants? Is there anything special about them other than the foot that a pair of dress pants from TJ Maxx\Ross don't have? Not saying they are ugly or bad but can someone explain?

Or is it just the foothole? Because you look at the Quantum Harrington or Cardigan, or the Y3 or Barbour or Levis jacket (even the floral shirt) and you can just tell they're unique and interesting and you'd love to wear them. But the unique part of these pants are hidden under your shoes in a sense.

Can please someone explain\convince me why they're so awesome? Average male with barely any fashion sense.

Thank you!

Other than the fact that James Bond wore them and they're Tom Ford? :D

Honestly (and this is just my opinion), I think they will obviously be a much heavier wool or wool blend fabric than normal wool dress pants (they are meant to be ski pants) and more than likely very high quality. Like you said, the stirrups are hidden, but they would add a lot to maintaining the shape of the pants through a lot of movement. The details up top (pleats, flap pockets) give them a retro/vintage look (I think they were based on French military ski pants from the 1940's), which some would find very stylish.

Personally, I wouldn't wear them; aside from the fact that I live about 3000 miles away from any snow, they're just not a style I like. But for someone looking for a "different" type of ski pant, I could see the appeal.

Just my two cents ... {[]
    I would most certainly wear them and not only the French were wearing them back in the day - a lot of armies between the 40' and 70' used these as military ski pants - so they definitely have a retro feel. The big advantage of these is that in heavy snow (which in Poland happens) you don't have to worry about any water going inside your shoe, which sucks - but they're elegant enough to wear them to work for instance, contrary to standard modern ski pants -{
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:

Thank you!

Other than the fact that James Bond wore them and they're Tom Ford? :D

Honestly (and this is just my opinion), I think they will obviously be a much heavier wool or wool blend fabric than normal wool dress pants (they are meant to be ski pants) and more than likely very high quality. Like you said, the stirrups are hidden, but they would add a lot to maintaining the shape of the pants through a lot of movement. The details up top (pleats, flap pockets) give them a retro/vintage look (I think they were based on French military ski pants from the 1940's), which some would find very stylish.

Personally, I wouldn't wear them; aside from the fact that I live about 3000 miles away from any snow, they're just not a style I like. But for someone looking for a "different" type of ski pant, I could see the appeal.

Just my two cents ... {[]
    MrZareba wrote:
    I would most certainly wear them and not only the French were wearing them back in the day - a lot of armies between the 40' and 70' used these as military ski pants - so they definitely have a retro feel. The big advantage of these is that in heavy snow (which in Poland happens) you don't have to worry about any water going inside your shoe, which sucks - but they're elegant enough to wear them to work for instance, contrary to standard modern ski pants -{

Thank you very much for the good replies to the lame question. Much appreciated!

Seriously, though, "James Bond wore them and they're Tom Ford" is just pure inexplicable truth.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I bought the Tom Fords (and returned them)

Firstly they are very high quality and very heavy material also!! However they are not really something I would wear unless going out in the snow and the style? Well they "bloomed out" a bit too much for my liking so no chance of getting away with wearing them for anything else apart from ski activity.

The price was crazy so I ended up returning it in exchange for other TF stuff that I would actually wear.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I bought the Tom Fords (and returned them)

Firstly they are very high quality and very heavy material also!! However they are not really something I would wear unless going out in the snow and the style? Well they "bloomed out" a bit too much for my liking so no chance of getting away with wearing them for anything else apart from ski activity.

The price was crazy so I ended up returning it in exchange for other TF stuff that I would actually wear.

A thousand pounds is way too much for these, absolutely - I would wear them because it's freaking cold in Poland right now and there is some snow so it would fit the picture. Hopefully there is a chance Magnoli will create his own version, the only thing really that makes the Tom Ford's version different is the cut - they're tappered so they look pretty nice, the standard military model has a standard cut which means you will have to big bags hanging over your socks :< Will I decide to buy the military ones once I find them in my size I will give them to my tailor right away.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Moncler did have a nice more fitted pair but think sold out at the time quite quickly
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Moncler did have a nice more fitted pair but think sold out at the time quite quickly

Still too expensive for me... The military ones are usually around 10 quid. -{