Upcoming Auction and the DAD Blue Shirt

Firstly, let me say that I have no connection or insight into this collection whatsoever. The video in the attached link popped up on my Facebook account for some reason.

Anyway, check the attached link and be sure to watch the video for a big auction of Bond memorobilia coming up in September...

http://www.astonsauctioneers.co.uk/news

It includes an apparently real DAD blue tropical shirt in a frame. The video shows it framed and includes the manufacturer tag in the collar... For those technically minded (and interested enough...) it may be possible to either read or recognise this tag...

Comments

• Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    It's "Brioni" right?
    From the black and white letters, it's time appropriate for Die Another Day.
    Probably made bespoke or part of their 01/02 collection.
    EDIT: The base price for a floral shirt from Brioni (according to eBay) is 450 bucks. Yikes.
    A "sport shirt" (which is more or less the same thing) costs 995 bucks from Neiman Marcus. YIiiKES!
    but then again it's Brioni, so...
    a reasonable rate of return
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    It's "Brioni" right?
    EDIT: The base price for a floral shirt from Brioni (according to eBay) is 450 bucks. Yikes.
    A "sport shirt" (which is more or less the same thing) costs 995 bucks from Neiman Marcus. YIiiKES!

This is the best screencap I can get, but there's little doubt it's Brioni. Good call!
    DAD-Brioni-Label.jpg
    canoe2 wrote:
    It's "Brioni" right?
    This is the best screencap I can get, but there's little doubt it's Brioni. Good call!
    DAD-Brioni-Label.jpg
    I didn't even...(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)...take a screencap.
    Been browsing Brioni shirts on eBay recently and I have their tag printed on my mind, so no wonder I managed to catch it.
    What does (1) mean, though? Is it present on other Die Another Day auctioned shirts?
    A truly beautiful and unique piece.
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    Nice work guys!! :007)
    If the shirts were custom made for the film, maybe its the article number since they probably would have made multiples. Like "shirt 1 of 10" or something. Just a guess. I've never seen a Brioni with that circle before and I don't think it's from a sub-line.
    edited July 2017
    canoe2 wrote:
    If the shirts were custom made for the film, maybe its the article number since they probably would have made multiples. Like "shirt 1 of 10" or something. Just a guess. I've never seen a Brioni with that circle before and I don't think it's from a sub-line.
    Or maybe if Brosnan sweated one out on location, they'd change shirts. Like Roger did during filming in India in Octopussy or Cristopher Lee in his polyester white suit in the far-eastern heat.
    canoe2 wrote:
    Or maybe if Brosnan sweated one out in the location, they'd change shirts. Like Roger did during filming in India in Octopussy or Cristopher Lee in his polyester white suit in the far-eastern heat.

Exactly. I don't think that circle is part of the original label. Maybe a stamp or it's handwritten. Just a way to track multiple copies of the same garment, like you suggest.

By the way, I managed to pick up a little Brioni of my own during my travels last month:20170618_091604.jpg
    edited July 2017
    canoe2 wrote:
    By the way, I managed to pick up a little Brioni of my own during my travels last month:20170618_091604.jpg
    Beautiful.
    I had just ordered a herringbone, off-white, french cuff shirt for me, over eBay.
    Not sure about the placement of the cufflink in the middle of the cuff but it will just be something to get around of.
    The next shirt I will buy will probably be in the same style as yours but in light blue.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    After all there years we finally know the manufacturer of the DAD Aloha shirt. Unreal.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Cant say ive paid much attention but thought we always knew it was Brioni lol?
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Cant say ive paid much attention but thought we always knew it was Brioni lol?

We've known the dress shirts were Brioni, I believe. The blue flowered shirt wasn't identified as far as I know. No mention of Brioni as the manufacturer on Jamesbondlifestyle, BAMFstyle, or Matt's blog. Certainly that sartorial choice was derided by many at the time and since. Many thought it was a shopping mall brand like the Alfani shirt in CR.
    Bizarre. I assumed it was Brioni anyhow for some reason, assumed I read it
    welshboy78 wrote:

You should have been scouring ebay over the years. They must have turned up back in the day.

Makes sense for it to have been Brioni along with all the other shirts.
    Never really interested in it as not my thing lol

CR one is prob my one off flower shirt :D
    welshboy78 wrote:

You should have been scouring ebay over the years. They must have turned up back in the day.

Makes sense for it to have been Brioni along with all the other shirts.
    Makes me sad that some items are in someone's closet without them knowing the significance of that article of clothing to other people.
    Oh well, c'est la vie.
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Amazing work gentlemen! {[] this is truely a great find. Makes the pants likely Brioni as well I suppose. So, now the question is: who has a contact at Brioni who can negotiate a rerelease :D
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
    Amazing work gentlemen! {[] this is truely a great find. Makes the pants likely Brioni as well I suppose. So, now the question is: who has a contact at Brioni who can negotiate a rerelease :D

The actual question is: who will buy the thing at auction and see about having replicas made? :)) :D
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent

The actual question is: who will buy the thing at auction and see about having replicas made? :)) :D

:)) now you're talkin'! I do always wonder who these people are that buy these auction items because we never seem to hear about it from members here on AJB.
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
    One year later and the shirt surfaces again. Anyone with a spare couple thousand pounds who wants to purchase this and get copies made?

https://propstore.com/product/james-bond-die-another-day/lot-268-live-auction-2018-james-bonds-pierce-brosnan-floral-shirt/

DAD_Shirt_Front.jpg

DAD_Shirt_Back.jpg

DAD_Shirt_Front_Comparison.jpg

DAD_Shirt_Back_Comparison.jpg
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    Im pretty sure this was New info, was to me anyway! A reissue would be awesome!

I took a punt and contacted them...
    sruzgar wrote:

Simon, I had the chance to buy one a year ago and regretfully didn't. The original shirt is actually long-sleeved and must have been altered by the costume department.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,771MI6 Agent
    I think it's time for the AJB forum to start a Go Fund Me page for items like this as well as greasing the palms of some of these companies to reissue certain items :))
    I know where you keep your gun!
    edited August 2018
    Here are some pics of the long sleeved retail version. Looks like the production team also switched out the buttons.

DAD_Long_Sleeved_Brioni_Linen_Hawaiian_shirt_1.jpg

DAD_Brioni_Linen_Hawaiian_shirt_2.jpg

Over on the Propstore the current absentee bid for the DAD shirt is 1500GBP. :#
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    sruzgar wrote:

Simon, I had the chance to buy one a year ago and regretfully didn't. The original shirt is actually long-sleeved and must have been altered by the costume department.

I don't think Brosnan's shirt was altered from the long-sleeve version because they have different types of collars. Brioni most likely made Brosnan's shirt specifically for the film to Lindy Hemming's specifications.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Here are some pics of the long sleeved retail version. Looks like the production team also switched out the buttons.

DAD_Long_Sleeved_Brioni_Linen_Hawaiian_shirt_1.jpg

DAD_Brioni_Linen_Hawaiian_shirt_2.jpg

Over on the Propstore the current absentee bid for the DAD shirt is 1500GBP. :#
    It's a bit more affordable then the million dollar Han Solo jacket.
    Matt S wrote:
    sruzgar wrote:

I don't think Brosnan's shirt was altered from the long-sleeve version because they have different types of collars. Brioni most likely made Brosnan's shirt specifically for the film to Lindy Hemming's specifications.

Also quite possible. Definitely the same design and color on the fabric though.
    Matt S wrote:

Also quite possible. Definitely the same design and color on the fabric though.

Yes. Hemming would often see clothes she liked and then have them made to her own specifications. There's no way the collar could have been changed from the ready-to-wear version to the one-piece collar that Brosnan's shirt has.
    Thanks Matt,

Makes me feel better for skipping the shirt, but it would have been nice to have a fabric sample in case we could find someone to make replica shirts.

The DAD version is a better use of the fabric than what Brioni released to the public.
    Thanks Matt,

Makes me feel better for skipping the shirt, but it would have been nice to have a fabric sample in case we could find someone to make replica shirts.

The DAD version is a better use of the fabric than what Brioni released to the public.

It is definitely a strange fabric for a long-sleeved shirt!
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,771MI6 Agent
    So I was looking at the TF108's that are up for auction and I noticed in the description that this pair has the Tom Ford logo on both sides of the earpieces which is different than the retail versions.
    I know where you keep your gun!