Regarding the Kara hate...

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
This will not stand. We Kara fans will not be terrorized by cowards who will slander an innocent woman and use her as the butt of ridicule.

She's feisty.
She's likeable.
She's gorgeous (I guess the haters don't own that Playboy she was in...).

For an untrained pseudo-assassin-cello player, I think she performed (no cello pun intended) admirably in the field!

Now, who's with me??
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    When I first saw TLD back in 1987, Kara really annoyed me. I don't even remember why. But on repeat viewings she grew on me, and I now feel she was one of the more complex Bond girls. I also think Maryam D'Abo's acting style nicely meshed with Dalton's.

For what it's worth, I have the book D'Abo co-wrote, Bond Girls Are Forever.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    When I first saw TLD back in 1987, Kara really annoyed me. I don't even remember why.
    She annoyed me back then too. And I know why.
    Ripley.
    After Aliens I really expected strong, fierce female characters.
    Cameron spoiled real women in the cinema for me. :))
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Kara has never annoyed me and is actually one of the better Bond Girls in my opinion.

I love the scenes at the carnival. The cello bits were fun and worked for me. The opening at the concert is fantastic. I would say the only part I don't like is when she is about to drive the plane into the cliff. Love the very ending scene of the movie too.
    Kara has never annoyed me and is actually one of the better Bond Girls in my opinion.
    THANK YOU! -{
  • L JonesL Jones Posts: 131MI6 Agent
    There are a lot of Bond fans that hate Kara Milovy? ?:)

She's one of my favorite Bond leading ladies. Not only was she very human, she put up with a lot for a woman who is not a trained spy or assassin. To me, she was a strong woman without having to be an action female character.
    L Jones wrote:
    There are a lot of Bond fans that hate Kara Milovy? ?:)
    I've read the word 'annoying' next to her character name more times than I can count, here & elsewhere. Not that all 'hate' her, but a sizeable portion of the fans seem to lump her in with Stacy Sutton.
  • Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    a sizeable portion of the fans seem to lump her in with Stacy Sutton.

Really? Here? Not even my Dad thinks that and he really dislikes TLD (I think I've said that's the one big part where we differ...although it's not because of Dalton or D'Abo [though she's in his middle-lower tier as far as I know, he doesn't ridicule her the way he does Stacy Sutton, Jinx, Christmas Jones, or Holly Goodhead]; rather, he thinks next to nothing of the villains or their scheme).
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
    chrisisall wrote:
    a sizeable portion of the fans seem to lump her in with Stacy Sutton.
    Really? Here?
    "Kara is a weak Bond girl. Annoying and naive, she did nothing to move the plot along aside from having a link to Koskov. Oftentimes she was more of a hindrance than help, especially during the fight aboard the Hercules."

"To me, she's the most irritating part of an otherwise good film. Insipid is the word I can best think of to describe her."

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/28930/kara-milovy/

To be fair, it's on other sites more than here, and more recently too.
    chrisisall wrote:
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/28930/kara-milovy/

To be fair, it's on other sites more than here, and more recently too.

chrisisall, while I do admit that is WAY too harsh, it's also from a thread from 2007. :o

Okay, I just googled it, and evidently, it does seem to be ongoing on one particular site, but here recently?
    but here recently?
    Yeah, okay. Maybe the wrong place & time, but this site is the most intelligent place to discuss stuff like this IMO. ;)
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    Annoying? No not really. Boring? Yes, absolutely. One of the most forgettable Bond girls to me. In every aspect, also looks wise. Looks like the average housewife you run into in the supermarket. But hey, to each its own :)
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    Annoying? No not really. Boring? Yes, absolutely. One of the most forgettable Bond girls to me. In every aspect, also looks wise. Looks like the average housewife you run into in the supermarket. But hey, to each its own :)

Agree 100%. To me Kara is rather bland. Perhaps she may be a little better looking than the average housewife, but not enough for her to stand out as a Bond Girl. I think she and Whitaker are the weak links in Dalton's otherwise stellar Bond film.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    I've always liked Kara from "Day 1" and never considered her weak or boring. One of the best Bond girls for sure...
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    IMHO Kara is a very good Bond girl and I think she has great chemistry with Dalton. It is a believable relationship in a more down to earth movie. And Mr Osato, I’d like to know what your supermarket is :))
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    8-) why are personal dislikes or non-preferences labelled as
    chrisisall wrote:
    hate

and the accodrding people labelled as
    chrisisall wrote:
    [ terrorized (terrorists)
    chrisisall wrote:
    cowards
    chrisisall wrote:
    who will slander an innocent woman
    chrisisall wrote:
    use her as the butt of ridicule.

It borders to trolling in my eyes, just to cause a clash of opinions here.

It's just that I don't like her acting, I don't like her looks (pretty annorexic if you are asking me) and find her pretty annoying in the movie.

My opinion - if you don't share it - good for you!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    Bit surprised by the hate too, at least she's memorable. But she doesn't quite hit the comic value, quirkiness or maybe do that thing where women can relate to her (being betrayed by men, out of her depth in this espionage game kind of thing). A Rosanna Arquette type might have been better. Yeah, she is a bit gormless I guess. TBH not that many great actors (or performances) in TLD prob Glen's fault.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Bondtoys wrote:
    It borders to trolling in my eyes, just to cause a clash of opinions here.
    Why Mr. Toys, you surprise me! Do you not recognize the first lines in my op?
    M from TWINE (paraquoted); it's meant to be funny! :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    you are probably the only one with that opinion.....
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    I recognised it, it was a reasonable attempt at wit...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    I never thought that Kara was especially bad and far from movie wrecking, just slightly "blah" and more along the lines of Paris Carver or that Ukrainian bird from QoS.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I like and dislike her depending on the scenes she's in.

Kara finding her house trashed by the KGB- She looked really vulnerable in this scene. I haven't forgotten the look of childlike excitement on her face when Bond said that Georgi could be hiding in Vienna.

Kara and Bond at the fair-I really love this scene as it shows Bond and Kara having fun and the laughter during this scene looks really genuine. It was sweet of Bond to win her that massive stuffed toy on the guns. The mood changes in the blink of an eye when Saunders is killed.

The fight at the Gaol- I liked the scene because it shows that Kara can kick arse. I liked the line after this;

Kara-"you were fantastic, we're free!"

Bond-"Kara,we're inside a Russian airbase in the middle of Afghanistan!"

Opening the door in the back of the plane- Kind of a dim move but i only like it because it leads to a terrific conclusion between the fight between Bond and Necros

Dislikes

Kara not getting on the plane in the jeep- I find this really irritating, although i thought Dalton's eye roll was funny.

Kara covering Bond's eyes when he is flying the plane- He's heading towards a cliff for god's sake!
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    I never thought that Kara was especially bad and far from movie wrecking, just slightly "blah" and more along the lines of Paris Carver or that Ukrainian bird from QoS.
    And I liked both of them! :D
    I guess it's all down to what's attractive to the individual, eh?
    I personally rank her slightly higher than Dad, but physically, although objectively she's attractive, she's just not my type. She was on the bland side in my opinion, although not brain-dribbling-out-my-nose boring, which was what ruined Holly Goodhead, IMO. On the other hand, I'd take bland over annoying and/or stupid any day of the week.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Aww don't pick on little Kara she is lovely , I like her, :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I enjoyed her different look & style. Not every Bond girl needs to be a bombshell or a mixed martial arts champ.
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    I disagree: They should all be a bombshell :D
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    I disagree: They should all be a bombshell :D
    That's like having Ice Cream for dinner every night, now isn't it? ?:)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Bond girls and Cream, NOW that would be an Interesting night. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Bond girls and Cream, NOW that would be an Interesting night. :))
    Been there done that.
    Maybe not enough, but whatever. :))