Regarding the Kara hate...

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Surly you can NEVER do that enough ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Surly you can NEVER do that enough ! :))
    There are only so many years in a lifetime.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    :)) :)) :))

I did try to get inventive with cream once, But it was all very messy and we
    were asked to leave the coffee house.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

I did try to get inventive with cream once, But it was all very messy and we
    were asked to leave the coffee house.
    No, no, no. No more foreplay (in public).
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    a sizeable portion of the fans seem to lump her in with Stacy Sutton.
    Really? Here?
    "Kara is a weak Bond girl. Annoying and naive, she did nothing to move the plot along aside from having a link to Koskov. Oftentimes she was more of a hindrance than help, especially during the fight aboard the Hercules."

"To me, she's the most irritating part of an otherwise good film. Insipid is the word I can best think of to describe her."

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/28930/kara-milovy/

To be fair, it's on other sites more than here, and more recently too.

And I'm one of those people.... I find her really annoying, and insipid and bland. To me, she really lets down this film.

The best way to describe her is 'wet' (and not in a good way :)) ) She is far too dependant on Bond... and seems needy.

There. That feels better. :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    thanks Lex for being the voice of reason -{
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:

Bondtoys wrote:

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it -{ :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it -{ :D

Right, and I can't think of a better someone than you! :007)
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    You old smoothy. :))
    You old smoothy. :))

Busted! :))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,658Chief of Staff
    I like the character of Kara...she's deceived and double-crossed but can still be resourceful...she's not a spy like Bond - or even his equal - a refreshing change from the series...just a cellist...I think some are too hard on her character...
    YNWA 97
    Sorry, Sir Miles.
    What exatcly do you mean she's resourceful?

From what I can see in the movie, she screws up almost everything - she's not even able to play a Cello ;)

Kara does help Bond out - a bit...and she does play the cello...plus she can certainly drug Bond to perfection :))
    YNWA 97
    Where exactly does she help him out?
    She's visually and obviously not able to play a Cello or act like playing a Cello with a playback....

Bondtoys wrote:
    Where exactly does she help him out?
    She's visually and obviously not able to play a Cello or act like playing a Cello with a playback....

Apparently she studied very hard to learn the cello part - so it would look real on screen...
    Kara helps Bond on the plane and in the prison...
    YNWA 97
    Now that you mention it:

Even Mary Goodnight was more of a help than Kara and less pain in the arse if you compare both in a help/ things that they screw up ratio 8-) and by far better looking :D

Sir Miles wrote:
    I like the character of Kara...she's deceived and double-crossed but can still be resourceful...she's not a spy like Bond - or even his equal - a refreshing change from the series...just a cellist...I think some are too hard on her character...
    Thank you, Sir Miles! -{
    *Lupe Lamora voice*
    I love Kara so much!
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I think the cello is the problem. It's just not a sexy instrument. Now, if she was a bassoonist...
    chrisisall wrote:
    *Lupe Lamora voice*

I think the cello is the problem. It's just not a sexy instrument. Now, if she was a bassoonist...

If a woman will put it between her legs.....its sexy ;% :D

Oh....and you try escaping in a bassoon case :))
    YNWA 97
    I'm sure everyone has heard the old story of a conductor shouting
    at bad female cello player.
    " You have between your legs a gift from God and all you
    can do is scratch it !" :))
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    "Kara is a weak Bond girl. Annoying and naive, she did nothing to move the plot along aside from having a link to Koskov. Oftentimes she was more of a hindrance than help, especially during the fight aboard the Hercules."

"To me, she's the most irritating part of an otherwise good film. Insipid is the word I can best think of to describe her."

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/28930/kara-milovy/

To be fair, it's on other sites more than here, and more recently too.
    Some of the above quotes are mine, chris. You'll soon be hearing from my attorney regarding proper attribution ;) but in the meantime, my views haven't changed much in the six years since that thread was active. Maryam D'Abo was attractive in the role (love her 80s bob cut) and she seems to be a very intelligent person. I love that she has embraced the Bond girl thing enough to produce a book and film about it. But the character of Kara is milquetoast. She's hapless in just about every way, and bats her doe eyes at Bond with far too much reverence. She gets in Bond's way more often than not.

"Back end of horse" is pretty funny though!
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Kara should have run around in a bikini, shooting explosive-tipped arrows. Then all this dislike would evaporate I guess.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Now you're talking :D
    chrisisall wrote:
    Kara should have run around in a bikini, shooting explosive-tipped arrows. Then all this dislike would evaporate I guess.

No, it's not about that at all. 8-)

It's the fact she is wimpy and and as Sir Hillary perfectly put it "But the character of Kara is milquetoast.  She's hapless in just about every way, and bats her doe eyes at Bond with far too much reverence.  She gets in Bond's way more often than not.

I'm not suggesting that all Bond girls need to be like Jinx, (she has her fair share of haters), but I really dislike the use of soppy girls to represent vulnerable ones.

Her 'puppy dog eyes' and her "oh, James" whilst running over to kiss him all the time, always seems to be at the most inappropriate times and end up being irritating.
    Lexi wrote:
    I really dislike the use of soppy girls to represent vulnerable ones.
    sop·py
    adjective \ˈsä-pē\
    : sad or romantic in a foolish or exaggerated way
    : foolish or silly
    I'm sorry Lexi, I just don't see Kara like this. I see a musician suddenly thrust into the world of espionage by way of (false) love. Of all the "Oh James" I've ever heard (and believe me, many times I've squirmed hearing it) hers rings the most true. She's a civilian in what becomes a hot war. And for her lack of training, she does surprisingly well- a testament to her spirit IMO. And for all the (hilarious) eye rolling James does as Kara drives that jeep, I doubt many average men or women in her predicament would fare as well.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    sop·py
    adjective \ˈsä-pē\
    I'm sorry Lexi, I just don't see Kara like this. I see a musician suddenly thrust into the world of espionage by way of (false) love. Of all the "Oh James" I've ever heard (and believe me, many times I've squirmed hearing it) hers rings the most true. She's a civilian in what becomes a hot war. And for her lack of training, she does surprisingly well- a testament to her spirit IMO. And for all the (hilarious) eye rolling James does as Kara drives that jeep, I doubt many average men or women in her predicament would fare as well.

Well I'm afraid I do....

I think she got the character description as 'vulnerable and displaced' and instead we got 'wet and pathetic'

The title of this thread is regarding the Kara hate...
    which you open with a statement of:
    chrisisall wrote:
    She's feisty.
    She's likeable.
    She's gorgeous

I'm simply disagreeing with you.

Of course this is just my opinion... and I was coming forth, as you commented on (rather surprisingly) that some members on here disliked the character...

So, I raised my hand, and said yes, one of them was me! And proceeded to tell you why I thought so....

None of us is wrong in our opinion, but no matter how many times you will tell me otherwise, I will still see Kara's character as annoying and wet.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,448Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

Apparently she studied very hard to learn the cello part - so it would look real on screen...

Kara can play the cello. Maryam d'Abo can't. She did what is known as "soaping", which is fairly self-explanatory (the bow is covered in soap, so there isn't a god-awful screech as a non-player draws it across the strings).

By the way, why a cello and lady cellist in the story in the first place? Well, the Flemings didn't just write books:

amaryllis_1.jpg

Amaryllis Fleming, 1925-99. She gets a mention in TLD, the story- though of course only her first name!
    Lexi wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    sop·py
    adjective \ˈsä-pē\

Well I'm afraid I do....

I think she got the character description as 'vulnerable and displaced' and instead we got 'wet and pathetic'

The title of this thread is regarding the Kara hate...
    which you open with a statement of:
    chrisisall wrote:
    She's feisty.
    She's likeable.
    She's gorgeous

I'm simply disagreeing with you.

Of course this is just my opinion... and I was coming forth, as you commented on (rather surprisingly) that some members on here disliked the character...

So, I raised my hand, and said yes, one of them was me! And proceeded to tell you why I thought so....

None of us is wrong in our opinion, but no matter how many times you will tell me otherwise, I will still see Kara's character as annoying and wet.

I'm with you, Lexi. Chris and others may have their reasons for liking Kara, but I find her to be uninteresting, uninspiring and bland. I feel the same way about Domino. I know many Bond fans think she's top-notch too, but she does absolutely nothing for me. Opinions - don't ya just love 'em?