Nice Write-up in Defense of Sir Roger

Thought I'd post this article. I am a big fan of the Craig films, and I think he's been an excellent Bond, but for me Roger will always be my favorite 007. Here's to hoping that a new appreciation of his take on Bond is underway.

http://www.mrporter.com/journal/the-read/the-man-with-the-golden-pun/548?cm_mmc=Email-_-JournalDigestC-_-221015-_-USTHEREAD

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,290MI6 Agent
    Yeah, good writing, though all writers can't resist frontloading any defense with a load of criticism of Rog.

And I must join in, I mean that pic of Rog and Sean together - Jimmy Hill chins, surely! Quite protruding. But you don't ever really see that in their films do you? Odd, and just as well.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • DevereauxDevereaux EnglandPosts: 35MI6 Agent
    Nice line in the article...' this is the era when movie stars had style, rather than stylists'...and Roger looks great in the shots.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    "He was too smart, too charming, simply too well-mannered, and with a far too highly developed sense of his own ridiculousness, to insult the audience’s collective intelligence by playing the frankly preposterous character of Mr Ian Fleming’s Bond – wine snob, womaniser, stuffed shirt, a loner who saves all from the megalomaniac Armageddon every time – for anything other than chuckles."

So Moore was the best Bond because he made no attempt to actually portray the character Fleming created? Okay, thanks. 8-)
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Strangely out of all the actors after Connery, only Moore and Craig have made
    the role totally their own . ;) ( just my opinion, of course)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    "He was too smart, too charming, simply too well-mannered, and with a far too highly developed sense of his own ridiculousness, to insult the audience’s collective intelligence by playing the frankly preposterous character of Mr Ian Fleming’s Bond – wine snob, womaniser, stuffed shirt, a loner who saves all from the megalomaniac Armageddon every time – for anything other than chuckles."

So Moore was the best Bond because he made no attempt to actually portray the character Fleming created? Okay, thanks. 8-)

I don't agree with what the author is saying on this. Yes, LALD, TMWTGG and to a lesser extent TSWLM aren't so "Flemmingey", but his latter films are. Roger pulls both style of films off with conviction. The Producers chose to make his first few films a departure from SC - which leads to Roger being able to own the role. A mistake that was made with Lazenby (along with plenty of others).

Roger is my fav by a mile and I don't think he needs defending. Dalton and Lazenby do, mostly to non-Bond fans. I think Roger is an acquired taste as Bond, and even people who don't necessarily like him as Bond (SC/DC lovers), he still gets appreciated.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent

It's a bold statement for sure.

I can back you up on Sir Roger, not so much on Craig, even if the latter's era has brought a new direction for the movies (which is a fact).
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    I think Roger is an acquired taste as Bond, and even people who don't necessarily like him as Bond (SC/DC lovers), he still gets appreciated.

I am definitely in this category. And I appreciate the fact that you don't agree with the excerpts from the article that I posted. It seems to me that the author undercuts his argument that Moore was the best Bond by insinuating that Moore isn't really playing Bond. Although Moore's take on the character is my least favorite, he is still 007 and I am able to enjoy his Bond movies for what they are.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent

Moore and Craig are the best 2 bonds IMO!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    Thought I'd post this article. I am a big fan of the Craig films, and I think he's been an excellent Bond, but for me Roger will always be my favorite 007. Here's to hoping that a new appreciation of his take on Bond is underway.

http://www.mrporter.com/journal/the-read/the-man-with-the-golden-pun/548?cm_mmc=Email-_-JournalDigestC-_-221015-_-USTHEREAD

Nice article. Though I do love my heroes gloomy and brooding (especially Bond) Sir Roger remains unmatched in pulling off the lighter, more humorous side of Bond with incredible panache and insatiable charm.
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
    It seems to me that the author undercuts his argument that Moore was the best Bond by insinuating that Moore isn't really playing Bond.

The article is a tad pretentious and argument searching. Although I do admire anyone who has a love for old Rog!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

The author doesn't say that a more serious approach to the role is invalid. He is simply arguing that it wouldn't have worked for Roger. And frankly, Roger has more or less stated as much over the years, so I'm not sure it's controversial.

Roger is my fav by a mile and I don't think he needs defending.

While Roger is generally appreciated by the dedicated variety of Bond fans that populate this community, he seems to be maligned by the general populace and the media. I think these attitudes attitudes will shift as filmgoers become less enamored with tortured heroes. But at the moment, it remains a fact.
    While Roger is generally appreciated by the dedicated variety of Bond fans that populate this community, he seems to be maligned by the general populace and the media. I think these attitudes attitudes will shift as filmgoers become less enamored with tortured heroes. But at the moment, it remains a fact.

Yes and no - I think Lazenby gets more abuse out of ignorance. Most people haven't even seen OHMSS, they just think because he only did one, he's the worst. These same people usually say SC is the best and don't have much of an opinion about the others...

"Better make that two."

Yes and no - I think Lazenby gets more abuse out of ignorance. Most people haven't even seen OHMSS, they just think because he only did one, he's the worst. These same people usually say SC is the best and don't have much of an opinion about the others...

You are correct about Lazenby and OHMSS. But you underestimate the ill-will toward Roger. Especially among media types. A quick scan of the negative reviews for SPECTRE and you'll spot the criticism that they've gone "too Roger Moore."
    You are correct about Lazenby and OHMSS. But you underestimate the ill-will toward Roger. Especially among media types. A quick scan of the negative reviews for SPECTRE and you'll spot the criticism that they've gone "too Roger Moore."

Fair point, I guess I actually avoid mainstream reviews and media coverage of Bond because they water it down and appeal to the masses. This will sound very elitist, but I've moved on from standard media coverage of Bond. I don't even enjoy respected reviews of Bond films because they don't really do anything for me.

The media is likely to criticise Moore because he's perceived as an easy target as a misconstrued, so-called "unliked" Bond.

"Better make that two."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Critics (paid or otherwise) can kiss my freckled butt. TMWTGG rocks. :v
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Roger Moore himself says the best Bond ever is Daniel Craig. "To me, he looks like a killer. He looks as though he knows what he’s doing. I look as though I might cheat at backgammon". However, I disagree with him. I said it somewhere else. Roger could play a tough SOB very well, if he wanted to. In OP he shoots a soldier between the eyes. If that's not a killer who knows what he's doing, it's pretty close.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Roger Moore was a great Bond.
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Roger Moore himself says the best Bond ever is Daniel Craig. "To me, he looks like a killer. He looks as though he knows what he’s doing. I look as though I might cheat at backgammon". However, I disagree with him. I said it somewhere else. Roger could play a tough SOB very well, if he wanted to. In OP he shoots a soldier between the eyes. If that's not a killer who knows what he's doing, it's pretty close.

I agree. Perhaps Roger says that yes he looks like a killer - but he has the personality of the killed person :p

"Better make that two."
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Muhammad Ali said Tyson was a better boxer. But we all know that's not true.

The author doesn't say that a more serious approach to the role is invalid. He is simply arguing that it wouldn't have worked for Roger. And frankly, Roger has more or less stated as much over the years, so I'm not sure it's controversial.

For me, it isn't merely that the more serious approach wouldn't have worked for Roger. It's that Moore's approach to the role seems less suited to playing the character that Bond is supposed to be. Again, there are obviously many fans who enjoy and appreciate what Moore did with the role more than what the other actors have done. I just don't happen to be one of them. In my opinion Roger Moore just doesn't project the sense of danger and menace that I will forever associate with the character of James Bond. That's not to say that the cinematic incarnation of Bond can't include a few lighter, more humorous aspects. All of the other actors have shown a bit of that side, even Connery, my favorite. The difference is that they're all more convincing demonstrating Bond's tougher, more ruthless side. There have been several attempts to include that in Moore's portrayal, for example in FYEO which I believe is his most successful attempt. But overall Moore fails on that count, and that's one reason I could never view him as the best Bond.
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Roger could play a tough SOB very well, if he wanted to. In OP he shoots a soldier between the eyes. If that's not a killer who knows what he's doing, it's pretty close.
    OP had some of Roger's best moments. -{
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Roger could play a tough SOB very well, if he wanted to. In OP he shoots a soldier between the eyes. If that's not a killer who knows what he's doing, it's pretty close.

Certainly did. He's the most comfortable in this role as well because of the fun, the humour and the seriousness. He kicks ass in OP.

"Better make that two."
    He kicks ass in OP.
    And backed up by a great Barry score. -{
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

So true. -{
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    though all writers can't resist frontloading any defense with a load of criticism of Rog.

No kidding! What complete rubbish. It reminds me of your typical Moore-hater here on AJB who will grudgingly offer some faint praise for Roger by saying, "Okay, I suppose his films are good for a laugh or two, since all other films are so overly serious."

1. There's nothing wrong with the one-liner "Just keeping the British end up!" Why would that ever draw attention as being cringe worthy compared to any other Bond innuendos ?

2. Roger didn't play the role for laughs. In fact, I recall him being pretty damn serious about 95% of the time.

3. Yes, actually many Bond fans DO like Timothy Dalton quite a bit.

4. That's not what Roger was wearing when we first saw him in Live and Let Die.

Anyway, I kinda gave up reading the article halfway through because I was getting too offended.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • DR NO-ahDR NO-ah AustraliaPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    I am a huge fan of the books but I personally feel people get too caught up between the two mediums and how "Fleming" the films are. I personally view them as two separate things all together which every now and then have some crossover and familiar threads. I mean the James Bond franchise is 60 odd years old and encompasses so many things from Fleming Books, continuation novels, comic books, Eon films, 'non official' films, video games, toys etc etc. Just my opinion anyway.

Also, Roger Moore's bond is awesome! -{
    "Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    A very nice little article. Thanks very much for sharing! -{

Most people here know my opinion of Sir Roger as Bond...but some might not realize precisely how much I really do love him. In the right mood, Sir Roger's Bond is just the ticket---like the Marx Brothers, really, just slightly more deadpan and with people dying violently.

The other day I watched TSWLM, and was very grateful for the two hours of smiles it afforded me. His Bond was very much of his time, and there's no denying his great moments in the role. TMWTGG is my favourite of his, followed by LALD, but I very much enjoy FYEO and TSWLM on occasion. There's no denying his part in keeping the whole thing going in dicey times, and a better ambassador Eon has never had.

Long life, and good health sir -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    DR NO-ah wrote:
    I am a huge fan of the books but I personally feel people get too caught up between the two mediums and how "Fleming" the films are. I personally view them as two separate things all together which every now and then have some crossover and familiar threads. I mean the James Bond franchise is 60 odd years old and encompasses so many things from Fleming Books, continuation novels, comic books, Eon films, 'non official' films, video games, toys etc etc. Just my opinion anyway.

But Bond is Fleming's character. That is why I believe Fleming's novels is the standard by which Bond films are to be judged, and the Fleming way is the only way to play Bond. In my view, every film should seek to interpret the literary Bond as faithfully as possible; the only difference being the time and place that the character's missions take place.

The franchise may be 60 years old. But the Bond character is very well defined by Ian Fleming. I don't believe EON should be allowed to stray from that.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    It'd be boring if Bond films were serious all the time.

The humor aspect is one of the things that draws me to Bond films.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later