Nice Write-up in Defense of Sir Roger

Comments

• Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    I feel like Moore wanted to put his own interpretation on the Fleming character, and wanted to cater to a new audience of viewers. But when it came to the serious moments, Moore's Bond took his mission very seriously.

I think he did a great job, and is an underrated Bond.
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Moore could be a tough Bond for sure.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Exactly, I felt like, aside from the humor, Moore was even tougher than Connery.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Exactly, I felt like, aside from the humor, Moore was even tougher than Connery.
    Let's see CONNERY's Bond hang onto the outside of a plane whilst fighting!! :007)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent

{[]
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

In an alternative universe perhaps, but here on earth.......no way! :p
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Moore aged WAY better than Connery.

Everyone complains about how old Moore looks in AVTAK, but consider his age - he looked good for 57!

Compare that to Connery in DAF, who quite frankly, looked terrible for his actual age!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:

Everyone complains about how old Moore looks in AVTAK, but consider his age - he looked good for 57!

Compare that to Connery in DAF, who quite frankly, looked terrible for his actual age!

In a comparative sense I agree, but Moore did look old in AVTAK - a little too leathery. Reminds me of Troy McLure!

hqdefault.jpg

But yes, considering Sean was 41 at the time, he didn't look great - but he was just unfit.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Did you see Connery in the Rock :D
    I smell a rat
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited October 2015
    As I have said, I love Sir Roger, but nobody can every convince me that he sold the physicality of Bond more effectively than Sir Sean. They both had great stuntmen, that's a given, but generally only one of them looked like they needed one, IMO. After Connery hit a certain plateau, he became a credible ass-kicking senior citizen: Outland, Highlander, The Untouchables, The Presidio, The Rock...and arguably even Extraordinary Gentlemen (a God-awful swan song, but he was an alpha bastard in it).
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Connery in the rock looks younger than Connery in DAF

(Ok that's an exaggeration, but my point is, he looked terrible in DAF lol)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    One Bond film that is massively underated and IMO the best Moore Bond film is The Man With The Golden Gun.

It's a fantastic film and even non Bond fans would like this one.
    I smell a rat
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    I love TMWTGG but it does have its critics.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Connery skipped his 40s and 50s and just moved on to his 60s. I skipped my high school years. When I was in my later teenage years everyone thought I was in my university years.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    edited October 2015
    Moore was the perfect Bond for the 70s. In a way, "that" style was introduced in Diamonds Are Forever by Connery. Moore was natural at that and also films released in that decade demanded such so it was a win-win

In Live and Let Die, Moore looked younger than Connery in Diamonds Are Forever so Moore was probably a better bet to carry the series forward in the 70s .... Only relevant criticism of Moore is that he probably did a couple of films more than he should have, but then producers are to be blamed for that too .... Who knows if a younger Moore did a Skyfall today, he probably would have played it differently according to the current taste / demand

Connery and Moore are the top two Bonds. They are like Ferrari and Lamborghini (or Aston if you prefer). Others are like Porsche, Maserati, etc. Porsches and Maseratis are great cars but there is something different about Ferraris and Lamborghinis :D
    At the end of the day, without Sir Roger doing the films between 1973 and 1985 there would be no franchise today.

{[] :007)
    I smell a rat
    am747 wrote:
    Connery and Moore are the top two Bonds. They are like Ferrari and Lamborghini (or Aston if you prefer). Others are like Porsche, Maserati, etc. Porsche and Maserati are great cars but there is something different about a Ferrari and a Lamborghini

{[]

"Better make that two."
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    At the end of the day, without Sir Roger doing the films between 1973 and 1985 there would be no franchise today.

{[] :007)

Well said. -{ Moore didn't look too old until AVTAK, in my opinion. Even in OP he was credible as an older agent.
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Extraordinary Gentlemen (a God-awful swan song, but he was an alpha bastard in it).

I had lots of fun watching Extraordinary Gentlement. Yes, it's not Connery's best film ever. But I remember his first scene, with the fight, and thinking, "wow, he can still kick some a**" . And the nods to Bond are a lot of fun too.
  • The Debonair BondThe Debonair Bond Posts: 48MI6 Agent
    One Bond film that is massively underated and IMO the best Moore Bond film is The Man With The Golden Gun.

Not sure if it's Moore's best, but I do think it's a good film

It's my own personal favourite :007)
  • Penfold HeartPenfold Heart Posts: 159MI6 Agent

It's a very good film, I enjoy it again every time I watch it. It's not my favourite of Sir Roger's outings (That goes to AVTAK) but still a great entry into the franchise. It should get far more love than it appears to -{

Having said that, AVTAK gets a bit of a kicking too! But I think it's wonderful. I know Sir Roger is a bit long in the tooth etc etc etc, but I love it. :D

Top bloke, and a really great Bond!
    As I have said, I love Sir Roger, but nobody can every convince me that he sold the physicality of Bond more effectively than Sir Sean. They both had great stuntmen, that's a given, but generally only one of them looked like they needed one, IMO. After Connery hit a certain plateau, he became a credible ass-kicking senior citizen: Outland, Highlander, The Untouchables, The Presidio, The Rock...and arguably even Extraordinary Gentlemen (a God-awful swan song, but he was an alpha bastard in it).
    {[]
    am747 wrote:
    Only relevant criticism of Moore is that he probably did a couple of films more than he should have, but then producers are to be blamed for that too

I agree that the producers are to blame for Moore hanging on too long. However, that's far from the only "relevant" criticism in my opinion. While I can appreciate the fact that many fans find Moore's take on the Bond character to be entertaining and perhaps preferable to the way other actors have portrayed him, to me just Moore isn't as convincing as the consummate man of action that Bond is supposed to be. I think that's indeed a relevant criticism.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    Only relevant criticism of Moore is that he probably did a couple of films more than he should have, but then producers are to be blamed for that too

I agree that the producers are to blame for Moore hanging on too long. However, that's far from the only "relevant" criticism in my opinion. While I can appreciate the fact that many fans find Moore's take on the Bond character to be entertaining and perhaps preferable to the way other actors have portrayed him, to me just Moore isn't as convincing as the consummate man of action that Bond is supposed to be. I think that's indeed a relevant criticism.

Yes, Moore lacked the physicality, and he didn't have it from the beginning. Small scale fights he could do, but he wasn't believable as someone who could hang onto the side of a train or the back of a plane, let alone run up a flight of stairs. But he had everything else. He was great as a tough Bond and as a sensitive Bond. People like to knock his acting, but he has shown a wider range of emotion as Bond than Daniel Craig has.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    People like to knock his acting, but he has shown a wider range of emotion as Bond than Daniel Craig has.

I can't say I agree with that. With the deaths of Vesper and M, and his looking at his own reflection after the stairway killing, in CR, as well as the shower scene (examples off the top of my head), there is no shortage of range there. Not to knock Moore, and of course the acting style and writing is different, but I don't think I'd say he's the better actor in terms of emotional range.
    While I can appreciate the fact that many fans find Moore's take on the Bond character to be entertaining and perhaps preferable to the way other actors have portrayed him, to me just Moore isn't as convincing as the consummate man of action that Bond is supposed to be. I think that's indeed a relevant criticism.

I think this is a fair criticism and reason not to enjoy Moore's Bond.

Moore is my favourite and it is because of the gusto he brought to the role, not exhibited in such volume IMO by anyone else.

Lazenby and Craig are the best looking fighters, Dalton is the best actor, Pierce is close to Moore as an all-rounder, and SC is just total class (when he wanted to be).

"Better make that two."
    Matt S wrote:
    People like to knock his acting, but he has shown a wider range of emotion as Bond than Daniel Craig has.

As much as I'd like to agree, Moore's films in comparisons with DC's don't allow such a range to be shown.
    With the deaths of Vesper and M, and his looking at his own reflection after the stairway killing, in CR, as well as the shower scene (examples off the top of my head), there is no shortage of range there. Not to knock Moore, and of course the acting style and writing is different, but I don't think I'd say he's the better actor in terms of emotional range.

Agree. Lazenby is probably 2nd in terms of what was asked of his acting range...

"Better make that two."
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:

That could be the case but 70s was also the period where 007 drove a car underwater. Moore made such sequences entertaining to watch :))
  • IcePakIcePak Perth, Western AustraliaPosts: 170MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    Connery and Moore are the top two Bonds. They are like Ferrari and Lamborghini (or Aston if you prefer). Others are like Porsche, Maserati, etc. Porsches and Maseratis are great cars but there is something different about Ferraris and Lamborghinis :D

I couldn't have said it better.
    1. CR 2. OHMSS 3. GE 4. OP 5. FYEO 6. TLD 7. FRwL
    8. TSWLM 9. TMwtGG 10. AVtaK 11. SF 12. TND 13. LtK 14. NTtD
    15. MR 16. LaLD 17. YOLT 18. GF 19. DN 20. SP 21. TWiNE
    22. TB 23. DAD 24. QoS 25. DaF