Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,877MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Brintman has told us he has reached the impressive age of 90. That got me thinking:
    Is he the oldest member here?
    Who is the youngest member here in AJB007?
    I was born on '01.
    The youngest member here...maybe?

2001? That's very recently :D :))
    I read some peculiar news from Saudi Arabia. As you can imagine, beauty contests with women contestants are a non-starter :v

jpeg&output-quality=75

The solution? Dromedary beauty contests! :))

107936787.jpg

I'm not joking. The contest leads to so much competitivenes, 12 dromedaries were recently disqualified due to Botox use :o

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/camels-botox-banned-beauty-contest-saudi-arabia-riyadh-a8175261.html
    For years Fins have visited St Petersburg in Russia to sample the cheap alcohol there. As a result the Russians call the visitors from finland "our four-leggeed friends" :))
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    24, you posting about the dromedary competition sent we down a really weird Google spiral. I learned the US had a camel division in the Army. So weird. If you Google it you can see the camel graves.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/the-short-life-of-the-camel-corps/
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The only place in the world to still have wild camels
    Is ..... Australia ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    24, you posting about the dromedary competition sent we down a really weird Google spiral. I learned the US had a camel division in the Army. So weird. If you Google it you can see the camel graves.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/the-short-life-of-the-camel-corps/

I didn't know that, but I knew the USSR had a reindeer unit in WWII. And both Sweden and the Soviets tried out elk cavalry, but it didn't work :))
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I think using camels may still have a good use in military operations. In many places in the world the vehicles even off road vehicles can not be used. This is where camels or horses still can be used. My army still has a horse unit. They can move quickly through the very hard terrain where no vehicle can go and it takes men a long time by walking.
    I do not know this but perhaps even today in some of the middle east armys may have camel units?
    I wanted to say that I think it would be good manners perhaps for people who join the AJB not to begin by trying to sell things straiht away from joining? The guns which have been put in picture frames look very good but perhaps should not be put in different places on the AJB site as the first time of posting?
    Joshua wrote:
    I think using camels may still have a good use in military operations. In many places in the world the vehicles even off road vehicles can not be used. This is where camels or horses still can be used. My army still has a horse unit. They can move quickly through the very hard terrain where no vehicle can go and it takes men a long time by walking.
    I do not know this but perhaps even today in some of the middle east armys may have camel units?

Mubarak used camel mounted men (I don't think they were in uniform, but they were probably military or police) against demonstrators during the Arab spring.

The Norwegian army's last unit using horses (as pack animals) lastet until the early 1980's. I actually lived in the unit's (not the horses') barracks during my national service.

I read some European mountain infantry used horses after that. Does anyone know more?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    We have a proud army unit with horses. There's a recruit school every year.

It's called Train. It's a German term even if the word itself is French (or English) for...train.

We also have military dogs by the way.

And they are all used in the alpine region as well. Hard on the soldiers and the animals obviously.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    The British forces also have a proud history with animals, the lancers still keep a mounted contingent, though for most part now are armoured regiments, our military dogs are becoming the stuff of legend even getting special awards for bravery and service -{
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Andi1996Andi1996 ZürichPosts: 50MI6 Agent
    Youngest member on AJB....

I was born February 14th, 1996. I'm sure though there will be some here that are younger than that.
    "It's always a pleasure to welcome someone with a mutual interest."
    Andi1996 wrote:
    Youngest member on AJB....

I was born February 14th, 1996. I'm sure though there will be some here that are younger than that.
    Yeah I think Dirty Punker is like 12 or something.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    Chriscoop wrote:
    It's a bit too early to be under-reporting ones age, don't you think?
    I was born on '01.
    If I'm 5 years younger, every year then I was born on October 15th '96 and Andi's the youngest member here.
    a reasonable rate of return
    Number24 wrote:

Mubarak used camel mounted men

I think this would have been very efective transport. I do not know for sure but I think camels can run for very long distance, many hours perhaps. They would be very good to move in areas which were no good to vehicles. I do not know how the american army used camels in world war 2 but I am sure they would have been very useful and not the joke that it may seem.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    It's a bit too early to be under-reporting ones age, don't you think?
    I was born on '01.
    If I'm 5 years younger, every year then I was born on October 15th '96 and Andi's the youngest member here.
    All meant in the friendliest of ways DP -{
    I'm watching a re-run of the Grammy show. Why all the politics? You know I like to talk politics and mocking Trump, but there is a time and place for everything.
    Plus, I don't like Bruno Mars :v
    "The Now Show" on bbc radio 4, is a comedy news programme but after many years as a
    fan, I stopped listening. As every episode is just one anti brexit joke after another :# it
    simply got boring after a while.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm watching a re-run of the Grammy show. Why all the politics? You know I like to talk politics and mocking Trump, but there is a time and place for everything.
    Plus, I don't like Bruno Mars :v
    I don't like Bruno Mars either, he's a coke snorting toss pot, in fact if he wasn't half my Size at 3 foot 2 I'd like to slap him!
    "The Now Show" on bbc radio 4, is a comedy news programme but after many years as a
    fan, I stopped listening. As every episode is just one anti brexit joke after another :# it
    simply got boring after a while.
    I'm eternal sick of whole brexit talk, I find myself becoming offended by the whole inaccuracies about the whole thing! I've stopped watching the news.
    Is it an age thing when you take delight in pottering? Or a sign of a failing marriage :)) I've always liked a clean car but recently I'm taking pleasure in being in the garage / man cave and cleaning the cars. I've now got music in the garage by way of a Bluetooth speakers, WiFi and chairs.
    DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

20180204_140009.jpg

20180204_135130.jpg
    I think every man needs " A fortress of solitude " ;) or somewhere to get away from the jibber jabber of
    Family life. Or to enjoy a film without having to explain every single thing from plot to names of actors
    and what other films they've been in. :))
    I love murder mysteries, always watching them. I joke with the present
    Mrs TP, that should I ever decide to bump her off, I'd never be caught :))
    Although I was wondering, if anyone has been on a Murder Mystery evening
    or weekend, if they're any good or not ?
    I love murder mysteries, especially those that take place in old mansions or estates, preferably when it's thunder and lightning outside. There are many such films, luckily.
    Dalton Rulez™
    I can't get enough of them Miss Marple, Poirot, Death in Paradise, Midsomer Murders etc.
    I'm very chuffed that I do solve many of them ( not all obviously ). In my mind I'm one
    of the Great Detectives :D
    The last version of " And then there were none " I loved as it kept the original ending and
    not the usual Happy Hollywood one, used in several versions.
    I love the comedic takes on it too.

Clue http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088930/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Murder By Death http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074937/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Both highly recommended.
    Dalton Rulez™
    edited February 2018
    :)) Yes I have watch both many times " Murder by Death " is a master piece
    Alec Guinness as Bensonmun the butler is hilarious :))

https://youtu.be/IsmX6mjqiCg some clips of the Butler. :))
    I love murder mysteries, always watching them. I joke with the present
    Mrs TP, that should I ever decide to bump her off, I'd never be caught :))
    Although I was wondering, if anyone has been on a Murder Mystery evening
    or weekend, if they're any good or not ?
    I've done one in a hotel in Harrogate, called the Swan hotel, Agatha Christie actually stayed there. It was very well done and very entertaining, they use actors in key roles but obviously you don't know who the players are and who are genuine guests. You do have to suspend belief a bit and get into it.
    Interesting, trying to get an idea for a weekend away, with something
    entertaining.
    If done well and your into that sort of thing then very entertaining, but if done badly I guess it would be a bit of a joke.