Connery has "worst film accent"

Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3032052.stm

Sir Sean Connery has been named the actor with the worst movie accent by a UK film magazine.

Movie buffs at Empire magazine gave Sir Sean top spot for his portrayal of Irish cop Jim Malone in the 1987 film The Untouchables.

Connery won a best supporting actor Oscar for his performance in the film.

The Edinburgh-born actor is well-known for his Scottish lilt in numerous film roles.

"Whether he's a Russian sub captain (The Hunt for Red October) or even an English King (First Knight and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves), always that baritone Highland burr remains," says the magazine in its August edition.

Dick van Dyke's much-maligned efforts to imitate an east London cockney accent in Mary Poppins gained him second place in the poll.

Younger actors did not escape unscathed either.

Brad Pitt was voted in at number three for his portrayal as an Austrian explorer in Seven Years in Tibet and Heather Graham came in fifth for her role as a prostitute in the Jack the Ripper film From Hell.

Empire's Olly Richards says actors enjoy trying out different accents.

"Putting on a foreign lilt appeals to a star's vanity, giving them the opportunity to inhabit someone a million miles from themselves and prove that they are more than a pretty face," he says.

"Sadly, in most cases, it does the exact opposite," he added.

Other British actors included in the poll were Pete Postlethwaite, who plays Indian Kobayashi in The Usual Suspects and the late Lord Olivier for his "end of pier Jewish accent" in the 1980 remake of The Jazz Singer.

Worst film accents:
1. Sean Connery in The Untouchables (1987)
2. Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins (1964)
3. Brad Pitt in Seven Year in Tibet (1997)
4. Charlton Heston in A Touch of Evil (1958)
5. Heather Graham in From Hell (2001)
6. Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
7. Julia Roberts in Mary Reilly (1996)
8. Laurence Olivier in The Jazz Singer (1980)
9. Pete Postlethwaite in The Usual Suspects (1995)
10. Meryl Streep in Out of Africa (1985)
Source: Empire magazine
unitedkingdom.png

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Glad to hear my girl Rene Zellweger's accent in Bridget Jones' Diary was good enough to avoid the voice razzies. And yes Keanu Reeves in Dracula was horrid. However, Sir Laurence Olivier gave me a lump in my throat in The Jazz Singer. His performance was magnificent. So, I say his name should be removed at once! You hear me Empire? :D
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited June 2003
    Awww....why do they have to pick on Dick Van Dyke? :( Geez.. how about everybody in Gangs of New York?
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited July 2003
    that's all very interesting.However,in fairness,Sean Connery wasn't hired to appear in The Untouchables because he could speak with a believable Irish brogue.;)He's been speaking with a "Seanconnery" accent for decades now.Connery's Irishman in Darby O'Gill and the little people sounded much closer to the mark--but that when he was considerably younger--and unknown.

And yes,Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent isn't anywhere near as authentic as Sir Michael Caine's--or Stanley Holloway's, or that of many other fine British actors.However,the man to blame for this miscasting is Walt Disney,who insisted on Dick Van Dyke,despite his lack of skill at mastering the proper accent.

With the benefit of hindsight,Jim Dale could've been a more convincing choice,being an Englishman with as equally an athletic and rubber-faced comedic style as Dick Van Dyke. Anthony Newley might've been good casting,too..But Van Dyke-who's never pretended to be a master of dialects-was quite popular and famous at the time Mary Poppins was filmed.And IMHO it's doubtful the children for whom Poppins was made were especially bothered by Dick Van Dyke's awkward attempt at an accent.

Ironically,Mary Poppins' creator,British author P.L.Travers, approved of Dick Van Dyke but was uncertain about Julie Andrews as Mary.She'd originally wanted Katharine Hepburn cast as the magical nanny...

W.G.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    The true revelation in all that was that Pete Postlethwaite was meant to be Indian in The Usual Suspects. I had no idea!

And terrible though Connery was - I mean, if you're not going to bother trying to do the accent, stop telling us you're Irish!!! - nothing can beat Dick Van "luvaduck, gorblimey, its a jollee oliday wiv maaaarreee!!!" Dyke. I love Mary Poppins, but even as a weeny child I cringed when he appeared onscreen. His mouth twisting into those hideously contorted vowel shapes gave me nightmares...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    I once read that when Disney first screened the completed Mary Poppins to P. L. Travers, she asked him when it would be finished. Disney told her the film was finished, and she responded something like, "No, no, no! You have to remove those songs and that cartoon sequence!"

OK, I'll defend Dick Van Dyke. Yes, his accent is terrible, but I can't visualize anyone else singing "Chim-chim-cher-ee" or dancing with those cartoon penguins. Also, he's wonderful in his "unbilled" role as the elderly Mr. Dawes, Sr. Notice, though, that Cubby Broccoli in that attempt to imitate Mary Poppins that was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang had Van Dyke speak in his natural accent.

As for horrible accents, I've only seen the promos, but what's with Kate Hudson's awful accents in Alex & Emma?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TeeHeeTeeHee Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Ah, but i wonder how many empire readers have an oscar sitting on there mantle piece, me thinks 1 nil to Connery!
    Now that Terminator 3 is out, this brings up a question. . .why isn't Arnold on this list? I mean, come on, his characters usually have these very American names and yet he sounds like he just walked out of an Austrian gasthaus! And why did those futuristic machines program their Terminator line of robots to have that accent?

I'm just sniping, of course, but I think saying Connery has the worst film accent is sniping at a much greater level. People don't go to Connery films to see his mastery of different accents--they go to see Sean Connery (and the same is true of Arnold). That said, my favorite Connery accent moment comes in First Knight, when he shouts to the imprisoned Lancelot, "Tha LAW ish going ta deal with YEW!"
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited July 2003
    I'm with Hardyboy--Connery's much too easy a target.There's a great scene in Mel Gibson's comedy,What Women Want.Gibson's character is watching The Hunt For Red October.Connery's Russian(!) submarine captain gives a speech in which he talks about "Our great ad-VARE-saree,the United States..."
    Gibson smiles and responds(in a perfect imitation of Sir Sean),"Ad-VARE-saree??No,no dear boy--it's ADversary..." By now,most everyone knows that Connery's accent is "unique",to say the least.

One could also complain about Connery's Arab chieftain in The Wind and the Lion.Or his equally unusual Westerner in Shalako.Ultimately that's pointless.(Why not complain about John Wayne's Mongolian accent in The Conqueror,as well?"Yer Beyooteeful in yer wrath,"The Duke informs his captive--the lovely red-haired and green eyed Asiatic maiden played by Susan Hayward...)

Big stars rarely have to sound right or even look appropriate for the roles they play onscreen.They're hired because they're famous and because audiences want to see them.Look at Dustin Hoffman's Captain Hook in Hook,for example.Now there's miscasting. At least in Sir Sean's case,he is of Irish ancestry and he looks like a son of the Old Sod.Of course,when he starts to talk,all bets are off....

W.G.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Now that Terminator 3 is out, this brings up a question. . .why isn't Arnold on this list? I mean, come on, his characters usually have these very American names and yet he sounds like he just walked out of an Austrian gasthaus! And why did those futuristic machines program their Terminator line of robots to have that accent?

Well, in that Arnie doesnt play a Russian sub captain, with a Scotish accent. Now, playing James Bond or that guy in First Knight can excuse the Scotish accent, but not a Russian Sub capt.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Quoting taity:
    [Now, playing ... that guy in First Knight can excuse the Scottish accent.
    Not even that Taity! He played King Arthur in First Knight, a medieval English King! Scotland and England couldn't have been farther removed back then...
    unitedkingdom.png
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    Well King Arthur certainly wasn't speaking English then, English didn't exist as a language, so what accent would be considered "correct" for King Arthur?. From what I recall (please feel free to coreect me if I'm wrong) King Arthur was a Celt and the language then was a mixture of celtic languages and latin (courtesy of the Roman invasion), so a Scottish accent is as good as any other used in that film, more viable than many of the English accents used and it sure beats Richard Gere's. ;)

But it's funny, everyone else in this top ten gets slammed for "putting on" an accent and Connery is getting slammed for not putting one on. Really, any list that doesn't have Costner for "Robin Hood" or Kenneth Brannaugh for "Wild Wild West" is severely misjudged anyway. :p

MBE
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited July 2003
    Just to touch up on your British history lecture, Arthur is a legend. There is a strong chance that there may well have been a real King Arthur but no one knows for sure where or who he was, most historians point to him being Cornish and, in some cases, Welsh - so no Scottish isn't really as good as any other.

The enduring image of Arthur is that he was a Briton King, who would speak the early forms of English, at that time a Britonnic/Latin mix. Any historical basis to the character would be that he rose to fame as a warrior battling the Germanic invaders. Unless the entire cast was to be subtitled and speak an ancient language (and setting aside that the film is based on the legend and not history), the best accent to sit with the legend is Ye Olde English. So no once again, Scottish isn't really as good as any other accent and most of Scotland at that time spoke Scots, Gaelic or the unknown Pictish anyway.

He most certainly was not a 'Scottish' figure going by history and, contrary to popular belief, the population of Scotland was not entirely Celtic - there were Britons and Angles in the lowlands south of the River Clyde and Picts to the north, the rest being Scots (Celts). The Romans never made it any further north than the River Clyde because of the devasting allied Pictish-Scots raids.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited July 2003
    Yes I know Arthur is a legend or rather his origins and true personage are rather nebulous but he's supposed to have existed circa the 6th century a couple of centuries before ye olde english took hold (with the germanic invaders). Granted, I shouldn't have said the Scottish accent was more viable but it was 4am when I posted (mea culpa), but to me a modern Scottish accent was as viable as and any modern English accent which is just a different language than anything spoken circa 6th Century. But maybe Connery should have spoken in a latin accent though. ;) Or maybe they should have done the film in the ancient language and just given us subtitles like Mel Gibson is now doing with his film on Jesus told in Aramaic and Latin. (my that's going to be a blockbuster!) Basically I think it's just fairer to get on Connery for using a Scottish accent as a Russian (or was it Ukranian? ir Georgian?) submarine capt or Irish-American Chicago cop than a semi-mythical legendary figure who spoke a dead language when everyone around him in the cast wasn't speaking it either.

Then again as said, he's hired probably as much for his famous accent and voice as anything else, and people would be dissapointed if he altered it. I know I perk up even when I just hear him doing banking/investment commericals during golf coverage. :))

MBE
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    They should've listed Dennis Quaid for Dragonheart(?) co-starring Sean Connery. It was a period piece set in Europe and Quaid spoke straight out American throughout.

I mean he didn't even try to speak any form of Brit. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    What inspired you to bring back this topic, Rogue? Have you been drinking out of Sweepy the Cat's cup or something?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    What inspired you to bring back this topic, Rogue? Have you been drinking out of Sweepy the Cat's cup or something?

Surfing through old threads on the site and couldn't resist I guess. :))

I realize it's pretty ancient. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited October 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    They should've listed Dennis Quaid for Dragonheart(?) co-starring Sean Connery. It was a period piece set in Europe and Quaid spoke straight out American throughout.

Can you imagine Dennis Quaid with a Brit accent? I certainly can't. Of course I give leeway to Rene but then that's a different scenario :))
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    It's interesting that although Connery's accent in The Untouchables is ranked first, I don't think it makes a difference. I still think it was a fantastic performance and I still think he truly deserved his Oscar. For some actors, a bad or wrongly chosen accent can affect the quality of their performance, but I don't think it has ever mattered in the case of Connery. Whether in the case of The Untouchables or Highlander or The Hunt for Red October I don't consider his accent when deciding whether or not I like his performance.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    It's interesting that although Connery's accent in The Untouchables is ranked first, I don't think it makes a difference. I still think it was a fantastic performance and I still think he truly deserved his Oscar.

I think The Untouchables is a fine film, but only another example of why the Oscars are nothing but a laughing stock. Connery's accent was atrocious, and if he gave the best supporting performance of any actor for that entire year - then I'm Auguste Comte!
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    That list is a crock of s***. It's Sean Connery for crissakes. He was hired for Red October because they needed someone on that sub who projected perfect authority, not because they needed the perfect Russian accent. I thought he was absolutely 100 percent believable as the sub captain. Maybe more so than the cast members who used Russian accents. Harrison Ford might have pulled off his Russian sub commander in that other movie -- if he had simply used his own voice. The accent was distracting and unnecessary.

(Just a quick aside, since we've mentioned a Hollywood genre I love -- submarine movies. Neither of those films rose to the level of Crimson Tide, an absolutely modern classic. Not quite up with Das Boot, but real close. And it didn't have the benefit of WWII going for it. Two great actors -- Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington -- mano-a-mano under the sea. No women or love story to screw things up and distract from the drama of tense guys with sweaty upper lips in a tight spot and the fate of the world in the balance. I may have to pop that one into the DVD player tonight. Great flick)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited October 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    That list is a crock of s***. It's Sean Connery for crissakes. He was hired for Red October because they needed someone on that sub who projected perfect authority, not because they needed the perfect Russian accent. I thought he was absolutely 100 percent believable as the sub captain. Maybe more so than the cast members who used Russian accents. Harrison Ford might have pulled off his Russian sub commander in that other movie -- if he had simply used his own voice. The accent was distracting and unnecessary.

(Just a quick aside, since we've mentioned a Hollywood genre I love -- submarine movies. Neither of those films rose to the level of Crimson Tide, an absolutely modern classic. Not quite up with Das Boot, but real close. And it didn't have the benefit of WWII going for it. Two great actors -- Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington -- mano-a-mano under the sea. No women or love story to screw things up and distract from the drama of tense guys with sweaty upper lips in a tight spot and the fate of the world in the balance. I may have to pop that one into the DVD player tonight. Great flick)

Thanks, HH {[] As is usually the case, I'm with you :) For my own part, I never gave Connery's accent a second thought in Red October---or Untouchables, for that matter. Both are bravura performances.

Might as well condemn all those movies for portraying ancient Romans (and Nazis) with immaculate British accents :))

And I'm with you on on submarine pictures, as well B-) Here's one: The Enemy Below, with Robert Mitchum and Curt (TSWLM) Jurgens. Great stuff.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I love submarine films as well. How about Run Silent Run Deep with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. Or Destination Tokyo with Cary Grant.
    edited October 2007
    Connery's accent was atrocious
    That's my point. Connery's accent wasn't great but I don't think it affected the quality of his performance one bit. ;)
    and if he gave the best supporting performance of any actor for that entire year - then I'm Auguste Comte!
    Hi Auguste. :D I haven't seen every film released in 1987, ;) but, yes, IMO Connery did give the best supporting performance of the year. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited October 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    I completely agree. To me, an accent is just one part of a performance, and sometimes it may not be needed. I think it depends on the role as well as the actor; with some roles demanding certain accents (James Bond may need a Commonwealth/UK accent) and with some actors able to put on different accents with no problems. But Connery has never put on a different accent, and I don't see any problem with it. He is still a brilliant actor whom is often one of the best things about his films. :))
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    That's my point. Connery's accent wasn't great but I don't think it affected the quality of his performance one bit. ;)

If you listen closely to the scene where he meets Costner's character on the bridge, he actually attempts an Irish accent. Fine. No problem.

The problem is when he virtually forgets (either that, or is too lazy) about it afterwards and suddenly there's a massive continuity error in the film. If he'd been consistent one way or the other, then that would've been better. Still, in my opinion there were inumerable better performances that year. The Oscars are a poor judge of any achievement, let alone best performances! They only gave it to him because he's Sean Connery, and because it was about time he got one! It's happened too many times. In fact - it happened this year with Alan Arkin, too!

Had any other actor dropped his accent part-way through a film, then he'd be panned by every critic and movie-fan going. The fact that it was Sean Connery shouldn't be relevant - you can't overlook a gaping problem like that simply because he's been good in other films! Just my opinion, anyway.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,743MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Can you imagine Dennis Quaid with a Brit accent? I certainly can't.

True- I have an odd sort of respect for big movie stars who decide that an accent isn't that important: Robin Hood as an American? Sure why not- call Kevin. The thing is; it doesn't really matter! It's so silly and fun that his accent manages not to matter. After all, once you've swallowed the idea that Kevin Costner's dad is Brian Blessed... :)

Of course, James Bond with an American accent would be plain wrong :) And it so nearly happened in '83...
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    And I'm with you on on submarine pictures, as well B-) Here's one: The Enemy Below, with Robert Mitchum and Curt (TSWLM) Jurgens. Great stuff.
    Alex wrote:
    I love submarine films as well. How about Run Silent Run Deep with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. Or Destination Tokyo with Cary Grant.

I promise I won't hijack the thread, but those are all classics. One of the big pleasures of Crimson Tide[i/]for me is the scene in which the crew compete to see how many submarine movies they can name. Those three came up.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,743MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    I promise I won't hijack the thread, but those are all classics. One of the big pleasures of Crimson Tide[i/]for me is the scene in which the crew compete to see how many submarine movies they can name. Those three came up.

I don't suppose 'Down Periscope' got a mention? :) No, probably not.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    I like connery cos he's connery, regardless of him playing British, italian, japanese or Arab with his one voice
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I saw a version of Robinson Crusoe from the mid 90's, in which Brosnan does a Scots accent that does not quite make it across the Irish sea. I guess that makes it even.