Connery has "worst film accent"

2»

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Connery's accent was atrocious
    That's my point. Connery's accent wasn't great but I don't think it affected the quality of his performance one bit. ;)

I'll go yes and no on that one. Part of believing that a part is realistic is getting the voice right. Connery dominated the screen as the captain, thats true. I wont argue with that. It doesnt change that that Russian Submarine captain did not sound russian. Dan that may not put you off, but it was a huge stumbling block for me.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    I'll go yes and no on that one. Part of believing that a part is realistic is getting the voice right. Connery dominated the screen as the captain, thats true. I wont argue with that. It doesnt change that that Russian Submarine captain did not sound russian. Dan that may not put you off, but it was a huge stumbling block for me.
    It comes down to basically what one can accept and forgive. As I'm not an authority on authentic accents, I've always been pretty forgiving of actors with bad/minimal accents. However I can certainly understand why other people wouls be put off.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,842MI6 Agent
    I was surprised to see Maryl Streep (Out of Africa) on the list. I think she sounded like an educated dane in that movie. Danish sounds a lot like the swedish cook in The Muppet show and it sounds nice but sometimes it's hard to understand :). If they remember not to soften those consonants while speaking english but some of the intonation remains, they would sound something like Streep.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I was surprised to see Maryl Streep (Out of Africa) on the list. I think she sounded like an educated dane in that movie. Danish sounds a lot like the swedish cook in The Muppet show and it sounds nice but sometimes it's hard to understand :). If they remember not to soften those consonants while speaking english but some of the intonation remains, they would sound something like Streep.

Given your location, Number 24, I'll take that as high praise. I thought her inclusion on the list seemed odd. From what I understand, her Polish in Sophie's Choice was excellent. Streep seems to have a facility with accents -- which has been a source of jokes. I seem to recall Meryl herself lampooning her image as an "accent freak" somewhere.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    She did an Aussie one once - never heard it myself, but I heard she ****ed it up.

Its funny, I always thought that she did a great accent in that movie too, and when you compare her in Out of Africa to something like Devil Wears Prada I think its hard to see that they're the same actor.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    I saw a version of Robinson Crusoe from the mid 90's, in which Brosnan does a Scots accent that does not quite make it across the Irish sea. I guess that makes it even.
    But then when he did try he gave that absolute squirm-in-your-seat, cringeworthy Glaswegian attempt at the end of The Thomas Crown Affair. Urgh. :#
    unitedkingdom.png
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,743MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    I saw a version of Robinson Crusoe from the mid 90's, in which Brosnan does a Scots accent that does not quite make it across the Irish sea. I guess that makes it even.
    But then when he did try he gave that absolute squirm-in-your-seat, cringeworthy Glaswegian attempt at the end of The Thomas Crown Affair. Urgh. :#

True; but then you could excuse that as being his character putting an accent on; and perhaps his character is rubbish at accents :)

Even so; it's still not as bad as Indiana Jones' attempt at a Scottish accent in Last Crusade!
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    True; but then you could excuse that as being his character putting an accent on; and perhaps his character is rubbish at accents :)
    But his character was meant to be a born and bred Glaswegian... Self-made billionaire, brought up in Glasgow and made it to Oxford on a "boxing scholarship".
    unitedkingdom.png