The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited March 2005
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Although I've yet to read a good review of the programme in a newspaper yet ! Did they really watch the same programme as us ?:)
    I've not actually seen a bad review of it yet. The Times, granted, did say the first episode fails to take off plot wise, but admits that it's setting the scene for Rose and the Doctor and concentrates on acting and script. It does go on to say that the series gets much better and a lot, lot darker and has this coming Saturday's episode (showing the destruction of the Earth in the year 5 billion and the last, true human voiced by Zoe Wannamaker) as programme of the week.

Though I was at a friends for dinner on Saturday night, I was gobsmacked when the whole evening stopped at 7 and everyone crowded round the TV to watch Doctor Who. And I was more surprised it got the universal thumbs up.

Quite a relief actually, I thought the BBC were taking a big gamble on a Saturday night, but it seems to have paid off so far!
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,567Chief of Staff
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    I've not actually seen a bad review of it yet.

You obviously read a better quality of newspaper to me then, M5. :D

In the couple I read, Doctor Who got a very poor review indeed - they were nit-picking a little too much for me, it is supposed to be for children and adults alike.

I always expected the first episode to do well in the ratings, maybe not as well as it did, mind. I just hope it can keep most of the audience for the rest of the series, and if the rest are as much fun as the first, it should do that easily.
    YNWA 97
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited March 2005
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    Though I was at a friends for dinner on Saturday night, I was gobsmacked when the whole evening stopped at 7 and everyone crowded round the TV to watch Doctor Who. And I was more surprised it got the universal thumbs up.

Quite a relief actually, I thought the BBC were taking a big gamble on a Saturday night, but it seems to have paid off so far!
    Next time bring along a cam corder. Then everyone raises their glass when Dr. Who begins and shouts, "Hi Alex, too bad you're not here!"

Then I pay for the shipping and handling ;)
    Quoting Alex:

Next time bring along a cam corder. Then everyone raises their glass when Dr. Who begins and shouts, "Hi Alex, too bad you're not here!"

Then I pay for the shipping and handling ;)
    That would be quite cruel!!

BBC are still saying they have no plans to air it on BBC America and they've not sold it to any US stations as yet. The only other country at the moment to get it is Canada, this week, because CBC are involved in the production.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Quoting FROSTY:
    What were your favourite moments from this first new Episode?

Well, there were quite a few for more me and these include:

SPOILERS!!!

1. The opening title sequence with the Tardis travelling through a "wormhole/tunnel" in time and space is impressive. Shame there's no sign of the Doctor's face. The updated theme tune is very much in keeping with tradition and I like it.

2. At the end of Rose's first encounter with the Doctor.

Doctor: "I'm the Doctor, by the way, what's your name?

Rose: "Rose."

Doctor: "Nice to meet you Rose. Run for your life."

3. The Doctor's next encounter with Rose at her flat. This whole sequence is wonderful, not just those moments already mentioned by FROSTY. Other highlights include; The catflap, the Doctor being propositioned by Rose's mum.

Rose's Mum: "There's a strange man in my bedroom."

Doctor: "Yes, there is."

Rose's Mum: "Where anything could happen?"

Doctor: ".........No!"

4. After leaving the flat the Doctor and Rose go for a walk. The Doctor and Rose seperate. The Doctor enters the Tardis and shortly afterwards we hear that epic sound as the Tardis departs.

5. Rose's boyfriend being consumed by the dustbin and then the moment shortly after in the restaurant when his plastic replacement is hit by a champagne cork.

6. The new interior of the Tardis. Very impressive to look at.

7. The London Eye. I will never look at it in the same way again. The special effects were impressive.

I have watched the opening episode three times now and it has got better with each viewing.
    edited March 2005
    Quoting FROSTY:
    1. Do you think we'll find out what "happened" to DOCTOR #8 (Paul McGann)? - presumably that Doctor "died"?
    According to Russel T Davies himself, a regeneration scene was never even thought about. The generation that this series is pitched at are "new" to Doctor Who, they'll have no idea who Paul McGann was, so introducing a leading man and then "changing him" 3 minutes into the show was thought to be way too confusing and dumped at the first hurdle. So no doubt no, we'll never know what happened. And though the Doctor had clearly been elsewhere before checking himself out in the mirror, I still think it was a pretty cool touch.

Favourite moments...

1. The first 2 minutes of Rose going to work, having her lunch, working, and about to leave the shop with her friends. So typical and normal, yet we all know her life is about to be turned upside down, especially when the camera lingers on the dummies as she arrives at work.

2. Doctor - "Why would they be students?"
    Rose - "To get that many people dressed up and acting silly, they just gotta be students"
    "That makes sense, well done!"
    "Thanks!"
    "They're not students."
    Classic dialogue.

3. The moment mentioned above by MNL, when Rose has left the Doctor, only to feel a sudden breeze and hear the strange noise of the TARDIS departing, but by the time she runs back to see what's happening, it's gone.

4. "DAD - IT'S ONE OF YOUR NUTTERS!" LMAO!!! :))

5. The moment when the Doctor pulls of Micky's head, and it opens its eyes and declares "Don't think that's going to stop me!" The guy in the background screaming at that moment was hilarious!

6. Again, with MNL, the "child" autons...creepy.

7. The theme tune - obviously - and incidental music, all very well done and in keeping with the spirit.

Roll on Episode 2!! I've now seen extended clips of Episode 6: Dalek, and if ever there was a moment to hide behind the sofa, it looks like it'll be then!!
    unitedkingdom.png
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Quoting FROSTY:
    2. It struck me as a little bit strange,
    that the NEW DOC hadn't seen his own reflection yet?, to see how he now looks, after his latest Regeneration, as it appears that that Regeneration isn't entirely "brand-new",
    as he's had time to be at the Kennedy Assassination, Krakatoa errupting, and stopped a family from boarding the Titanic, usually, after a Regeneration, a mirror tends to be the Doctor's first port of call!. :))

Oh that's easily (!) explained. He can travel in space and time ... while the events had happened on Earth by the time the Autons were around, the doctor had still to do them in his future.
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    I've now seen extended clips of Episode 6: Dalek, and if ever there was a moment to hide behind the sofa, it looks like it'll be then!!

I don't know how you have managed to see extended clips of Episode 6: Dalek. And I'm not altogether sure I wan't to know how. Part of me is jealous, but the other part says wait till the episode is broadcast because trailers/extended clips can be misleading and raise expectations too highly.
    edited March 2005
    Quoting Moore Not Less:
    I don't know how you have managed to see extended clips of Episode 6: Dalek. And I'm not altogether sure I wan't to know how. .
    Not the same way I didn't manage to watch Episode 1 3 weeks ago... 8-) I agree that it's running the risk of raising my expectations too high, but I seriously doubt it, even if it's only the good bits I've seen in a one part 45 minute episode, I'll be happy!

It'll also be the most exciting thing ever to happen in Utah in about, oooh, a billion years ;)
    unitedkingdom.png
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    Quoting Moore Not Less:
    I don't know how you have managed to see extended clips of Episode 6: Dalek. And I'm not altogether sure I wan't to know how. .
    Not the same way I didn't manage to watch Episode 1 3 weeks ago... 8-) I agree that it's running the risk of raising my expectations too high, but I seriously doubt it, even if it's only the good bits I've seen in a one part 45 minute episode, I'll be happy!

It'll also be the most exciting thing ever to happen in Utah in about, oooh, a billion years ;)

Yes, I think I will have no problems waiting provide that temptation isn't placed in front of me.

It'll be the only exciting thing ever to happen in Utah in about, oooh, a billion years. And (to use a Bond analogy)the world may not hear about it for another, oooh, billion years. ;)
    edited March 2005
    Quoting FROSTY:
    that he wouldn't actually appear in those pictures, UNTIL he'd visited their time zone, and altered their history? - if he has, as you're suggesting, possibly only just Regenerated?.
    Arguments about time travel - don't you just love 'em? It's a sure fire way to mash your mind and end up in the local mental hospital! :))
    unitedkingdom.png
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    BBC are still saying they have no plans to air it on BBC America and they've not sold it to any US stations as yet. The only other country at the moment to get it is Canada, this week, because CBC are involved in the production.
    Quite depressing really. I am not an avid television viewer, but if this program aired, that would change. I'd have one thing to look forward to every week. Those are my tastes, not saying the rest is bad, just can't subscribe time to every single one.

If the show's a prospering success. This would (hopefully) guarantee a slot on the all star BBC America station. Think positive is all I can say.

Because life is cruel without Doctor Who. ;)
    Quoting Alex:
    Quite depressing really. I am not an avid television viewer, but if this program aired, that would change. I'd have one thing to look forward to every week. Those are my tastes, not saying the rest is bad, just can't subscribe time to every single one.

If the show's a prospering success. This would (hopefully) guarantee a slot on the all star BBC America station. Think positive is all I can say.

Why not write to BBC America? I'm sure you're not the only one who wants it shown over in the US?

And Frosty ... just because it hasn't happened in the Doctor's past yet, doesn't mean it hasn't happened in the Earth's past. :s
    Quoting Alex:

The early indication is that the show will be a prospering success. Regardless, the BBC surely cannot ignore the U.S. market. The potential audience and the potential revenue from the sale of merchandise must surely be too big to ignore.

Cheer up, Alex. It's only a matter of time. :)
    Quoting Moore Not Less:
    The early indication is that the show will be a prospering success. Regardless, the BBC surely cannot ignore the U.S. market. The potential audience and the potential revenue from the sale of merchandise must surely be too big to ignore.
    Talking about merchandise, which is due out late summer/early autumn, did you see Chris Eccelston on Jonathon Ross on Friday? He was impressed that the Doctor figure had the likeness accurate enough to capture one ear sticking further out than the other :))
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    According to the MediaGuardian website, in a piece of news which has shocked no-one, Dr Who has had a second series comissioned, plus a Christmas special. Chris and Billie, though having an option to appear in the second series, are not yet signed up permanently. Personally I'm willing to stick another fiver on the licence fee to keep the two of them around (and another tenner to persuade Russell T Davies to make whatever he wants, whenever he wants). Thought the first episode was great, a little too fast perhaps - but there was so much to cram in - and really looking forward to the aliens of next week's show, which look a distinct step above Bertie Bassett and the green painted pantomime horse...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    Oh, and a dinky little thing to make viewers of episode one smile: go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/ and click where it says "lies" at the bottom...

Foreign chaps may like to note the preview of episode two while they're at it. :)

@merseytart
    And to coincide with the showing of episode two, Ecclestone has announced he is to pass on his sonic screwdriver to another actor ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4395849.stm
    Quoting Predator:
    And to coincide with the showing of episode two, Ecclestone has announced he is to pass on his sonic screwdriver to another actor ...

Well good grief, typecast already?!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited March 2005
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Predator:

Well good grief, typecast already?!

'Serious' actors ...dont you just love'em 8-)

The BBC aren't hanging around though,it appears they are lining up David Tennant to take over.As if 'who will be Bond' wasn't bad enough...
    edited March 2005
    Doctor Who is dead, long live Doctor Who!! Indeed, the cynical part of me wonders if this has been the ploy all along*. What better way to resurrect Doctor Who than with a big name actor (and friend of Russell Davies), settle in a new audience, then pass the baton on to a cheaper and relative unknown, and if Scotsman David Tennant is anything to go by, a HUGE Doctor Who fan (and friend of Russell Davies) while the bigger actor escapes "type casting" (which, by the way, didn't seem to stick to Peter Davison...)

David Tennant:
    Anyway, the good news is that there'll be a second series.  I really hope, and it looks very much like, Billie Piper will stick around (god, I never thought I'd hear myself say that...).  The show is bigger than the actor, and just like Bond, it'll carry on regardless.  *report from the 'net...Jane Tranter, BBC Head of Drama Commissioning, had said in a statement reported in the Times that new dramas will face 15 per cent budget cuts to pay for prestige hits such as Doctor Who. "Dr Who and current shows are protected but we have to find a way of making a certain number of dramas at a lower cost," the Times noted, as well as mentioning that "Producers will be told to squeeze out more minutes of drama a day during shoots and star actors face tough salary negotiations. Speaking before the new doctor announced his departure, Ms Tranter said ominously: 'Now we’ve got to start talking to Billie Piper and Chris about what they want to do. There is a mischievous element to it, in that you can keep regenerating the Doctor.'"
    unitedkingdom.png
    I must admit that I am genuinely disappointed to hear of Christopher Eccleston's departure. It's as much to do with the timing of the announcement than anything else. Eccleston's debut performance showed a lot of promise for the future and I was looking forward to see how he developed the character of the Doctor (and the Doctor's relationship with Rose) in the rest of the current series and beyond, but this news has put a bit of a dampner on that.
    Have to be honest, this has made me feel quite down all day, and I wouldn't describe myself as a Whovian at all. But there are two things that bother me about it:

1) Losing Ecclestone, full stop - he was so good in that first show, and so right, and now he's going. I have to say, though, that I'm going to start teaching a course at RADA soon called "The Lazenby Effect - If you take certain parts, you will always be typecast, even if you only last two minutes". He is the Ninth Doctor till the day he dies, whether he likes it or not.

2) Where this leaves the show. Because I can't help thinking that there's a considerable amount of people who'll think, "what's the point in watching if he's going to leave at the end?" Wrong people, but there's a fair few of those about. And if Who fails, I worry that the Beeb will tar all genre pieces with the same brush (as it pretty much has done since the show went off air the first time). If it spends £600,000 an episode on a brave, ambitious, science fiction tv show, and it fails, I can see them just spending that money on another 20000 episodes of Holby City or Airport instead. Did they really have to announce Ecclestone's departure the week after the first episode? Couldn't they have dragged it out a bit longer to let the dust settle? Have they learned nothing from Eon?!?

@merseytart
    edited March 2005
    I totally agree with you jetset, I was floored when I heard the news first thing this morning (it literally woke me up as an alarm) and I've been quite down about it despite being far from a Whovian.

However, the Beeb aren't really the ones to blame here. The statement came from Eccleston himself, no doubt to stop dead the imminent flood of questions on whether he's going to do the second series, confirmed that day.

Give it to the Beeb though, they're moving to replace him fast, which if nothing else shows a level of commitment to keeping the Doctor on our screens.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • RoebuckRoebuck UKPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    Doctor Who is dead, long live Doctor Who!! Indeed, the cynical part of me wonders if this has been the ploy all along*. What better way to resurrect Doctor Who than with a big name actor (and friend of Russell Davies), settle in a new audience, then pass the baton on to a cheaper and relative unknown, and if Scotsman David Tennant is anything to go by, a HUGE Doctor Who fan (and friend of Russell Davies) while the bigger actor escapes "type casting" (which, by the way, didn't seem to stick to Peter Davison...)

This news knocked the wind out of my sails, not so much because Ecclestone is going (he's been hinting for a while that this wasn't to be a long term gig for him) but because my wife remarked during the last episode of Casanova what a great Doctor David Tennant would make. He's got a definite feel for how Russell Davies' dialogue should be delivered. Looking forward to watching him in the BBC 4 Quatermass remake this weekend.

Captain Scarlet, Doctor Who and Quatermass all on the same day - I'm in fanboy heaven. :D
    I'll be sorry to see Ecclestone depart the role as well. I thought they had Ecclestone and Piper signed for a second series, turns out it was just an option. Wrong option ! A second series with the pair of them would/could have been good and then Chris could have moved on - it's great having a Northerner as The Doctor :)
    As jetset points out - this could put a lot of viewers off watching the rest of the series.
    YNWA 97
    edited April 2005
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    As jetset points out - this could put a lot of viewers off watching the rest of the series.
    I really don't think it will. Granted, maybe that's me wanting to believe it won't, but why would it? Did Sean Connery or Roger Moore saying "no more" before their last Bond films were released harm the box office, or subsequent films? There's still 12 other episodes to go - until Wednesday we didn't know there would be any more, it could simply have been a one-off series. Did that put anyone off watching it? Though I'm really, really disappointed that Eccelstone has decided not to return, I've got high hopes for the future of Doctor Who. The production is slick, the scripts are quick and witty and the direction is on the right track - it's survived 8 leading men before, it'll survive another. And it will also introduce the "new" audience to the fact that the Doctor can be regenerated...

Nah, I'm positive about it. Fans of Eccelstone rather than the show might switch off, but I really think we've got it for a good few years to come.
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    it's great having a Northerner as The Doctor
    And it'll be great having another Scotsman as the Doctor too... ;)
    unitedkingdom.png
    Christopher Eccleston is not the most popular actor at the moment. At least judging by the comments made by fans of Dr Who, and so called fans of Dr Who, to the BBC's website. The comments range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Here's the link.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4396437.stm
    Quoting Moonraker 5:
    And it'll be great having another Scotsman as the Doctor too... ;)

Nah ! That's way too far north :))
    YNWA 97
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    News of Eccleston's hasty exit made it to today's New York Times, which mentioned David Thewlis is under consideration to play the tenth Doctor. Thewlis--now there's perfect casting!
    Vox clamantis in deserto